• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WSJ on Manning Hire and [Redacted]

I think most good coaches would have believed in their D and played it out. Plus, they wouldn't have taken the chance that an off the ball foul would result in two shots rather than 1 and 1.

If you play one D, it's a one possession game, even one FT made makes it a two possession game.

It's hard to believe in your D when the other team scores 93 points.

You're an idiot. At a high levels, that's generally the way it's handled. There's no sense in publicly tarnishing someone.

Wow, name-calling, okay. Remind me where I advocated Ron should have handled their terminations by "publicly tarnishing" Grobe and [Redacted]?

There's a difference between the self-preserving "I have accepted the resignation of _______ as head coach" and the transparent "Wake Forest has decided to go in a different direction and relieved _______ of his duties." And there's a difference between those two and whatever the hell you think "publicly tarnishing" them might be.

I disagree. There was a time out with 1:27 left in the game. Wake was down 3, 84-81 and had only 6 fouls. It was the perfect position to extend the game and make UNC hit one-and-ones. UNC came out with two 60% foul shooters (Meeks and Britt) and we should have fouled them immediately. Instead, UNC ran 27 seconds off the clock and hit a three pointer, and the game was essentially over. Not fouling in that situation was a coaching mistake.

Rafi makes a good point. The math definitely works. Don't allow them to run time off the clock and dramatically lower the odds they'll have a 3 point possession.

You take a much bigger chance fouling someone off the ball than playing D. Somehow, we got enough stops in the second half to cut a 19 point lead to 3 with 1:27 left.

What's germaine about our D at 1:27 is that from 17:43 when we were down 57-38 to 1:27 when were down 84-81, we had held UNC to 27 points in 16:16 of playing time. That's excellent D.

Meh. They average over 89 a game and this one was dragged out at the end because it was close. Carolina is also a fantastic offensive rebounding team which needs to be taken into account when fouling.

So, let me get this straight. Ron firing Dino after winning an NCAA Tournament game and going 61-31 while dragging the man's name and reputation - not to mention his players' names and reputations - through the mud publicly for years afterwards didn't contribute to the toxic atmosphere, but a billboard and message boards did?

If you play it out and they don't score you have the ball with a minute to go in a one possession game. I think most top coaches would put the pressure on their D and hope for a stop. Intentional fouls make the most sense when you can't play it out because of too little time or a more than one possession game.

Rafi makes a good point. The math definitely works. Don't allow them to run time off the clock and dramatically lower the odds they'll have a 3 point possession.

Honest question, were they scoring 1.02 points per possession at that point? I'd guess yes but not sure tbh.

So, let me get this straight. Ron firing Dino after winning an NCAA Tournament game and going 61-31 while dragging the man's name and reputation - not to mention his players' names and reputations - through the mud publicly for years afterwards didn't contribute to the toxic atmosphere, but a billboard and message boards did?

"Publicly tarnishing" I believe is the phrase you were looking for, Strick. But you must be remembering that incorrectly, that doesn't happen at a high level

If he hadn't grotesquely lowballed Stevens and then Alford, no one would have cared about the firing of Dino.

Kenpom has us at 43. Not too shabby. Most of the teams above us look to have 3 or fewer losses. A bit bizarre to see us sitting there with 7 losses.

Wow, name-calling, okay. Remind me where I advocated Ron should have handled their terminations by "publicly tarnishing" Grobe and [Redacted]?

There's a difference between the self-preserving "I have accepted the resignation of _______ as head coach" and the transparent "Wake Forest has decided to go in a different direction and relieved _______ of his duties." And there's a difference between those two and whatever the hell you think "publicly tarnishing" them might be.

There's only a difference to you, since you have no personal contact with these people, don't care about their professional status or ability to get another job, and only want to see a public "firing" to appease your own fanhood.

Ron didn't drag anyone's names and reputations through the mud. Whatever you want to believe is one thing. However, Dino's coaching ability and the fade down the stretch was a reason for his departure. The latter was specifically cited by Wellman. And then beyond that, there were some issues with the team. Ty Walker, JTT, Ari, Clark in a national news story. Wellman had to discuss those stories.

If Dino cared the least bit about being a legit coach, he would have found a sideline by this point.

And I'm not continuing this conversation after this post.

If we had gotten Stevens or Alford after [Redacted] "resigned", where would we be right now? What about Tony Bennett?

I wanted bennet instead of redacted. Oh whale at least were fast paced.

Ron didn't drag anyone's names and reputations through the mud. Whatever you want to believe is one thing. However, Dino's coaching ability and the fade down the stretch was a reason for his departure. The latter was specifically cited by Wellman. And then beyond that, there were some issues with the team. Ty Walker, JTT, Ari, Clark in a national news story. Wellman had to discuss those stories.

If Dino cared the least bit about being a legit coach, he would have found a sideline by this point.

And I'm not continuing this conversation after this post.
You are so fucking wrong. Focusing on the need for a culture change is disparaging to former players. Teague, Johnson, Aminu, etc. Bad culture that had to be erased!! Luckily Buzz was here to teach the Sensational 7 how to wear their socks.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Back