• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Case Scenario, Strong Possiblity of an Invitation to the CBI

Is there some reason you think he's pursuing a CBI invite?

None whatsoever. I don't think and certainly hope he isn't. I'm just saying, if we hear RW were to be pursuing that option, it could be an indication he wants to do so to support Bzz. I can't conceive any other reason for trying to get into the CBI.

Highly doubt we would get a CBI invite. The CBI generally doesn't take teams from power conferences. Usually only two or so per year.

There is plenty of evidence that we could get an invite to the CBI based on the following teams from "Power Conferences" that accepted invites in the past:

2013 Texas 16-17 and Purdue 15-17
2012 Pitt was 17-16 and Washington St 15-16
2009 St. Johns 16-17 and Oregon St. 13-17

There is plenty of evidence that we could get an invite to the CBI based on the following teams from "Power Conferences" that accepted invites in the past:

2013 Texas 16-17 and Purdue 15-17
2012 Pitt was 17-16 and Washington St 15-16
2009 St. Johns 16-17 and Oregon St. 13-17

Exactly why I said "usually only two or so per year"

If we want to go, all we have to do is pony up the money for the invite. But there is no way Wellman will do that.

This is what worries me too. Just because it costs money to go to the CBI does not mean RW wont pay the fees. RW has "invested" a lot into Bz especially after what happened last year, and assuming that RW wants to keep Bz, then why wouldn't RW pay the entry fees to CBI because he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Making the CBI provides RW with evidence to both Hatch and The BOT that "progress" was made this season. Furthermore, imagine if WFU actually made a run to the Finals or actually won the CBI, then RW could very easily sell that "progress" is being made.

Randy can find the money..

Even if that happens, bzz declares victory, and moves on is the best result.

Otherwise, he's back..

The honor of getting into the CBI is about equivalent to getting your name listed in the "Who's Who in America" book.

Essentially any team willing to pony up the cash gets a CBI invite. Unless your fan-base fills the house regardless of how lame the tournament/competition is, this tourney is a money loser for the participants (by the way, the CBI final is best 2 of 3). Almost every decision that the athletic department makes is driven by the impact on the bottom line. Given the lack of fan support, hard to see WF going the CBI route and throwing money down the drain. With that said, if you see WF in the CBI in two weeks, that would be a very bad sign that WF is straining to justify keeping Bz around.

Which is why we're afraid. As much as they've done to justify keeping Bz with the cupcake schedule, throwing alums and former players under the bus, disrespecting fans, throwing money at a sham tournament wouldn't be a surprise.

Does a Duke win save Buzz?

Because if it does.... I don't know.

I want to support the players and I really want them to taste postseason play, wherever it is. But I absolutely want a new coach on the recruiting trail this spring/summer and on the sideline next season.

We also have one of the worst/easiest non-conference schedules in history. That will surely have a slight pull in the decision making. I think we'd need 18 wins to even get looked at. Ain't happening folks. Nothing to see here. Keep it moving.

By the way I'm still really disappointed about those home losses to Georgia Tech and FSU. I think if we'd won those games we'd be talking about what we need to do to get into the NIT right now, and I'd be pleased with that. The NIT always has some good teams and is usually pretty entertaining to watch.

I seriously didn't realize there still was a CBI. Thought it had been discontinued. Is it even televised?

I seriously didn't realize there still was a CBI. Thought it had been discontinued. Is it even televised?

I believe that about half of the CBI games, including all of the championship series. were televised by AXS TV, the network that televised our games at the Battle for Atlantis earlier this season.

I believe that about half of the CBI games, including all of the championship series. were televised by AXS TV, the network that televised our games at the Battle for Atlantis earlier this season.

AXS and ESPN3, the Wake Forest networks.

Kenpom has our strength of schedule at 60 now. Pretty sure the CBI would take that.

If we finish at 17-16 do you really think [Redacted] would risk a CBI game that would destroy his first winning season since 2007? Hell no. Ride off into the sunset, Buzzy Boy.

Back