• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

As a fan that attends a lot of USMNT matches, I'm really not that excited about a WC in the States.

Attending the US matches will be like trying to buy tickets to the Super Bowl on steroids. Prices will be insane, and it could be the most demanded ticket of any sporting event ever in the US. Also, I really don't want to take a 2-4 week vacation and stay in the US. With the alternative being getting round trip tickets to each city the days before and after each match, which almost sucks even more. I would much rather keep traveling to countries I've never visited before every 4 years and have easy access to the US matches.

I will say the positive of it being in the US again is that it will be our best chance at ever winning a WC.

I see what you're saying and I agree with siff. Sacrifice.

Also keep in mind I said the Americas, not THE 'Murica.

Without WC 1994 in the US, we wouldn't be where we are today (no MLS, for example). The potential impact of a 2026 WC in the States is beyond comprehension. You may have to sacrifice, sd3.

Totally agree with 94 and then impact it had on soccer in the states and MLS. If soccer isn't #2-#3 by 2026 then I'm not sure it'll ever get there, WC in the states or not. Of course it would help but it should be there by then anyways.

I see what you're saying and I agree with siff. Sacrifice.

Also keep in mind I said the Americas, not THE 'Murica.

There is more than one America?

David Conn ‏@david_conn 2m
Piece about German football: fan-owned clubs, cheap standing tickets, home-coached players, strong amateur clubs http://gu.com/p/3c86n/tw

Jürgen Klinsmann, appointed national coach in 2004, established Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philip Lahm and Lucas Podolski in his team for the 2006 World Cup hosted by Germany. The first wave of true academy graduates stocked Jogi Löw's team that beat England's golden generation of Premier League stars in that brutal defeat in South Africa. Now, of 525 players in the Bundesliga, 60% are German, and the average age of the players is 24. Last season in the Premier League, only 39% of the players were English. Seifert points out that in the Champions League match in Manchester last month, seven of Dortmund's players who dazzled with their possession and adventure were German, while in the City team only the goalkeeper Joe Hart was English.

Hard to see how England failed miserably, while Germany hoisted the World Cup last night.

Christoph Kramer: 'I can't remember the final'

And the let him go back out onto the pitch! That is indefensible.

I saw a suggestion yesterday of allowing a temporary sub for concussed players. The sub becomes permanent if a player isn't cleared after 12 minutes.

I saw a suggestion yesterday of allowing a temporary sub for concussed players. The sub becomes permanent if a player isn't cleared after 12 minutes.

Is there a medical reason for that 12 minutes? Otherwise, that seems oddly specific and arbitrary.

how about a free sub allowed for concussion, followed by a mandatory 1-game break. would hopefully help prevent it being abused. would have to be clearance by a physio to get back on the pitch. could combo with the 12-minute rule to keep teams from faking injury to get a free sub or faking wellness to get them back on the pitch.

I need to see video of this Kramer concussion.

knmb18hiu8pdw2tevmsr.gif

Then they showed him trying to sit up, but he was too much out of it and slumped over. Pretty sick really.

Is there a medical reason for that 12 minutes? Otherwise, that seems oddly specific and arbitrary.

It was just an arbitrary number. The point is the temporary sub with a time limit long enough to discourage teams from rushing the player back, but not short enough to force an automatic injury sub.

It was just an arbitrary number. The point is the temporary sub with a time limit long enough to discourage teams from rushing the player back, but not short enough to force an automatic injury sub.

While its a good idea in theory, if its left to be regulated by the individual team, it will be abused and cheating will occur. Whats to stop a player from faking a concussion? Who deems yes the sub can be made or no it can not? How serious does it have to be to get a sub? Because you know a team will have a player get tackled (resulting in his head touching the ground in some manner) and all of a sudden he now has a concussion and a fresh player is on the field 15 seconds later.

While its a good idea in theory, if its left to be regulated by the individual team, it will be abused and cheating will occur. Whats to stop a player from faking a concussion? Who deems yes the sub can be made or no it can not? How serious does it have to be to get a sub? Because you know a team will have a player get tackled (resulting in his head touching the ground in some manner) and all of a sudden he now has a concussion and a fresh player is on the field 15 seconds later.

The ways the rules can be manipulated is of (far) secondary importance to preventing and properly treating head injuries.

We know that guys who potentially suffer head injuries need to be removed from the game and treated professionally, and cannot be trusted to do so themselves (nor can their teams). So we start from that point of mandatory removal from the match for potential head injuries and work out the rules from there.

I think an impartial doctor would help address those issues. Maybe even have a medical referee to make the call.

Perhaps include that a temporary sub can't come back in the game. There are ways to address concussions in a way that works with the spirit of the game and allows for less manipulation.

I think an impartial doctor would help address those issues. Maybe even have a medical referee to make the call.

Would be tough to have this in every league in the world, but they should have it wherever they can -- a la goal-line technology (and obviously this is way more important)

Back