• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you rather pay Manning $2M or pay a top assistant $900K to coach at Wake?

Would you rather?

• Total voters
Give me the Michigan assistant dude for 500K.

What does the extra $1.5M do for me as a fan? I can't expect that money would be saved and used to overspend on a coach in the future?

I'd rather our school continue to show a commitment to winning by forking out money than save it for who knows what.

What does the extra $1.5M do for me as a fan? I can't expect that money would be saved and used to overspend on a coach in the future?

I'd rather our school continue to show a commitment to winning by forking out money than save it for who knows what.

assume a monorail

If we aren't hitting a home run with this hire, no need to break the bank. Invest modestly in a young, energetic asst coach with loads of potential that can connect with recruits.

I'd rather have the top assistant for 500k, but that's clearly not realistic.

Are there any numbers/estimates on Wojo's salary at Marquette?

ETA: Looks like Antigua is starting at 900k at USF plus 700k for assistants.

Last edited:
Pragmatically, I doubt Ron would hire an assistant (even though I very much like the idea). He'd probably just hire a crappy head coach for 1.3-1.5 instead of Manning if we get rejected.

You guys are crazy. Invest in a guy who can walk the walk, who has led a team to success, been a national champion and coached for a national champion. He should be able to recruit from a broad territory and develop big men. He's not Shaka but it's time to get over that dream. It didn't happen and won't happen in 2 years either.

Assistant, without question. Sink the rest of the money into recruiting budget, staff, and facilities. Truth is Manning hasn't built a program as a head coach so his head coaching resume isn't much more built out than a top assistant's.

I'll take the Wisconsin assistant too

Has the WI or MI assistant been an assistant on a NC team? Have they taken a team to win a conference championship? Or taken a team to the NCAAT?

Saving a few bucks doesn't make our team better. Saving money is why we're in this mess today. If RW hadn't been trying to save money, Brad Stevens would have been our coach.

Whether we spend $1.8M or $500K or $2.3M on a coach, we have all the money we need to recruit. It's total BS to think otherwise.

I'd much rather take my chances with Danny Manning coming into a recruits house than some no name assistant. If you don't see how much better this is for our program, you are blinded by ignorant hate.

I think the Tulsa reporter that tweeted the $2MM number is trolling us.

Back