• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ on Manning Hire and [Redacted]

Does anyone else find it curious that all media mentions of [Redacted] and Grobe's termination use the word "fired"? It's as if everybody can see through Ronnie's bullshit about accepting resignations or them stepping down to spend more time with family or whatnot.

And I love the quote about comparing resumes "with redacted names." That had to be intentional.

Does anyone else find it curious that all media mentions of [Redacted] and Grobe's termination use the word "fired"? It's as if everybody can see through Ronnie's bullshit about accepting resignations or them stepping down to spend more time with family or whatnot.

And I love the quote about comparing resumes "with redacted names." That had to be intentional.

Thought the same thing. I think it was a very good article.

Also curious that the billboards continue to get brought up as a major contributor to the no-win situation. Fuck that. It was no-win because he drove us into a ditch. Double standard to expect that Wake fans should sit quiet. You think duke would watch Rome burn for 4 years? Hell Espn would lead the charge to fire the guy.

Also curious that the billboards continue to get brought up as a major contributor to the no-win situation. Fuck that. It was no-win because he drove us into a ditch. Double standard to expect that Wake fans should sit quiet. You think duke would watch Rome burn for 4 years? Hell Espn would lead the charge to fire the guy.

Yeah, this is still used as an excuse around peeps that work at Wake per my wife. I told her it was a horse shit excuse!

I'm not ready to give up on Manning yet, but I do think some staff changes are needed after the season. First and foremost, we need an assistant with some legitimate head coaching experience.

Yeah, this is still used as an excuse around peeps that work at Wake per my wife. I told her it was a horse shit excuse!

It's a chicken-egg thing. We all believe the billboards were a symptom of the toxic situation created by Wellman and [ ]. I'm sure some in the AD think that's what made the situation toxic. This is a good example of why change in the AD is needed.

I'm just glad that Ron Wellman decided that Wake shouldn't lose NCAA tournament games anymore. He has achieved absolute perfection for that goal.

Last edited:
The author mentions that the average tenure of ACC coaches is 23 years when you take out K's 41 and Manning's 5. Not sure why he did that when the average tenure of K and DM is... wait for it... 23 years.

The author mentions that the average tenure of ACC coaches is 23 years when you take out K's 41 and Manning's 5. Not sure why he did that when the average tenure of K and DM is... wait for it... 23 years.

Yeah I laughed when I read that. I guess he just wanted to take out the longest and the shortest?

I thought an interesting read: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/co...cle_ce0cec62-dca7-5293-92e8-64578313335a.html

I'm only marginally sorry if it has been posted elsewhere.

This is interesting: "Manning — who played for a Hall of Famer in Larry Brown at Kansas and was later mentored at his alma mater as everything from a team manager to an assistant by Bill Self — doesn’t even have the luxury of an experienced staff upon which to rely. Only assistant coach Brett Ballard has experience as a head coach — and that was during a two-year stint at Baker University of the NAIA from 2010-12."

You would think as a very young coach he would surround himself with more experienced assistants or former head coaches.

I'm not ready to give up on Manning yet, but I do think some staff changes are needed after the season. First and foremost, we need an assistant with some legitimate head coaching experience.

Why would anyone with head coaching experience worth a damn, who was actually reasonably good at it, be an assistant and not a head coach again (even if at a lower tier)? I'm sure we could hire a shitty former head coach to be an assistant, but what value does that add?

Yeah I laughed when I read that. I guess he just wanted to take out the longest and the shortest?

Yeah. He tired to look smart by taking out the outliers without realizing that it didn't matter.

I didn't think the article added much for people who actually follow the program. We realize how much of an experience deficit we face. It is a good article for local UNC fans checking out the paper.

The writer couldn't be any more wrong about the end of last night's game. The only thing wrong with the last 32 seconds was a bad shot Brandon took and Brandon had played very well down the stretch.

In fact if you go back to the 4:52 mark, when Bryant committed his fourth foul, the only possible coaching mistake was not getting Bryant back into the game sooner. However, he was sitting at the scorer's table from about 3 minutes to go and there wasn't a stoppage for him to enter. And we were playing well.

Last night, we gave a team for whom only JC and Bryant would get over 15 mpg for all they could handle. They were much bigger, stronger, faster and deeper than our squad. This is indisputable. They have 6 Burger boys. Yet we gave them all they could handle.

We could have easily folded early in the second half when they got up 19 and kept it at fifteen for a few minutes. My bad, it's not coaching to get your team not to fold and get them back in the game.

There's no such thing as a moral victory. All you can do is play as well as you can and let the chips fall where they may.

If a coach gets a hugely undermanned team in the position we were in last night, it's not the time to hack him up. Again, and I know many won't pay attention to this, I'm not saying Danny is a world beater coach, but last night he got our team to play way over its head against a much better team. Last night is not the time to rag on him.

Did RC107 write this article?

Just kidding RC, you know I appreciate your reasoned analysis.

This phrase threw me off for a second "if you spread a series of resumes on a table with redacted names".

The damage Wellman did to the status of the job with the Bzzzz fiasco has no doubt made it much less attractive than it was pre-Bzzz. Coming off Bzzz, Wellman probably felt he couldn't satisfy the masses by hiring an experienced head coach with success at lower levels that was a largely unknown name. So, he sees a name all of us know, Danny Manning, with a very short run of success at Tulsa and served as an assistant at a blue blood program and jumped on it. It was a shortsighted decision, it is a more understandable hire than Bzzz was I think, but still short sighted and based on 2 1/2 years seems to have been another sub-par hire.

What's with the line that [Redacted] "could win a game down the stretch?" Did I miss something? Maybe it was a literal statement, that he was able to win only one game down the stretch.

"though he struggled to keep his team in position to win games late" is a really generous way to say "Wake was blown out in pretty much every game"

Back