• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ article on Joepa

Mike, the difference is that it is coupled with the child rape issue. By itself, no it's not enough for major sanctions. All this article lays out is that Paterno controlled the school. I know first hand that Wake athletes get special treatment. A good number of us have enough connections and are realistic enough to know this. When we have a Sandusky issue is when you can use the glass house comment.

Totally valid point. I was just taking the article by itself. I guess my biggest concern is this... Wake, much like Penn State up until a few weeks ago, prides itself on competing at a high level while at the same time doing things the right way. Like I said earlier, most of us know that Wake is NOT beyond reproach when it comes to things of this nature. I don't know about any smoking gun, but obviously I, like many others on this board, am aware of certain things that went on when I was a student. And I'm certainly not alone in this regard.

At any rate, I'm a big believer in karma. Pride goeth before the fall. And it really disturbs me to see so many on this board take so much delight in the situation at Penn State, because a few short weeks ago they were just like us. We had a close call of our own just a short time ago.

This. Plus I can't imagine why it bothers you so much that Wake fans are proud of having a pretty darn clean athletic program, historically.

It doesn't bother me that we're proud of running clean programs. We certainly do it better than most. It just seems ironic that we are so quick to judge when you would think recent events would have made us more aware of our own mortality so to speak.

Totally valid point. I was just taking the article by itself. I guess my biggest concern is this... Wake, much like Penn State up until a few weeks ago, prides itself on competing at a high level while at the same time doing things the right way. Like I said earlier, most of us know that Wake is NOT beyond reproach when it comes to things of this nature. I don't know about any smoking gun, but obviously I, like many others on this board, am aware of certain things that went on when I was a student. And I'm certainly not alone in this regard.

At any rate, I'm a big believer in karma. Pride goeth before the fall. And it really disturbs me to see so many on this board take so much delight in the situation at Penn State, because a few short weeks ago they were just like us. We had a close call of our own just a short time ago.

Because you believe it, it must be true.

I'll be laughing while Penn State burns.

I get what you're saying and yeah we have had our share of crap happen in the last few years but I would say that there's maybe only a couple of people that I would classify as taking delight in this. I am sure that I speak for most others when I say that I am appalled by what went on up there and talk about it so much because it is next to impossible to look away from it.

Imagine how devastated we would all be if something even far less serious than this was going on behind the scenes at Wake and we had no idea. It would make us question everything we ever believed about Wake Forest. I do not envy the situation they find themselves in.

I guess I get what you're saying to an extent, though I'm not real big on the karma aspect. I'm not about to think any less of Wake's achievements because of something bad that might happen.

And I'm no Penn State fan, but the soiling of a.program that, up till now, was thought to be exemplary, makes me sad, not smug. Same thing with Indiana basketball a few years ago under Sampson, though of course the transgressions were very different.

And Carolina football as well (okay, not really).

I guess I get what you're saying to an extent, though I'm not real big on the karma aspect. I'm not about to think any less of Wake's achievements because of something bad that might happen.

And I'm no Penn State fan, but the soiling of a.program that, up till now, was thought to be exemplary, makes me sad, not smug. Same thing with Indiana basketball a few years ago under Sampson, though of course the transgressions were very different.

And Carolina football as well (okay, not really).

You summed up my thoughts perfectly.

they soiled themselves, and deserve everything they get

I would agree pride comes before the fall and exhibit 1 is JoPa. Wake isn't anywhere close to his nonsense b/c we actually discipline kids. Hell, back in '05 or so we suspended for kids for nothing but what turned out to be a lie.

I can't believe this is an argument. Our athletes do dumb things, like smoke weed, steal things, and get DUIs. Having the entire defense break into an apartment and beat the shit out of students is a totally different ballgame. Wake can conceal lots of minor transgressions by athletes, but things that are big enough to get the attention of state authorities can't be dismissed. In state college, the police just went along with the charade.

Also, I'm happy to talk down a program like Penn State. It's becoming clear that they're not a program that once was good and now has gone astray. Now that people from the inside aren't afraid to speak, it seems they've been doing things the wrong way for decades.

I can't believe this is an argument. Our athletes do dumb things, like smoke weed, steal things, and get DUIs. Having the entire defense break into an apartment and beat the shit out of students is a totally different ballgame. Wake can conceal lots of minor transgressions by athletes, but things that are big enough to get the attention of state authorities can't be dismissed. In state college, the police just went along with the charade.

Boy, Wake has really changed. Back 25 years ago it wasn't at all uncommon for the football team to run around campus ripping water pipes off the walls in frat houses and generally looking to get into brawls. I recall two at my frat house and we were not at all alone in having the woodheads arrive trying to bust up parties and generally throwing around their weight.

Fact is college kids do incredibly stupid things. And big college kids sometimes want to prove that they are big.

Really? Where the fuck were you a few months back when we had a former basketball player accused of rape and the university accused of manipulating the school judicial system - not to mention police investigation - to cover it up? I certainly remember how I felt before it came out that the accusations didn't have much merit and I didn't like it.

Oh and BTW... What happens to a regular student who gets caught smoking weed? Something tells me it's more than just a one game suspension.

Back