• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would Grobe have stepped down if:

Sorry, I just recall the "Let it go" days after Odom left. I think the obsession with the personality of our coaches rather than their effectiveness is damaging toward the goal of winning. People get too attached.

This is true to an extent. Last 4 years with Dave Odom were tough. Butler loss was just too much to swallow.

Sorry, I just recall the "Let it go" days after Odom left. I think the obsession with the personality of our coaches rather than their effectiveness is damaging toward the goal of winning. People get too attached.

He coached here for 13 years and was well liked. If people weren't a little attached I would be shocked.

Why does it matter? Does it influence our ability to look forward to a successful future?

We need to get over the cult of personality around Wake sports and focus on winning.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PhDeac again.

I think part of what makes Wake great as an institution is the perception of a small community (whether or not that is reality). For most folks, Wake Forest faculty, staff, and coaches are approachable. We develop an affinity to them because we get to know them. I don't think that should trump everything, but it's important that the "fit" is right. I think you can find coaches that "fit" and still compete at a high level. Grobe was one of those. Skip was probably the best example of that we've ever seen. I realize that fans who don't live near Winston or get back for much might not appreciate that as much as the locals though.

Well, it's only been a day. If people keep going on through next week, then I would understand. However, for many people on the boards, they have only known the Grobe era of football. Also, he did accomplish quite a bit while he was here, even if it wasn't at the end of his time.

In any case, since we are playing the "what if game"; if the Miami receiver doesn't make that ridiculous catch while on his back, momentum doesn't shift to the Hurricanes and Wake wins that game. With that confidence rolling into Syracuse, I think Wake wins that game, even with the injury to Camp. Completely different season, and maybe Grobe does stick around and most people feel good about it. However, I think that Grobe was faced with a tough decision on a personal level on whether to let some assistants go or resign himself. I don't think Wellman made the ultimatum, I think Grobe realized it himself. Combined with his own disappointment over the past few seasons, he chose to resign. So, mostly b.

While we await news about the next FB coach, curious to get others thoughts about what led us to Grobe's resignation.

Do you think that:

a) Grobe had his mind set on stepping aside regardless of how the 2013 season played out? No.

b) After the stumbling finish with 5 straight losses, Grobe decided, on his own, to step down? Yes.

c) After the Vandy loss and in the wake of 4-8 season with continuing declining offensive performance, Wellman gave Grobe the ultimatum: new offensive staff or WF is going to go in another direction, and Grobe remaining loyal to his staff decided to resign? Partially. I don't think Ron had the time to tell him this much, but assuming he told him this last year and this was the put-up-or-shut-up year, he knew it was coming. So I think this was a factor, as I said on another thread.

d) Some other theory. N/A

If you think (b), would Grobe have decided to step down if or if you think (c), would the ultimatum have comedown if:

1) Jordan Matthews had not made that ridiculous catch to keep Vandy's final drive alive; Was a great throw too, but yes on both counts.

2) Mathews had not made the catch and if WF had hung on against Miami to finish 6-6 and go to a lower-tier bowl, even with lingering concerns about the direction of the offense; Maybe not on the first count, but it should have on the second count regardless. Would probably also depend on how anemic our offense was in a bowl game.

3) Or winning two games to go 6-6 would not be enough absent clear improvement from the offense; so, Wellman was going to give the ultimatum even if WF had been 6-6. See above.

I think that Wellman nudged Grobe out with the assistants ultimatum, and would have done so unless WF had finished at least 6-6. I think Wellman cares about football attendance more than basketball, and the growing loss of ticket revenue and the WF football interest drain drove the decision.

I don't know for sure, but my hunch is that he was told at some point he needed to make some staff changes and decided, based partly on that and partly on the fact that he hasn't won and certainly wouldn't next year, to hang it up in lieu of making those changes.

Makes him appear loyal to both his people and WFU, which is certainly the case.

I don't think he would have left based solely on won-loss without some sort of additional mandates, pressure, etc.

Like many, I also can't believe Jim Grobe is gone and Buzz is still the basketball coach.

Wellman is either going to reclaim a bit of goodwill with this hire (unlikely, but I'm hoping) or prove once and for all that WFU sports are really dead. If he doesn't make a wow hire, the new coach is going to have an uphill battle winning back apathetic hearts and minds. I just don't think Wellman has a wow hire in him. I really hope I'm wrong.

Grobe was forced out and has to stay quiet to cash a nice check. Simple as that. I am certain it will come to light in the long/medium run

burning all those shirts, thanking ron wellman over the PA system, being even more lethargic than usual, tell other coaches it had been a pleasure playing them..are these the actions of a man who is planning on sticking around?

only thing I had hoped for when this day came was that he left us SOMETHING in the cupboard, otherwise I think he's going out at the right time for all involved.

Back