• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WTF Is Wrong With These Parents

hey sprinkle thanks for providing the evidence I needed to prove that you are indeed not cool enough for your new screen name.

The Telegraph.co.uk recently reported that British researchers have uncovered a successful new preventative treatment for peanut allergy sufferers. The treatment consists of giving the patient small doses of peanut flour each day over a period of time. The results have been that some patients have been able to consume up to 10 peanuts with no allergic reaction at all. The results are quite promising, but more research needs to be done before this treatment option goes mainstream.

Its not really a new preventative treatment at all. This idea has been implemented for many other things. Think allergy shots that people get over the course of years. Allergies are an immune response to something that normally doesn't elicit an immune response. By taking small doses and increasing the dose each time your are conditioning your body to not respond to these things. Its obviously a lot more complicated than that with the involvement of B cell subsets, T cell subsets, Macrophages, Mast Cells, etc... essentially all immune cells. Its actually surprising it hasn't happened earlier for peanut allergies. There also two strong camps debating why people have more allergies, peanuts included. There are those that claim the hygiene hypothesis, there are others that claim its much more complicated than that.

Its not really a new preventative treatment at all. This idea has been implemented for many other things. Think allergy shots that people get over the course of years. Allergies are an immune response to something that normally doesn't elicit an immune response. By taking small doses and increasing the dose each time your are conditioning your body to not respond to these things. Its obviously a lot more complicated than that with the involvement of B cell subsets, T cell subsets, Macrophages, Mast Cells, etc... essentially all immune cells. Its actually surprising it hasn't happened earlier for peanut allergies. There also two strong camps debating why people have more allergies, peanuts included. There are those that claim the hygiene hypothesis, there are others that claim its much more complicated than that.

True. It's a similar concept to systematic desensitization, which is often used with phobias.

It would really suck not to be able to eat a Snickers. So delicious.

As someone else said, it's now like all the other kids that have to do this crap have suddenly become allergic to peanuts too.

I think it is the right of this kid and the parents to continue going to public school and do what they have to in order to live a semi normal life. If I were in the position of allergic kid's parents, I would probably seek out a better alternative, though.

Back