• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

What's the point of having an official on the line if Navas can jump 5 feet forward off his line? That's just silly. And that's what that ref is there for, correct? They have goal line technology now for goals so it has to be that.

Great win for the Ticos! #CONCACAF(not named Mexico)

Wow, great drama today, but Greece just continues to play really boring soccer.

Why is comparing Technical FTs a better comparison? Because of the type of foul or the pressure or that they don't happen as often? In reality, free throws are not a good comparison at all to penalty kicks in terms of how often people score or how easy they are. Free throws are obviously way easier than penalty kicks. I was using them as a comparison to the punishment/reward that comes with a foul. The conversion may be similar but the circumstances are not at all similar. Basketball is much higher scoring. Scoring in soccer is much more difficult and the opportunity prior to a foul is very different in each sport. I picked basketball as a comparison because I know more about it, the type of punishment is similar (a free try at scoring), and flopping is also a problem.

The flaw I notice in basketball and which it appears is present in soccer (but I won't pretend I know enough to definitively say it is) is the incentives/disincentives for fouls. Basketball players flop because the incentive to maybe get a foul called is greater than the incentive of the chance they have at scoring (or getting scored on) in a given situation. It seems like it's the same for soccer, except the incentive of a penalty kick for getting fouled in the box is huge. Even the incentive for getting fouled outside the box seems like it's at least as large as the incentive in basketball.

I'm not trying to "bitch about penalties being too easy" or point out flaws in soccer because I know that penalties aren't easy and I don't know enough to intelligently point out flaws in soccer. But some people pretend like there aren't any. I'll admit that sports I know more about have flaws because there are flaws in pretty much every sport. I'm just asking people who know enough to know the impact it would have on the game to change this incentive by changing how PKs are awarded or moving the spot back.

That was addressed to all of the once-every-four-years fans that keep complaining about the same BS in every game.

And I think Technicals are much better comparison than regular FT's because it's a special kind of foul/situation where you pick your best converter and the odds are in your favor.

In a close basketball game Technical FT's can severely change the course of the game and the outcome, just like a PK.

I'm not sure about moving the penalty spot...I'm sure it would lower the odds of conversion, but not sure by how much.

Martin Lipton ‏@MartinLipton 38m
By the way, Moreno BROKE HIS SHIN kicking Robben in the first half, after he'd already been fouled by Marquez. That was a penalty, too!

Robben disagrees: “That one was a penalty,” Robben said. “But the other in the first half was a dive. I must apologise.”

“It is something I shouldn’t have done,” he told Dutch television.

Weird dude.

Last edited:
Robben disagrees: “That one was a penalty,” Robben said. “But the other in the first half was a dive. I must apologise.”

“It is something I shouldn’t have done,” he told Dutch television.

The quote I saw originally didn't include the first half part and I think that may have been added. I'm pretty sure he's referring to the one in the second half where he went down, got up then flopped over the defenders leg.

The quote I saw originally didn't include the first half part and I think that may have been added. I'm pretty sure he's referring to the one in the second half where he went down, got up then flopped over the defenders leg.

Yeah, I think something is getting lost in translation.

Yeah, I think something is getting lost in translation.

Well I went and looked up the original quote and he's apparently referring to a different incident than the one where the shin was broken in the first which he says should have been a penalty as well. I don't remember another instance of him going down in the first half but its Robben so odds are he did.

That was addressed to all of the once-every-four-years fans that keep complaining about the same BS in every game.

And I think Technicals are much better comparison than regular FT's because it's a special kind of foul/situation where you pick your best converter and the odds are in your favor.

In a close basketball game Technical FT's can severely change the course of the game and the outcome, just like a PK.

I'm not sure about moving the penalty spot...I'm sure it would lower the odds of conversion, but not sure by how much.

I'll admit to being a once every four years fan, I'll watch Champions League occasionally I guess. Side note, are people surprised about the once-every-four-years fans, or just annoyed? I'm not trying to bash on soccer saying this, but it's somewhere around the 5th most popular sport in the US and a major competition that the US or a US player participates in only happens once every four years. I guess the Gold Cup and the Confederations Cup could be considered major, but as a casual fan I view those as warm ups to the World Cup.

Anyways, technicals may be a better comparison to the type of shot or the situation, but in no way capture the impact a penalty kick goal has. Yes, close basketball games can be decided by one point and the momentum swings that go with that, etc. But don't come anywhere close to the impact a penalty kick goal has on a game. If you think a technical free throw can change the course of a basketball game just like a penalty kick changes the course of a soccer game, that's preposterous.

Well I went and looked up the original quote and he's apparently referring to a different incident than the one where the shin was broken in the first which he says should have been a penalty as well. I don't remember another instance of him going down in the first half but its Robben so odds are he did.

It happened as he was going left to right (so weird with him, right?!!?) and he threw himself to the pitch trying to draw a free kick or penalty.

I posted about it:

Nice dive, Arjen.

The referee was going to blow the whistle to book him for diving but bottled it. UGH.

Judging by the timestamp, looks to have happened around the 22nd or 23rd minute.

It happened as he was going left to right (so weird with him, right?!!?) and he threw himself to the pitch trying to draw a free kick or penalty.

I posted about it:

Judging by the timestamp, looks to have happened around the 22nd or 23rd minute.

Ah right. Remember that now. Thx

Maybe they could do more like hockey does with a compilation of penalties and go "man down" for 2 minutes or 5 minutes after getting 2 or 3 fouls. Or 2 flops. Go to a penalty box. Then come back in.

Side note, are people surprised about the once-every-four-years fans, or just annoyed?.

I think people that watch the sport more frequently only get annoyed when these once-every-four-years fans come in saying what the game needs to do to be better and why it sucks in its current state.

It would be as if a person that never watched basketball except for in the Olympics went into a basketball thread and just started talking about all the rules that they thought were stupid and what should be done to fix the game.

I think I'm gonna go around telling baseball fans that pitchers should have 15 seconds to throw the ball once they get it and that games that goes past the 12th inning should be decided by a home run derby

Back