• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WTF Is Wrong With These Parents

When I was a kid I can't think of a single kid that had a peanut allergy. Now it seems like tons of kids have one. What's going on? Anyway, that would suck. I love peanuts and peanut butter.

I'm not saying this case is bogus but I think it's very odd that SO many kids seem to have peanut allergies these days. I love peanut butter, so it makes me a bit sad to know that my hypothetical children will likely never be allowed to have a PB&J sandwich in their school lunch. I guess it'll just have to be an "at home only" food.

Don't think it's a bad thing anyway to have kids wash their hands more often.

Peanut allergy cases increased when WFU stopped requiring the SAT

Also, I can understand wanting the kid to have a normal childhood but if the kid is that allergic a school with hundreds of other little kids might not be the best place for her. Just one of those kids slips up and she could die.

^what's got you so riled up about this?

No peanuts in the class.....fine, that's not difficult and it's easily understood
Wipe down desks....I guess, it doesn't take much time to pass out handiwipes
Wash hands...maybe before coming to class in the morning, but everytime you come and go is a little much. This has to be a systemiatic thing and someone has to supervise it. With first graders that takes time
Rinse your mouth out? That's where I see this getting a little much. Again, it's something that has to be systematic and it takes time.

If she's that allergic then all of these steps are probably just false protection. My kid could've eaten peanut butter yesterday gotten some on his hands which he wiped on his jeans. He might wear the same jeans tomorrow and bam....there's an invisible smear of peanut butter on his jeans that no one knows about

Well if its that extreme then her only choice is live in the bubble from the post above. Either that or just go ahead euthanize her so she will not waste your kid's precious nose picking time.

No peanuts in the class.....fine, that's not difficult and it's easily understood
Wipe down desks....I guess, it doesn't take much time to pass out handiwipes
Wash hands...maybe before coming to class in the morning, but everytime you come and go is a little much. This has to be a systemiatic thing and someone has to supervise it. With first graders that takes time
Rinse your mouth out? That's where I see this getting a little much. Again, it's something that has to be systematic and it takes time.

If she's that allergic then all of these steps are probably just false protection. My kid could've eaten peanut butter yesterday gotten some on his hands which he wiped on his jeans. He might wear the same jeans tomorrow and bam....there's an invisible smear of peanut butter on his jeans that no one knows about.

:werd:

I have a coworker that eats a PBJ every single day. Would he not be allowed to walk into the school to pick up his kid?

Well if its that extreme then her only choice is live in the bubble from the post above. Either that or just go ahead euthanize her so she will not waste your kid's precious nose picking time.

If the kids are having to rinse out their mouths I would think it is that extreme.

So in effect, not only does the girl have a peanut allergy, but all the kids do.

I think it's a little much....will that child's parents get to choose what is and isn't served at lunch?

Will they get to decide what the other kids can bring from home?

I mean....I agree with the hand washing....all kids should wash their hands more...

But why can't they just give the kid/teacher an epinephrine shot (surely she has one if her allergy is this dangerous) and try their best to keep her away from peanuts?

No need to take so much time out of the school day.

But maybe I'm wrong.

If the kids are having to rinse out their mouths I would think it is that extreme.

OK so we aren't going to agree on that point. I'll leave it alone.

However earlier today the school dropped that requirement and most of the parents still want her gone (which was in the OP). Care to defend them now?

OK eliminate the mouth rinsing, which the school has. How much of the day does not eating peanut butter, washing your hands, and rinsing desks take? 10 mins, Max?

If my kid had a severe peanut allergy, I'm not sure I'd trust the public school system (and other kids) to keep peanuts away, and I'd feel really bad about having to impose such restrictions on other kids and parents.
At the same time it's pretty callous for others to suggest the chore of wiping down desks and not eating peanut butter at school is somehow worse than potential death.

Random peanut facts:

Peanuts are known by many other local names such as earthnuts, ground nuts, goober peas, monkey nuts, pygmy nuts and pig nuts.

Peanuts are rich in nutrients, providing over 30 essential nutrients and phytonutrients.

Peanuts are a good source of niacin, folate, fiber, magnesium, vitamin E, manganese and phosphorus. They also are naturally free of trans-fats and sodium, and contain about 25% protein.

Peanuts are a significant source of resveratrol, a chemical studied for potential anti-aging effects and also associated with reduced cardiovascular disease and reduced cancer risk.

So in effect, not only does the girl have a peanut allergy, but all the kids do.

I think it's a little much....will that child's parents get to choose what is and isn't served at lunch?

Will they get to decide what the other kids can bring from home?

I mean....I agree with the hand washing....all kids should wash their hands more...

But why can't they just give the kid/teacher an epinephrine shot (surely she has one if her allergy is this dangerous) and try their best to keep her away from peanuts?

No need to take so much time out of the school day.

But maybe I'm wrong.

some schools have already banned peanut butter entirely, or at least have peanut free areas for the allergic kids to eat.

The Telegraph.co.uk recently reported that British researchers have uncovered a successful new preventative treatment for peanut allergy sufferers. The treatment consists of giving the patient small doses of peanut flour each day over a period of time. The results have been that some patients have been able to consume up to 10 peanuts with no allergic reaction at all. The results are quite promising, but more research needs to be done before this treatment option goes mainstream.

peanutsgang1207.png

When I was a kid I can't think of a single kid that had a peanut allergy. Now it seems like tons of kids have one. What's going on? Anyway, that would suck. I love peanuts and peanut butter.

One of my childhood friends had a bad peanut allergy, but he was the only person I had ever met growing up. So he didn't eat any peanut butter and couldn't eat at Chicfila. That was it.

People are noobs, nowadays.

Also, my sister has a deathly-serious nut allergy. Peanuts are totally cool, as they are legumes, but no nuts of any kind. This also includes most chinese food (as they don't wash the woks in between cooking), many processed desserts (although companies are much more conscientious these days, adding labels and warnings), and tons of other seemingly normal foods.

Still, I'm not sure why peanut allergies get all this attention. Are they that common nowadays?

Back