• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Article: WF 12th most valuable bball program

If that doesn't settle the issue that the Joel isn't going anywhere, I don't know what will. It definitely makes you wonder where we would have been on that list back when we were good and people came to the games though. #[Redacted]'d

Definitely lends support to the idea that no one wants to coach at Wake and Bzz is the best we could have done. Wait...:tard:

Wow very interesting. Why is UVA the 3rd most valuable 'franchise' in the ACC? Glad to see the ACC is at least #2 conference wise. Great read. Thanks for posting.

Holy shit I thought for sure that was 12th in the ACC, not in Division 1. How is this calculated?

From the article:

Among other factors, the study examined each program's revenues and expenses and made cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections for every school.

Louisville blew away the field in part because of the massive revenues it has been making at the recently built KFC Yum! Center. The Cardinals, who began playing in the 22,000-seat arena in the fall of 2010, reported $40.9 million in revenue in the last fiscal year, according to government data—nearly $12 million more than any other team.

How can Kentucky be #16?
Really?

Wow very interesting. Why is UVA the 3rd most valuable 'franchise' in the ACC? Glad to see the ACC is at least #2 conference wise. Great read. Thanks for posting.

They have an incredible arena that makes a ton of money from events outside of UVA athletics.

If that doesn't settle the issue that the Joel isn't going anywhere, I don't know what will. It definitely makes you wonder where we would have been on that list back when we were good and people came to the games though. #[Redacted]'d

Given that Kentucky is currently #1, sells out the arena every game, and about to win a National Championship, but is ranked 16th, I doubt that Wake's ranking would have been much different. Apparently other factors drive the "franchise value" in this particular formula.

This is bogus. UNLV ahead of UCLA? Kansas State ahead of Kentucky? Ohio State ahead of UNC? Northwestern on it at all? (ahead of NC State, Texas, and Florida?)

All the more reason to get rid of [Redacted] as soon as possible. The basketball program is far too valuable a resource to squander it away like the current coach is doing.

I do wonder what our value would be if we purchased the Joel from the city. If it really is losing money, buying it could possibly harm our value - if that number really is worth anything.

Also, just imagine what this number will look like after a few more years of Bzzkill. I'm sure we are on our way out of the top 100.

The expense side hurt ky I'm sure. They have a payroll of Nba talent.

Holy crap. And why can't we have an awesome, super-talented coach come into this program and kick some ass?

We're as valuable as Wisconsin's program. Hopefully this article will help give us some better exposure to potential hires down the road.

Our ranking is sure to drop if we have to buy out 2 coaches at the same time. Keep [Redacted] LONG TERM!

Strange analysis.... I'm wondering how he got to a $211mm valuation based on ~$40mm of revenue for Louisville.

Yeah, I think that study lost all credibility when it placed Northwestern, a program that has never made the NCAA tournament, as the 20th most valuable.

maybe NW'ern has some big time growth potential that only this guy sees? Maybe he's just fascinated by their grape colored court.

Back