• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would Grobe have stepped down if:

Pilchard

Reaction score
While we await news about the next FB coach, curious to get others thoughts about what led us to Grobe's resignation.

Do you think that:

a) Grobe had his mind set on stepping aside regardless of how the 2013 season played out?

b) After the stumbling finish with 5 straight losses, Grobe decided, on his own, to step down?

c) After the Vandy loss and in the wake of 4-8 season with continuing declining offensive performance, Wellman gave Grobe the ultimatum: new offensive staff or WF is going to go in another direction, and Grobe remaining loyal to his staff decided to resign?

d) Some other theory.

If you think (b), would Grobe have decided to step down if or if you think (c), would the ultimatum have comedown if:

1) Jordan Matthews had not made that ridiculous catch to keep Vandy's final drive alive;

2) Mathews had not made the catch and if WF had hung on against Miami to finish 6-6 and go to a lower-tier bowl, even with lingering concerns about the direction of the offense;

3) Or winning two games to go 6-6 would not be enough absent clear improvement from the offense; so, Wellman was going to give the ultimatum even if WF had been 6-6.

I think that Wellman nudged Grobe out with the assistants ultimatum, and would have done so unless WF had finished at least 6-6. I think Wellman cares about football attendance more than basketball, and the growing loss of ticket revenue and the WF football interest drain drove the decision.

Last edited:
He looked very calm, relieved, content and almost happy at the presser. I think he's been waiting on this since this season fell apart two months ago.

You can play the "what if" game forever, but if Camp doesn't get hurt against Syracuse, do we see a coaching change? I say no, because I think we would have won against Syracuse, Duke and Vandy.

He was headed out no matter what. He just hoped to leave on a high note as opposed to a low one.

Could be the reason why a lot of people thought he looked really disconnected and apathetic this year.

He looked very calm, relieved, content and almost happy at the presser. I think he's been waiting on this since this season fell apart two months ago.

Interesting the different views of how people view the way he looked yesterday I have heard everything from he looked worn down, happy, sad, relieved, defeated etc.

I think he went into this season wanting to give it a final go around and see if he could turn things around. You heard the rumors at the end of last year that he was going to retire and he came out and said that wasn't true and he was coming back. I think he thought about leaving at the end of last year and felt with the players he had returning he wanted to give it another go and see if he could get Wake to a winning season. My guess is sometime between the Duke loss and Sunday he made the choice to leave but I believe him when he said he had thought about it for a long time. I don't believe he went into this season just trying to collect a paycheck.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he left with the current class of Seniors. I don't think he had his mind made up, but he was leaning toward resigning before the season started. After losing 11 games in the 4th Quarter over the past two seasons, he decided enough was enough.

Having watched the presser, my sense was that Grobe is just defeated. The triple option stuff was his last gasp. When it failed miserably, he just threw his hands up and decided to call it quits. He is plum out of ideas and he genuinely believes that the time has come to turn the reins over to someone with new ideas and a fresh perspective.

Why does it matter? Does it influence our ability to look forward to a successful future?

We need to get over the cult of personality around Wake sports and focus on winning.

Why does it matter? Does it influence our ability to look forward to a successful future?

We need to get over the cult of personality around Wake sports and focus on winning.

Likewise, why does it matter if this discussion occurs? This is a message board, a proper home for speculation, what-ifs, and discussion that has no influence on anything, anywhere. As one who has dished out more than ample criticism of past events, I would think you would fully support such discourse.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he left with the current class of Seniors. I don't think he had his mind made up, but he was leaning toward resigning before the season started. After losing 11 games in the 4th Quarter over the past two seasons, he decided enough was enough.

Having watched the presser, my sense was that Grobe is just defeated. The triple option stuff was his last gasp. When it failed miserably, he just threw his hands up and decided to call it quits. He is plum out of ideas and he genuinely believes that the time has come to turn the reins over to someone with new ideas and a fresh perspective.

I think his last gasp was playing so many true freshman this year.

None of our posting has anything to do with us winning.

Back to the topic, I think a). I think he ran out of energy for this particular job.

I sincerely believe there was no pressure from Wellman. As long as Grobe ran a clean program and the team was moderately competitive, which we were, Grobe could have coached here for the duration.

The reason it matters Ph is because most of us appreciate coach Grobe for the way he has handled himself and what he has shown us is possible for Wake football.

I think Grobe decided this was going to be a make or break year. He put at least 10 true frosh on the field which is unheard of for him. If we had been successful, I think he would still be here. I believe him when he says that he poured everything he had into rebuilding WF the past two years and the stress of so many tough losses finally took its toll. Deserved to go out much better, but at least it was on his own terms...

Sorry, I just recall the "Let it go" days after Odom left. I think the obsession with the personality of our coaches rather than their effectiveness is damaging toward the goal of winning. People get too attached.

If we had won 8 games this season (which turned out to be very attainable) - I think he would've stayed with some renewed optimism.

Back