• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you support a ban of the sale and possession of all firearms in the USA?

??

• Total voters
Maybe if y'all feel so persecuted for your ideas, you should either (a) do a better job expressing and defending them, or (b) leave.

I do think people give Wrangor too much of a hard time in particular. He consistently tries to be conciliatory and holds a lot of quite moderate positions (not "RJ moderate", either) but people are constantly baiting him with silly insults about being a Christian.

Some of the other board "conservatives" are just trolls and deserve whatever persecution they receive.

again: wrangor says poll results clearly show board is leftist.

poll ends up skewing heavily against left position

lurker does his best Fox News impersonation to tell us how poll still explains board is left left leaning

Again, board skews significantly more liberal on this than the general population. Do you disagree?

Meanwhile, the echo chamber is doing the good whole comparison to 50%, versus the comparison to a result for the general population.

by a narrow margin? lol fine

again, as i've said 3 times now we were talking about the board before you and wrangor realized you were wrong and tried to spin the narrative. but whatever, if you don't like what's being said, change the conversation.

don-draper-shrug.jpg

look, I like guns. I grew up with guns. I own guns. My family has a few Class III weapons (both WWII/antiques but functional). It's time to give up the ghost on handguns and Class III weapons, though.

by a narrow margin? lol fine

again, as i've said 3 times now we were talking about the board before you and wrangor realized you were wrong and tried to spin the narrative. but whatever, if you don't like what's being said, change the conversation.

don-draper-shrug.jpg

look, I like guns. I grew up with guns. I own guns. My family has a few Class III weapons (both WWII/antiques but functional). It's time to give up the ghost on handguns and Class III weapons, though.

The comparison versus the general population is the correct way to evaluate how liberal the board is. Clearly you are not familiar with consumer research.

And it is not a slight margin at all.

ETA: FWIW, I have a moderate to liberal position on gun control. Ban on class III, maybe on hand guns (certainly more restrictive regulations). I do not have an extreme position so I answered no to the question.

Last edited:
An outright ban wouldn't work. Going from one extreme to another would be too much to ask for. Australia's system is what we should aim for.

What about trying to deter gun violence with punishment. I know that there are a bunch of laws where a sentence can be increased if a firearm is used in connection with the commission of a crime (felony only?), but what if we made the use of a gun in commission of a crime punishable automatically by life in prison with no parole. So some dude sticks up a liquor store, life; is negligent and leaves a loaded weapon out for their 6 year old to pick up and kill their 2 year old brother, life. Crazy harsh punishment may make people think twice about using a gun. Even if they would use it in what they deemed to be an appropriate manner, they may think twice. I know that brings in the 8th amendment, and I know it wouldn't necessarily stop something where the killers don't expect to live after their actions, but it might curb violence to some degree. But there's probably stats out there that people could point to showing that punishment doesn't deter crime (murder). I dunno. But banning all guns simply isn't ever going to happen in this country.

Bring back the penal colony:

Everquest II Is Building A "Prison Server" For Shitty Players

Daybreak Games is trying something cool with Everquest II: players caught breaking the rules (or just generally being terrible people) aren’t going to be suspended or banned. They’re going to be banished to a “prison server” known as Drunder.

The move, explained by Holly Longdale in this forum post (via Gamasutra), sounds a lot more like exile than mere imprisonment.

Later this week we plan to release a server we are calling “Drunder,” which is a “prison server.” What does that mean, exactly? Ultimately, players who are caught breaking our rules and disrupting EQ2 live server gameplay will be flagged for this server, and no others — ever. Characters on these accounts will be copied to Drunder (the “prison server”) and can never leave or transfer to another server.

The comparison versus the general population is the correct way to evaluate how liberal the board is. Clearly you are not familiar with consumer research.

And it is not a slight margin at all.

ETA: FWIW, I have a moderate to liberal position on gun control. Ban on class III, maybe on hand guns (certainly more restrictive regulations). I do not have an extreme position so I answered no to the question.

Maybe you should spend more time talking about your political ideas and less time bitching about how the board does or does not lean.

Why is it a persecution complex to admit the reality that this board leans heavy left. It is what it is. The only reason I ever bring it up is because for some reason there are members of the board that like to argue against it in spite of clear evidence to the contrary. When that evidence presents itself in a clear and concise fashion I like to illustrate the clear reality of our discussions. The reason I believe it matters is simply because we have members of this board that do a great job of convincing everyone that the center in this country has moved way right, when in reality this board is simply left of the center on average. That matters on a macro level on the Tunnels because it affects the starting point on which most discussions begin. For instance this thread begins with the question about a full ban of all firearms, and we are only a few votes (6 to be exact at the time), away from being split 50/50 on an issue that 80% of the country is in agreement upon.

It isn't a persecution complex to comment on the reality of the political makeup of this board. It gives proper perspective to the discussions that ensue.

b/c it doesn't. thinking it leans heavily left means you're going to be defensive when you don't have to be.

That makes no sense. You are inferring character traits based on the recognition of reality. The fact that you won't admit this reality is the only thing defensive in this conversation. You are defending a position that is pretty clearly indefensible. This is a liberal board. It is what it is. Not sure why it is so hard to admit. This reality tends to shape some of the discussions. Having awareness of that would help in more productive discussion.

Last edited:
WHATEVER fine the boards are communist and you and a few stalwarts are the breakwater upon which this great country depends.

what was your opinion on gun control, again?

Yeah, bigger prisons is definitely the answer.

We wouldn't need bigger. There are already a ton of people who shouldn't be in there with the sentences they have (mostly drug convictions). We just replace them with violent offenders. And again, the idea isn't to put people in prison for life. It's to make the punishment so harsh that they wouldn't want to have a gun.

WHATEVER fine the boards are communist and you and a few stalwarts are the breakwater upon which this great country depends.

what was your opinion on gun control, again?

Now THAT is a nice defensive answer.

I think we should have stricter registration on handguns and potentially ban automatic weapons. I think a full ban is completely ridiculous.

It isn't a persecution complex to comment on the reality of the political makeup of this board. It gives proper perspective to the discussions that ensue.

And there are a lot more conservative motherfuckers (used as a term of endearment) on here than I encounter in my daily life. I really don't think the breakdown of political ideology on here is that far off from the national splits given the education levels, racial and ethnic identities, and average income of those who post.

What about trying to deter gun violence with punishment. I know that there are a bunch of laws where a sentence can be increased if a firearm is used in connection with the commission of a crime (felony only?), but what if we made the use of a gun in commission of a crime punishable automatically by life in prison with no parole. So some dude sticks up a liquor store, life; is negligent and leaves a loaded weapon out for their 6 year old to pick up and kill their 2 year old brother, life. Crazy harsh punishment may make people think twice about using a gun. Even if they would use it in what they deemed to be an appropriate manner, they may think twice. I know that brings in the 8th amendment, and I know it wouldn't necessarily stop something where the killers don't expect to live after their actions, but it might curb violence to some degree. But there's probably stats out there that people could point to showing that punishment doesn't deter crime (murder). I dunno. But banning all guns simply isn't ever going to happen in this country.

If the threat of your two year old child dying isn't enough to keep people from leaving loaded guns around, I doubt a long prison sentence will do it.

And mandatory / strict sentencing hasn't exactly stopped people from using drugs. Instead we have a skyrocketing prison population.

Back