• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I continue to be mystified that we are not recruiting John Lamot. He made the Shrine Bowl (of course his coach is the HC for the game); but last night Eastern Alamance defeated N. Guilford, defending 3A state champions, and Lamot completed 25 of 28 passes for almost 280 yds. and ran 19x for 153 yards. On average he is involved in about 4 TDs per game. As I have said before, QB probably won't be his position in college; but the kid is a winner. He can play multiple positions. We need players like him.

What schools are pursuing him?

247 says he committed to Elon in August and that was his only offer. Good for him.

My understanding is that other, bigger schools are in touch but haven't offered.

He is big, strong and relatively quick for his size. The intangibles are higher than the measurables. Lamot is an incredible competitor. He will likely play defense in college although he could be a receiver or a running back.

He is also an excellent student.

2016 FB Recruiting. A few updates.

At 6-2, 202, I'm guessing if schools felt like he could play CB or S in college, he'd have some FBS offers. That's ideal size.

LaRonde Liverpool and Landstown lost 41-6

Greg Dortch had an 80-yard TD pass and 3 carries for 65 yards in a 49-24 win.

Emmanuel Walker and Johnny Ray's games were both postponed again.

I have watched John Lamont several times and I think he would be a beast at Safety...A position Wake could use help...

Two items from this past week:

There are reports that WR Donald Stewart (Paramus, NJ) has set his official visit to Wake for October 25th. He also set up visits to Michigan (November) and Stanford (January). It's interesting that he set up his Wake visit before other schools like Vandy, Boston College or Rutgers. Wake may be well positioned if things don't work out at Michigan or Stanford. I'm assuming he will be at the N.C. State game. Here's hoping for a big crowd.

Tremayne Anchrum has pushed back his decision timeframe (it was originally set for earlier this month). He is now at least considering taking more official visits and Wake is reportedly one of the schools he is considering. Nebraska is currently considered to the favorite to land Anchrum although Colorado may be in the picture as well.

Other than recruits like Stewart, Collins, Kamara and Anchrum (if he wants to visit), I continue to think this class is effectively closed.

A quick refresh look at the scholarship situation for 2016.

RSF's chart (see the OP in this thread) shows 94 scholarships players for 2016 before considering graduations or grayshirts. He is missing Tyler Watson, so increase that number to 95.

Based on playing time this season it looks like there are 6 players that would seem unlikely to return for a 5th year: Ward, J. Williams, Suggs, Lewinson, Matthews and Donatell. The biggest question mark of that group might be Lewinson who may have been sidelined with injuries earlier this season and is now starting to see a few snaps on defense.

If you assume 6 early graduations, that would leave only 4 scholarships that - absent other attrition - would need to be managed through grayshirting or blueshirting. Clawson has said that they will be transparent about those options with recruits at the time they commit. There won't be last minute surprises like what happened to Matt Colburn at Louisville.

It has been reported that Bryant Gross-Armiento is now considering his football future after a 2nd ACL tear in the same knee. I'll mention it as part of this discussion even though I would love to see him on the field for the Deacs one day.

In most years it seems like 1-2 players have left the program after the fall semester. We'll see. I am hearing that a lot of kids are happy at Wake and happy with Clawson but obviously there are 85 different personalities and different situations.

One thing that does seem likely is that Wake will not be taking any post-grads in 2016.

Last edited:
EA was down 30-13 to a good Western Alamance team in the 3rd quarter. Lamot lead Eastern to an unbelievable comeback win: 48-37. 5 tds in 12 minutes. He finished with 184 yds rushing and 4 tds.

He's a player.

Jamie Newman passed for 112 yards and a touchdown for Graham in a 44-23 loss. Graham dropped to 1-6 on the year.

Taleni Suhren and Ardrey Kell won 40-14 over Harding.

Traveon Redd and Magna Vista won 44-0 over Bassett.

Essang Bassey and Columbus lost 34-24 to Shaw.

Zander Zimmer and Bishop Moore won 34-14

Jamauri Wakefield and Providence lost 42-35. Wakefield rushed for 251 yards and 3 TDs on 32 carries.

Malik Grate and Pendleton won 45-27

Jeremiah Brown rushed for one TD as SW Guilford lost 38-28 to Glenn.

Jacquez Williams and Liberty County won 26-20

Carlos Basham Jr and a 7-yard TD catch and led a solid defensive showing to lead Northside to a 33-12

Lukas Masterson and Gulf Coast lost 21-15.

Greg Dortch and Highland Springs crushed Hanover 45-0. Dortch had 7 rec for 85 yards, two carries for 71 yards (including a 69-yard TD run), and had 53 yards on returns. Per the game article "Whenever the ball was in his hands Friday night, he was a threat to do something amazing." Article focused quite a bit on Dortch:
http://www.richmond.com/sports/high...cle_b90dc246-6f86-55a6-acb3-cd22c90c8822.html

Cade Carney had 13 carries for 69 yards in a 21-10 win for Davidson Day.

Dominic Maggio and Boys Latin were trailing 27-20 in the 3rd quarter when the game was suspended due to lightning. Will resume on Monday night.

I noticed Carney had a couple of highlights on Football Friday Night on WBTV. The kid looks like a cinder block with legs carrying the ball (and I mean that as a compliment).

How many QB's will we take with this class? I was at the 5A #1 Spartanburg, SC Vikings vs #7 Dorman (SC) game Friday night and the Spartanburg QB Austin Scott had another big game. H is only 6' 195 lbs. but is putting up some big numbers and starting to get some bigger interest.

http://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Scott-57914

How many QB's will we take with this class? I was at the 5A #1 Spartanburg, SC Vikings vs #7 Dorman (SC) game Friday night and the Spartanburg QB Austin Scott had another big game. H is only 6' 195 lbs. but is putting up some big numbers and starting to get some bigger interest.

http://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Scott-57914

Have to believe that Wake is done at QB for 2016. Scott was a guy that was very much on Wake's radar early on. Focus is on 2017 QB recruiting now.

Back