• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you support a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA?

??

• Total voters
wrangor must have missed the people who voted yes but qualified it with "If the only choices are the status quo or a full ban, a full ban is better"

Aka, the people who failed to read the question properly.

elaborate

The question is clearly a yes or no on a comprehensive ban. That is not how some people seem to have read it because they answered "yes if the only alternative is no ban" or "yes but with exceptions".

And, actually, contrary to what ITC thinks, 43/57 in favor of a ban on handguns (which would fall within pretty much everyone's qualification) would indicate a significant left lean of the board, as indicated by the 30/70 poll of the general population Wrangor posted. But better to just say "the poll is less than 50/50 so obviously the board isn't slanted" even though the question was slanted in the first place.

conservatives on this board have a serious persecution complex

I am not a conservative. But I do see how much of a liberal echo chamber this place is and this poll is pretty clear supporting evidence. But then the echo chamber is explaining that away.

yeah, not a conservative like RJ is a moderate. and a poll where the clear liberal position loses handily is supporting evidence of a liberal echo chamber? more like clear supporting evidence that conservatives just don't like numbers that disagree with their positions.

and lol at "explaining things away". you and wrangor have multiple posts trying to explain why clear numbers are wrong

Last edited:
then there shouldn't be a problem actually banning them outright.

Sure, I have no problem with banning them. However people act like access to automatic weapons is actually some sort of current problem in america, this is simply not true. People are not walking into a store and buying automatic weapons, this a myth that the media keeps insinuating.

Americas gun control problem is simple, cheap and easy access to handguns with limited regulations and restrictions.

yeah, not a conservative like RJ is a moderate. and a poll where the clear liberal position loses handily is supporting evidence of a liberal echo chamber? more like clear supporting evidence that conservatives just don't like numbers that disagree with their positions.

It's an extremely liberal position because 70% of the country disagrees with it (as some people interpreted it, more as it was actually written).

The question is clearly a yes or no on a comprehensive ban. That is not how some people seem to have read it because they answered "yes if the only alternative is no ban" or "yes but with exceptions".

Yeah, clearly a yes or a no. You can definitely interpret it to mean a no means doing nothing and keeping things the way they are. That's a very reasonable assumption to make.

cool, except we were talking about the boards, not made up stats about national polls. thanks for playing.

Yeah, clearly a yes or a no. You can definitely interpret it to mean a no means doing nothing and keeping things the way they are. That's a very reasonable assumption to make.

I disagree that's a reasonable assumption.

I disagree that's a reasonable assumption.

really? because that's exactly what's happened after the vast majority of mass shootings in this country. the question was asking if you were willing to take drastic measures or do exactly what has been done after every other time this happened (i.e., nothing).

cool, except we were talking about the boards, not made up stats about national polls. thanks for playing.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

Will be interesting to see how the 2015 results shake out, but, in the 2014 poll, 47% of respondents were in favor of more strict gun laws. 43% of the respondents on this board are in favor of outright bans. At a minimum, clearly the board has a significant skew, versus the population, in favor of gun control. There is no sensible way to compare the results of the two polls and come to any other conclusion.

really? because that's exactly what's happened after the vast majority of mass shootings in this country. the question was asking if you were willing to take drastic measures or do exactly what has been done after every other time this happened (i.e., nothing).

Not every problem is solved with knee-jerk, emotion-fueled, unworkable overreactions.

If Townie intended to set-up a false decision he should have done so more clearly.

just to recap, the majority vote here shows that people are opposed to a ban. and national poll numbers are opposed to a ban.

and yet everything is leftist. nailed it

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

Will be interesting to see how the 2015 results shake out, but, in the 2014 poll, 47% of respondents were in favor of more strict gun laws. 43% of the respondents on this board are in favor of outright bans. At a minimum, clearly the board has a significant skew, versus the population, in favor of gun control. There is no sensible way to compare the results of the two polls and come to any other conclusion.

41.89%, please

What is the conservative solution to the gun violence that seems to plague this country (other than mandated two-parent households, of course)?

You are unsmart.

again: wrangor says poll results clearly show board is leftist.

poll ends up skewing heavily against left position

lurker does his best Fox News impersonation to tell us how poll still explains board is left left leaning

Back