• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WWE Thread

Didn't realize that. Just flipped through and saw the replay of the PPV. Thought that was out the ordinary.

Other than DDP's and Bubba Ray's performances which were amusing, the rest of the RR match was lame. Many of the eliminations were poorly executed, and Reigns and Wyatt just laid on the mat under the ropes for extended periods while 1 or 2 others got their time in the center of the ring.

Watching Fastlane ppv now. I guess Orton v Rollins is coming up at Mania. Also if this dust brothers match doesnt end in a dusty finish I'm gonna be salty.

Mania is going to be a busy card, and there are still a couple big names without obvious matches to this point.

Yeah, maybe they will combine feuds or something, they are having the battle royal again so I guess a bunch of guys will get thrown into that. I'm hoping Bryan still gets put in the reigns-lesnar match but not sure if that will happen.

Apparently, Lesnar was pissed and stormed out after RAW monday.

Wrestlemania is this Sunday and still no contract for Lesnar. As good as NXT continues to be, the quality of this show probably will determine if I continue my network subscription.

Lesnar back with WWE. Ends MMA career. I was really into wrestling like 10-15 years from now, but have been fairly bored with it any time I've given it a shot recently. Seems like its lacking star power in a major way, or am I missing something?

Lesnar back with WWE. Ends MMA career. I was really into wrestling like 10-15 years from now, but have been fairly bored with it any time I've given it a shot recently. Seems like its lacking star power in a major way, or am I missing something?

You're not wrong. I stumbled across a Raw the other night and stopped for about 10 minutes.

So. Much. Talking.

Lesnar coming back makes Wrestlemania much more interesting. Hopefully Lesnar will start making some more appearances with this new contract. Once or twice a month as the champion isn't enough, even with Paul Heyman cutting some fantastic promos for him.

As for the star power, I generally agree with you, but it is of their own doing. For a few years now, they have resorted to bringing back stars of the past that only work part-time (The Rock, The New Age Outlaws, Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, etc.), instead of allowing newer stars to make their own fame. There are some very charismatic and talented guys in the ranks that keep getting pushed aside when they try to bring someone back for a quick ratings boost.

I'm also intrigued that Triple H is talking more about NXT being its own brand, rather than a developmental league. I've been watching NJPW on AXSTV also, and they are doing a fantastic job with that series. I've always wanted to see some of the Japanese pururesu, but it was never easily accessible until now. I've heard that Lucha Underground is really good as well, but I can't justify watching that many hours of wrestling in a week.

You're not wrong. I stumbled across a Raw the other night and stopped for about 10 minutes.

So. Much. Talking.

They are having a really tough time filling 5 hours of programming a week, and the writing is at a particularly low point right now. They can only handle 2 or 3 storylines at a time, and those are middling at best. Everyone else gets kind of forgotten about. Plus, three of the big matches going into Wrestlemania are Bray Wyatt vs. Undertaker, HHH vs. Sting, and Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar. Lesnar is a part-timer, Taker hasn't been seen on TV since last Mania, HHH is mostly retired and Sting has never wrestled in the WWE. Pretty much the only way to advance those storylines is through a bunch of talking.

5 hours of original programming a week (and somtimes its 8 hours when you include weeks that have a PPV) is a terrible idea for a professional wrestling promotion.

Vince McMahon's biggest strength has always been his insane work ethic. All that man ever thinks about wrestling. Its been said from WWE employees that Vince views vacation away from the WWE as a waste and time and he'd much rather work than take any type of vacation..ever. One thing that helped the WWF/E was that Vince surrounded himself with many brilliant minds in the 1980s and 1990s. Pat Patterson, Gorilla Monsoon, Chief Jay Strongbow, JJ Dillon, etc. He respected their opinions due to them having seniority in the wrestling business over him. There isn't anyone in the WWE (that I can think of) that has seniority over Vince and I just don't think he values the opinion of any creative writers or road agents that works for him these days. It has been said the WWE is now filled with yes men who are there to stroke Vince's ego.

Kentucky is Brock Lesnar: Obviously.

Duke is John Cena: Because everyone either loves them or hates them with no in between.

Wisconsin is Dolph Ziggler: Because they were recently close to being in the title picture and now they’re trying to claw their way back.

Arizona is Cesaro: Because they have an insane amount of talent but can’t seem to get out of the midcard.

Gonzaga is Rusev: Because they crush everyone, but their critics still say they haven’t faced real competition yet. Also, Rusev hates America and Gonzaga has all sorts of international players.

Oklahoma is Dean Ambrose: Because he’s “unstable” and there’s no telling which Oklahoma team will show up on any given night.

Notre Dame is Sheamus: Because he’s Irish.

Louisville is Ryback: Because they frequently win ugly. Also, they were in the title hunt not too long ago, then they fell off the map for a while, and now they’re back on the rise.

North Carolina is Randy Orton: Because they have a Hall of Fame track record and are still really good even if they aren’t quite title contenders right now. Also, Walmarts in the Midwest are full of people who love them both.

West Virginia is Luke Harper: Because … well …

Utah is Bray Wyatt: Because they don’t strike me as true title contenders, even though I can’t point to a single reason why.

Xavier is Kofi Kingston: Because they’ve made some deep tournament runs but have yet to make a Final Four. They always provide a few awesome spots but then get out of the way when it’s time for the big boys to take over.

Michigan State is Triple H: Because they epitomize the “I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was” ethos.

Wichita State is Daniel Bryan: Because they’re the little guy who improbably climbed to the top, got knocked down, and is desperate to get back where he was.

NC State is Mizdow: Because they’ve played second fiddle forever and are ready to make a name for themselves.

UCLA is Big Show: Because their heyday was forever ago and everyone wonders why they’re still around.

Do they still keep smackdown as its own roster and raw as its own roster? I thought split was stupid and annoying and around the time i stopped watching

No... Rosters are joined. I think the roster split was predominantly driven by the merge with WCW and having too many people on the roster. There is a bit of a Main event bias on Raw and a bit more mid-tier on Smackdown, but there is no firm division between the two.

Had my doubts going in, but all-in-all Wrestlemania was a hell of a show. A good mix of quality matches, fun storytelling, and a couple decent surprises. HHH-Sting match was not great (I never liked Sting anyway), but I got a kick out of all the cameos. The Main Event was spectacular, though...especially because of how it ended.

Back