• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Case Scenario, Strong Possiblity of an Invitation to the CBI

Reaction score
Before I begin, I must state that I have been Buzzout since his first year at WFU. Anyway, with tonight's win and another win against BC, which is a very strong possibility, then we could finish the regular season 16-15 (6-10) (I do not see us beating Duke or Miami on the road). Even if we lose in the 1st Round of the ACC Tourney, then we still finish .500 at 16-16. However, if we some how win the 1st Round game, then we could finish the season 17-16. Granted, I do not believe this record would be strong enough to qualify us for the NIT, but it could be enough to receive an invitation to either the CBI or the CIT (The CIT is designed more for teams from mid-major conferences).

Last year, both Texas and Purdue each made the CBI with records below .500. Texas was 16-17 and Purdue was 15-17. In 2012, both Pitt 17-16 and Washington St 15-16 both made the CBI as well. Therefore, there is precedent that teams the "Power Conferences" with either a .500 record or slightly below .500 can qualify for the CBI.

Therefore, there is a very strong chance that WFU could receive an invitation for the CBI this season. First, do ya'll think we would accept this invitation? Furthermore, if WFU makes a run in the CBI to the Finals or even wins it, then do you think that this would be enough evidence of "progress" for Welleman to give Bz an extension? Or is there a chance that just finishing either at .500 or slightly above .500 and being invited to the CBI is considered "progress" as well?

Texas and Purdue were also top 100 in KenPom.

Wake won't make the CBI unless we get to 18 wins.

You have to think our weak SOS and RPI is going to prevent us from going to any type of post-season tournament.

You pay to be part of the CBI. We are not going to do that when our home attendance is so poor.

This seems very obvious, but the worst case scenario is not a CBI appearance.

We would not accept a bid to anything below the NIT. I think this has been discussed before. We would lose a good bit of money if I remember correctly. However, the AD could spin this as "postseason for a young team."

If wake did go to the CBI I would want to see Battle doing all the coaching and Buzz watching from home

You pay to be part of the CBI. We are not going to do that when our home attendance is so poor.

My concern would be, if RW advocates for us to take a CBI bid, that it would be an indication that he actually wants to try to keep Bzz for another year.

If we didn't take it the year we got snubbed from the NIT (JJ and JT's frosh year) we won't take it now.

Completely disagree. If Wellman wants to prop up Bz, he will take it. Last time we were better than the CBI as a program. We aren't now.

Ranger, I hope not, but there would be no reason to pursue the CBI option if RW were planning on making a coaching change, IMO.

Highly doubt we would get a CBI invite. The CBI generally doesn't take teams from power conferences. Usually only two or so per year.

Highly doubt we would get a CBI invite. The CBI generally doesn't take teams from power conferences. Usually only two or so per year.
Agree with this. And they would not select a power conference team that went 2-11 in away/neutral games. I doubt we get a CBI bid.

No need to be worried about a thing. He gone.

Paying to get knocked out of the first round of a terrible terrible tournament isn't going to prop up anyone. To entertain this idea, you have to believe that Wellman has completely lost his ability to make a rational decision.

I know lots here believe that, but you would be better served to assume these people are rational actors.

I am sure we could get a CBI bid if we wanted one.

My concern would be, if RW advocates for us to take a CBI bid, that it would be an indication that he actually wants to try to keep Bzz for another year.

This is what worries me too. Just because it costs money to go to the CBI does not mean RW wont pay the fees. RW has "invested" a lot into Bz especially after what happened last year, and assuming that RW wants to keep Bz, then why wouldn't RW pay the entry fees to CBI because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Making the CBI provides RW with evidence to both Hatch and The BOT that "progress" was made this season. Furthermore, imagine if WFU actually made a run to the Finals or actually won the CBI, then RW could very easily sell that "progress" is being made.

Back