• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ Article: WF 12th most valuable bball program

Given that Kentucky is currently #1, sells out the arena every game, and about to win a National Championship, but is ranked 16th, I doubt that Wake's ranking would have been much different. Apparently other factors drive the "franchise value" in this particular formula.

Good Post. +1

This is bogus. UNLV ahead of UCLA? Kansas State ahead of Kentucky? Ohio State ahead of UNC? Northwestern on it at all? (ahead of NC State, Texas, and Florida?)

i can't speak for the other programs, but OSU has pretty much the nicest athletic facilities in the country. even their small sports like swimming have olympic-level facilities.

OSU also has the the largest current student body, which may speak volumes about the future predictions that these rankings are supposed to take into account.

Yeah, I think that study lost all credibility when it placed Northwestern, a program that has never made the NCAA tournament, as the 20th most valuable.

Local media market? I can't think of any other reason that program could sniff the top 20.

I can't see growth rates being a huge deciding factor in the projections. I would guess the largest piece of revenue by far is ticket revenue, and at some point you hit a ceiling there.

Local media market? I can't think of any other reason that program could sniff the top 20.

I think the fact that Northwestern is on there has a lot more to do with the hype that they've seemed to generate in the national media during the last few seasons with the possibility of them finally making the tournament.

Frankly, I think that DePaul has a lot more future earning potential than Northwestern will ever have, especially now since they're going to be getting a new on-campus arena in downtown Chicago before the decade is out.

I can't see growth rates being a huge deciding factor in the projections. I would guess the largest piece of revenue by far is ticket revenue, and at some point you hit a ceiling there.

And merchandise, which explains how Duke is so high with its tiny arena.

This was easily the most bizarre thing I've read on the interwebs in a long time.

The only thing I could think of with Northwestern is they must generate a lot of revenue being in the Big Ten and have limited costs.

Apparently this guy did the same analysis of football programs, but Wake is not included. All FBS schools are included except Air Force, Navy, Tulane, Tulsa and Wake Forest. At the top, this list looks more like I would expect than the basketball list (though there are still some head scratchers).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...ect=COUNT010520120105&articleTabs=interactive

Why exclude those five teams? Was it really that much more work after analyzing over 100 teams? Weird.

Looking at those figures compared to basketball is almost comical.

Holy shit I thought for sure that was 12th in the ACC, not in Division 1. How is this calculated?

Certainly no way I can see that being correct. I see us ahead of VT, Miami, Clemson, BC, GT and maybe even FSU in the ACC. But that is it. Just being on Tobacco Road helps a liitle.

i can't speak for the other programs, but OSU has pretty much the nicest athletic facilities in the country. even their small sports like swimming have olympic-level facilities.

Oh I believe that, but basketball isn't what funds all that, football does. You can't tell me that OSU sells more basketball tickets and merchandise than UNC.

Quick - have the guy run the numbers with Buzz and without Buzz (and paying out his contract) for the next 2 years and send them to Wellman and Hatch. If the program really is that valuable, we should fire buzz NOW before he can destroy it further.

This guy is an "assistant professor of finance at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus". That sounds about one step up from teaching metal shop at East Gaston High School. Forgive me if I don't put too much stock in his conclusions.

Strange analysis.... I'm wondering how he got to a $211mm valuation based on ~$40mm of revenue for Louisville.

Isn't there multiplication formula that most franchises use to determine value. Revenue times 'A' = Value? I have read articles before (including ones that were criticizing the Dodgers purchase) that mentioned a standard formula that most people use to evaluate sports franchises.

Back