• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your projection for Wake's tuition in 2037

Jroc25

Reaction score
If you had a baby today and sent him/her to Wake in 18 years, what do you think annual all-in cost would be? Could it be $100k? Thoughts?

Yes. Easily.

Whatever the market will allow. Of course by then, State universities will be free, AOC will be President (Mayor Pete will be VP after his fifth unsuccessful run), and these former bastions of white privilege will only be the cut-rate refuge of the effete inbred white plutocracy.

Could it be 100k? Nope, aside from some fundamental change to college pricing (like an asteroid striking the planet) to go from 60 to 100 over 18 years would require an annual rate of increase less than 3%.

If the annual rate of increase is closer to 10%... oof, let's just say you're looking at a 7 figure cost for all 4 years.

I'd be more inclined to send my kids to bartending school than drop $100k/year on a bachelor's degree. It's just not worth it.

Yeah I’m already pretty much rejecting the thought of the kids going to MSD because there’s no way it could be worth it, let alone plausibly affordable.

Too damn high.

rising-graph.jpg

Could it be 100k? Nope, aside from some fundamental change to college pricing (like an asteroid striking the planet) to go from 60 to 100 over 18 years would require an annual rate of increase less than 3%.

If the annual rate of increase is closer to 10%... oof, let's just say you're looking at a 7 figure cost for all 4 years.

all-in total cost of attendance baseline is $74,424 for 2019-20

meaning a freshman entering 18 years from now will pay $1 million if annual inflation is 6.4%

So there's been minimal wage growth over the last 35 years, property values have been grossly inflated in the country's biggest cities, national debt is more than GDP, and college is grossly unaffordable. How are we not headed to a Great Depression in the next say 10 years? There are too many bubbles that have to burst.

And yes, it'll be interesting to see what President AOC does in her second term come 2037.

At 3% inflation I'm calculating $128k

Think he meant “annual tuition increase” when saying inflation. And $1 million is the cost of 4 years at ~$250k which is the average annual all-in cost starting 18-21 years from now at a growth rate of 6.4%

I think something happens to bottom out the college ranks. Tuition can't keep up. Public schools get life lines, for profit tank. The privates it all depends on the alumni and the foundation.

It's almost pointless to speculate right now because I can't imagine we're going to make it another 18 years without major changes to our higher education system. I say this having given it some thought already, seeing as I'm due in 8 weeks and trying to financially map out kid costs.

...that being said it does become difficult to justify the cost, but I feel a little silly saying that as a happy alum who thoroughly enjoyed my experience (I'm pretty sure I would be saying that about any school I could have attended, though).

Back