• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

In tennis that definitely wouldn't have been a foul

If this were football, all the players would have been flagged for vaginitis by now

Baseball would never allow this amount of extended, tied play before

Basketball would never support this level of referees tampering with results

http://www.82games.com/random16.htm

Comparing regular FT's to Penalty kicks is not close to being a like for like comparison.

It's more like Technical FT's vs Penalties, which work out to about the same conversion rate as penalties which some seem to be bitching about being "too easy".

Overall the league is shooting FT's as follows:

.792 Technical FT's
.744 Non-Technical FT's

This actually is something of a surprise in that we would have expected the Technical% to be higher. Most units should have a .800+ free throw shooter among the five, and when you factor in the Billups, Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki types we would have guessed it would have been .825 or better.

Why is comparing Technical FTs a better comparison? Because of the type of foul or the pressure or that they don't happen as often? In reality, free throws are not a good comparison at all to penalty kicks in terms of how often people score or how easy they are. Free throws are obviously way easier than penalty kicks. I was using them as a comparison to the punishment/reward that comes with a foul. The conversion may be similar but the circumstances are not at all similar. Basketball is much higher scoring. Scoring in soccer is much more difficult and the opportunity prior to a foul is very different in each sport. I picked basketball as a comparison because I know more about it, the type of punishment is similar (a free try at scoring), and flopping is also a problem.

The flaw I notice in basketball and which it appears is present in soccer (but I won't pretend I know enough to definitively say it is) is the incentives/disincentives for fouls. Basketball players flop because the incentive to maybe get a foul called is greater than the incentive of the chance they have at scoring (or getting scored on) in a given situation. It seems like it's the same for soccer, except the incentive of a penalty kick for getting fouled in the box is huge. Even the incentive for getting fouled outside the box seems like it's at least as large as the incentive in basketball.

I'm not trying to "bitch about penalties being too easy" or point out flaws in soccer because I know that penalties aren't easy and I don't know enough to intelligently point out flaws in soccer. But some people pretend like there aren't any. I'll admit that sports I know more about have flaws because there are flaws in pretty much every sport. I'm just asking people who know enough to know the impact it would have on the game to change this incentive by changing how PKs are awarded or moving the spot back.

Greece is utterly impotent. That was a pitiful 5v2.

There are two dudes in this Greek side directly responsible for Fulham's relegation, so fuck em.

lol at the concept of this Greece team scoring 3-4 under any circumstances

You are misunderstanding my point.

My point is their offense is so deficient they take excellent scoring opportunities and botch them

I am NOT saying they are a team that should score 3-4 goals. I am saying they suck at scoring

Back