• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Case Scenario... Ron's Next Coach and Why

In past conversations with him last Summer doubt it will happen...but been around long enough to agree that $$$ talks...

Just looked it up...he makes $225K at State. No one in their right mind, especially a coach who knows their career could disappear pretty quickly, would turn down the chance to earn an additional $4.7+ million dollars over the next 4 years. That said, there's no way Wellman offers him the job anyway, right?

Assuming a "somewhat believable" criterion, I suggest Indiana assistant Steve McLain. That's not to say that he has no redeeming qualities as a coach, but his hiring would trigger a riot because...
-Last postseason success was in 2002 with Wyoming (the kind of thing that you could imagine Ron selling you on in a nightmare scenario)
-The Indiana connection calls back a laughable comparison Ron made about our rebuilding project vs theirs
-He was an assistant under Bz at Colorado. That might not go over so well

Or we could wait a year and hire Dave Bliss when he is eligible for reinstatement.

Lutz wouldn't be worst case. He ain't the long term guy, but he would be a good step up if our first picks say no. He got Charlotte in the tourney and was pretty reliable there. He is certainly better then bz

Pulling out my sarcasm from the "Gimme your top 5" thread

#1) Kevin O'Neill - he's 57, below .500 record for his career, nobody likes him - the perfect Wellman hire. Will make [Redacted] look like a fucking rock star.
#2) Buzz Peterson - let's replace Bz with Buzz - I mean UNCW did beat the Deacs and that's a prerequisite for the hire, right? ACC ties too!!
#3) Jim O'Brien - ex head coach of the Celtics, Sixers, & Pacers. Totally destroyed the University of Dayton bball program going 10-47 his last 2 years there. Got to love the Ex-NBA type that can destroy a program!!
#4) Oliver Purnell - hey, while we are on ex-Dayton Flyer coaches - 26 years as a head coach with 6 NCAA appearances and 0 wins.
#5) David Greene - Mr. Kotter from Fast Break got some big wins and paid $60/win. Righteous bucks!! Go Cadwallader!!

Pee Wee Herman.

you did say worst case. also it would be amazing

Exactly. I think Mooney would be a real possibility with Ron. If he hires Mooney, get used to a bunch of 18-14 seasons with a few NITs.

Not advocating for Mooney, but that is what Mooney pulls at Richmond (along with a Sweet 16 appearance), why would he be unable to raise that ceiling at WF?

Not advocating for Mooney, but that is what Mooney pulls at Richmond (along with a Sweet 16 appearance), why would he be unable to raise that ceiling at WF?

Because of his system his teams have been killed in rebounding 10 years in a row and it is impossible to be great with that strategy.

I'd add recruiting to FckVwls reason. I just don't think he's gonna get a bunch of 4*s to want to play his system. And I'm not saying Mooney is a bad coach or anything. I just think he'd struggle at a high major.

I firmly believe that coaches that are possession winners (more turnovers forced and offensive rebounds then they give up) translate better to high major college basketball than coaches that have won previously on efficiency alone. Jeff [Redacted] is an efficiency coach. Chris Mooney is an efficiency coach. Steve Donahue is an efficiency coach. I bet I could prove it with statistics if I had a week to study it.

Mooney is way too similar to [Redacted] to hire now, but, back in 2010, Mooney was the superior candidate to [Redacted] in approximately every possible way and therefore the logical candidate given Wellman's supposed criteria.

Back