• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Worst Team in ACC History? Wake 2012 might challenge Wake 2011

After this year, which team will be remembered as worst in ACC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw that GATech team play and they were not very good, and the ACC was much better. But Brook Steppe was a damn good player, and a first round pick in the NBA. I think Steppe would destroy anyone on this year's BC team.

OK, no more absolutes (although my comments were intended to convey that having seen both, there is no question in my mind ... even though we dont know how bad BC might be this year).

The most notable single memory from that year was when top-ranked UVa and Ralph Sampson had their way with GIT in Atlanta and Tech's plumber of a center Lee Goza got so frustrated at his inability to compete that he spat in Sampson's face during the game.

Was in 5th grade that year. A buddy of mine and I used to play intentionally bad basketball as Mike Tissaw(Duke) vs. Lee Goza. Just being as spastic as we could: fouling all the time, throwing the ball as hard as we could at the bottom of the rim, etc. Occasionally Glenn Sudhop from State would sub in. Even saying their last names spastically was fun as a 10 year old.

Didn't realize Brooke Steppe wasn't on that GT team, but it makes sense. Will need to see BC play some this year, but 80-81 GT was definitely worse than 10-11 Wake.

Based on some quick research Steppe played in 1979-1980 and 1981-1982. Not sure why he sat out 1981, but I might recall that he was injured, although it was quite sime time ago. I saw the Ga Tech team from that era at Alexander play against Valvano and the Wolfpack, pre Cardiac Pack, with Chuck Nevitt coming off the bench.

2005-2006 Wake team...fell to last place after losing CP3, but still had the supposed best recruiting class in Wake history as seniors.

2005-2006 Wake team...fell to last place after losing CP3, but still had the supposed best recruiting class in Wake history as seniors.

Yes, we know you have a vendetta against that class, but they were nowhere near the worst team in ACC history. They got an NIT invite.

Based on some quick research Steppe played in 1979-1980 and 1981-1982. Not sure why he sat out 1981, but I might recall that he was injured, although it was quite sime time ago. I saw the Ga Tech team from that era at Alexander play against Valvano and the Wolfpack, pre Cardiac Pack, with Chuck Nevitt coming off the bench.

Academic issues IIRC.

Playing for the Bob Trophy (Staak & Wade). No expectation is too low.

What really hurt that Ga Tech team was that Brooke Steppe missed the season. He was their team in '79-'80 and was an excellent player. Spent five years in the NBA.

It was a strange thing for Tech to be as bad as they were that year. They had some nice players in the mid '70s which went on until the year before they joined the league. Then, the year they started was Steppe's first year as a Juco transfer.

Everyone was pretty shocked at how good he was. There was a little bit of talent on that team but they basically just quit.

ETA: Got to this thread late so didn't realize Steppe had already been mentioned.

They sure as hell shouldn't have got one, though. I caught hell on this board for saying that back then...but it was the truth. That team basically quit during the middle of the year. Why should they be rewarded with a post-season bid at 16-16 (or whatever they were) & a 3-13 ACC record that would deprive some deserving mid-major team that played its ass off and went something like 20-7....and got snubbed by the NIT? I knew they were just going to mail in a non-effort from Minnesota. I knew it. And I was right....to the tune of 73-58. There wasn't any justifiable reason in the world for that team, with that attitude, to get that bid. The honorable thing for the athletic department to do would have been to decline it. All they accomplished was to embarrass themselves one final time.

I remember that horrible Minnesota game.

They sure as hell shouldn't have got one, though. I caught hell on this board for saying that back then...but it was the truth. That team basically quit during the middle of the year. Why should they be rewarded with a post-season bid at 16-16 (or whatever they were) & a 3-13 ACC record that would deprive some deserving mid-major team that played its ass off and went something like 20-7....and got snubbed by the NIT? I knew they were just going to mail in a non-effort from Minnesota. I knew it. And I was right....to the tune of 73-58. There wasn't any justifiable reason in the world for that team, with that attitude, to get that bid. The honorable thing for the athletic department to do would have been to decline it. All they accomplished was to embarrass themselves one final time.

That team that "quit" went into the final regular season game with a 14-15 record and knowing they couldn't play in the NIT with a losing record. They proceeded to win that game, then win 2 games in the ACC Tournament (getting us to the rare Saturday ACC Tourney game for us), before putting up a good fight against Duke in the semis.

With the chips down, those quitters rallied to get into the postseason.

They then played like dogshit against Minnesota.

odom would have had that team on the bubble

:couch:

2011 Wake is the Voldemort of Wake bball seasons. I fear it so much that I dare not speak of it.

Back