• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

That 60 seconds is irreverably burned into my memory too. How is there not a youtube of it? That segment basically sums up Fox's soccer coverage for me

For as bad as ESPN can be on many things, thankfully they treat the World Cup with reverence and do not dumb things down at all. See Ian Darke vs Gus Johnson as lead play by play.

I know I'm not a soccer fan, but I bet of other Americans would agree with what I'm about to say. No team that doesn't score in the semi-finals or the finals deserves even to be in overtime much less have a chance to a championship in any sport.

What about a team that doesn't allow a goal in the Round of 16, QF, SF, or Finals until just before OT ends?

Fucking dimwit

You guys are just out to get rj. All you see is his name, not the truly bizarrely ridiculous sports takes. Bunch of meanies.

Was away for the weekend. But ze Germans deserved it. Not happy about it, but they were consistently the best team throughout the WC. And had it gone to PKs, I have little doubt but that ze Germans would have prevailed there as their 5 would have been better than whatever 5 Argentina put out there.

As for Argentina, their defense was great throughout the WC. Romero was rarely tested, except in PKs against Nederlands. Mascherano was fantastic in the knockout rounds. But offensively, they had nothing outside of Messi and di Maria, and with di Maria out, Messi was doubled and triples in the semis and finals whenever he was near the box. And they had nothing else. Aguerro may have been injured, but either way, he was ineffective. Higuain had 1 good game and did little outside of that game. Levezzi offered little, and Palacio was effin' atrocious. For a squad that allegedly went into this thing with a lot of fire power, that offense didn't materialize, and Messi looked a bit gassed at the end. I bet Tevez spent the last few weeks thinking of all he could have done out there (though I realize he's a cancer).

In short, the Argies were the polar opposite of what we expected going in ( explosive offense, questionable defense and goalkeeping).

Look no further than this year's FA Cup Final for what Fox has in store for us in 4 years.

Wynalda and Gus were astronomically stupid.

Ann-Kathrin-Brommel-1.jpg

Mario Gotze's life doesn't suck.

Hopefully it won't be another 20 years until it's back in the Americas.

As a fan that attends a lot of USMNT matches, I'm really not that excited about a WC in the States.

Attending the US matches will be like trying to buy tickets to the Super Bowl on steroids. Prices will be insane, and it could be the most demanded ticket of any sporting event ever in the US. Also, I really don't want to take a 2-4 week vacation and stay in the US. With the alternative being getting round trip tickets to each city the days before and after each match, which almost sucks even more. I would much rather keep traveling to countries I've never visited before every 4 years and have easy access to the US matches.

I will say the positive of it being in the US again is that it will be our best chance at ever winning a WC.

As a fan that attends a lot of USMNT matches, I'm really not that excited about a WC in the States.

Attending the US matches will be like trying to buy tickets to the Super Bowl on steroids. Prices will be insane, and it could be the most demanded ticket of any sporting event ever in the US. Also, I really don't want to take a 2-4 week vacation and stay in the US. With the alternative being getting round trip tickets to each city the days before and after each match, which almost sucks even more. I would much rather keep traveling to countries I've never visited before every 4 years and have easy access to the US matches.

I will say the positive of it being in the US again is that it will be our best chance at ever winning a WC.

Noted. Someone please inform FIFA and US Soccer that a potentially game-changing event for the sport in this country doesn't ideally fit sd3's vacation schedule. :thumbsup:

Without WC 1994 in the US, we wouldn't be where we are today (no MLS, for example). The potential impact of a 2026 WC in the States is beyond comprehension. You may have to sacrifice, sd3.

Back