• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

I think I'm gonna go around telling baseball fans that pitchers should have 15 seconds to throw the ball once they get it and that games that goes past the 12th inning should be decided by a home run derby
I think you're on to something here. But what are the details?

Do you have 5 guys that each get one swing to hit a home run? Or is it one guy from each team and you see how many times he can go yard in x attempts? And who is pitching? These are all important questions that must be answered.

Maybe they could do more like hockey does with a compilation of penalties and go "man down" for 2 minutes or 5 minutes after getting 2 or 3 fouls. Or 2 flops. Go to a penalty box. Then come back in.

That would be terri-bad. So terrible. That just completely changes the game and strategy to something it never really has been, doesn't seem natural to the game, and doesn't really make historical sense.

I think people that watch the sport more frequently only get annoyed when these once-every-four-years fans come in saying what the game needs to do to be better and why it sucks in its current state.

It would be as if a person that never watched basketball except for in the Olympics went into a basketball thread and just started talking about all the rules that they thought were stupid and what should be done to fix the game.

That sounds fair. So like the old men that come and talk about the Spurs and how they play the right kind of basketball when they do well in the playoffs?

I like soccer a lot and think it's a great game. There probably is less wrong with soccer than a lot of sports, there is less to mess up with a game as fluid as soccer is, outside of the laughably corrupt FIFA and flopping. I see moving the spot back as a similar change to raising the mound in baseball, more as a response to the game rather than fixing it. I wish it were more popular in the US, I'd probably like it better than baseball or hockey. It's just tough when all the best leagues are in Europe.

What's the point of having an official on the line if Navas can jump 5 feet forward off his line? That's just silly. And that's what that ref is there for, correct? They have goal line technology now for goals so it has to be that.

Great win for the Ticos! #CONCACAF(not named Mexico)

Sadly, there are a number of violations hardly ever called. keeper off the line on a pk is one. Also, on goalkeeper punts it is a "hand ball" if the ball is outside the eighteen when it is kicked or handled by the keeper, irregardless of where the he is, feet and all. only thing that counts is where the ball is. we see it all the time, yet it is NEVER called.

I think you're on to something here. But what are the details?

Do you have 5 guys that each get one swing to hit a home run? Or is it one guy from each team and you see how many times he can go yard in x attempts? And who is pitching? These are all important questions that must be answered.

Well, the pitcher would have to be from the same team as the hitter or perhaps a ball machine to insure maximum fairness. I'm thinking 3 hitters with 3 swings each with the hitters going in alternating order.

I do admit Id be interested in seeing some experimentation in preseason or friendlies of moving the spot from 12 to 15 yards. Is that far enough back to eliminate the need for GKs to guess but still close enough that its a major punishment? That would take some luck out of the equation and add more of a skill element which I don't think would be a bad thing.

I think moving it back would eliminate the paneka and I'm NOT willing to make that sacrifice.

A buddy and I were talking about the goalkeeper play today, and in the tournament in general. It's been a great couple of weeks for smallish keepers (Ochoa, Navas).

Watching "In Bruges" to prepare for the Belgians, goddamn I forgot how good this movie is.

Don't be stunned if Germany goes out tonight, btw. Something is just not right inside that team.

Huh?!? They're playing Algeria. Ze Germans probably dined on grilled desert fox last night, which is bad because desert foxes are really cute. The last 2 days have been good outside of the reffing of CONCACAF matches, but today is god awful. I don't see anyway France and ze Germans don't win their games by multiple goals. The only way these games would be interesting is if they replaced Algeria and Nigeria with Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana.

The bigger question is who to root for this weekend between France and ze Germans. Whichever of those 2 I choose to root for, I'll probably need to shower afterwards.

Back