• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I'll let DCDeacon - who has been doing a great job with stats from our commits - fill in the details, but I'll say that Cade Carney, Jamauri Wakefield, Jamie Newman (rushing), Jacquez Williams, Malik Grate and Essang Bassey all had big nights last night.

You may recall that Safety/Rover-commit Jacquez Williams suffered two injuries that sounded serious several weeks ago. It's great to hear that he's back on the field. I think yesterday was his second game back from injury. He's piling up stats on offense.

Sulaiman Kamara will visit UVA today.

I just noticed a new Crystal Ball from earlier this week for Elysee Mbem-Bosse to NCSU.

Emmanuel Walker and Lake Marion lost 36-14 to Timberland for its first loss of the year. Walker had 8 tackles and 3 sacks.

Jimmy Newman ran for 3 TDs and passed for another in a 37-33 win.

Taleni Suhren and Ardrey Kell won 26-17 to move to 5-3 on the year.

Johnny Ray and Wando lost to Stratford 28-14. Wando is now 2-6.

Tra Redd and Magna vista won their fifth in a row, 48-7 over Franklin County to go to 6-1 on the year. Redd led the team with six catches for 59 yards.

Essang Bassey and Columbus won 28-20 over Harris County to go to 6-2 on the year. Bassey ran 13 times for 140 yards (including a 71 yard TD run), had one catch for 12 yards, and an INT to seal the win.

Zander Zimmer and Bishop Moore won 56-0 over Tavares to remain undefeated.

Cade Carney was busy for Davidson Day as he had a 40-yard punt return for a TD, threw a 54-yard TD pass, caught a 49-yard TD pass, had TD runs of 7 and 13 yards, and fumbled twice in a 38-36 win over Charlotte Latin. Davidson Day is 8-0 on the year.

LaRonde Liverpool and Landstown lost 26-14 to Bayside.

Jamauri Wakefield ran for 200 yards and 4 TDs in a 31-14 win for Providence.

Je'Vionte Nash and Oakleaf went to 6-1 on the year with a 42-3 rout of Arlington Country Day.

Jeremiah Brown and SW Guilford won 21-15. Brown had a 45-yard TD catch and a 90-yard catch to setup another score.

Jac Williams and Liberty Country lost 42-20 to Thomson to drop to 5-3 on the year.

Malik Grate caught a 69-yard TD pass to spark Pendleton to a 57-7 trouncing of Carolina Academy. Pendleton is now 6-2.

Carlos Basham Jr and Northside won 10-7 over William Byrd. Northside held Byrd's star running back, Larry Basham (Carlos' cousin), to 31 yards rushing on 15 carries, 170 yards below his season average of 200. Northside is 4-3.

Greg Dortch and Highland Springs improved to 6-1 with a 42-0 win. Dortch had one run for 44 yards and 3 catches for 55 yards.

Dom Maggio and Boys Latin won 41-7 over Severn

Christian Beal and East Forsyth trounced Glenn 42-0. Game got so bad they trigged the mercy run (clock doesn't stop for any reason). Beal had 13 carries for 77 yards and a 6 yard TD run, 3 catches for 8 yards.

Last edited:
Thanks, DCDeacon.

A new Crystal Ball prediction for Donald Stewart to Stanford.

It sounds like Tremayne Anchrum has officially eliminated Wake. I had guessed that we were out of it when we took the commitment from Tyler Watson, but then Anchrum seemed to open the door for a possible visit. Now it sounds like that will definitely not happen. Boston College will get the last visit. I'll be surprised if he ends up anywhere other than Nebraska or Colorado (his father is from there).

Coach Clawson addressed 2016 recruiting on his radio show today. As I think we have assumed, he said they were "close to done". He left open the possibility of 1-2 more players.

The more surprising news was that they may pursue another year of eligibility for Devin Gaulden. When talking about the corner position for next year he said they would have 4 corners (Gaulden, Watson, Henderson and Austin). For obvious reasons he can't mention Essang Bassey yet. But given the lack of players at CB, it is maybe not surprising that they will try to get Gaulden for another year. It does make the scholarship count that much more interesting though.

Coach Clawson addressed 2016 recruiting on his radio show today. As I think we have assumed, he said they were "close to done". He left open the possibility of 1-2 more players.

The more surprising news was that they may pursue another year of eligibility for Devin Gaulden. When talking about the corner position for next year he said they would have 4 corners (Gaulden, Watson, Henderson and Austin). For obvious reasons he can't mention Essang Bassey yet. But given the lack of players at CB, it is maybe not surprising that they will try to get Gaulden for another year. It does make the scholarship count that much more interesting though.

What about Dillon (soph), Okonye (rs soph), Latter (jr), Davis (rs soph)? Are the last 3 all safeties now? Not that any of them are playing much these days; however, it seems like they all played early on in their career, and I believe they all came in as CBs. I guess that also means the Rutgers guy is not counted on to be back?

What about Dillon (soph), Okonye (rs soph), Latter (jr), Davis (rs soph)? Are the last 3 all safeties now? Not that any of them are playing much these days; however, it seems like they all played early on in their career, and I believe they all came in as CBs. I guess that also means the Rutgers guy is not counted on to be back?

Yeah, I thought it was curious that he didn't mention Dillon at all.

Okonye got a prominent mention at safety (I don't think they were happy about having to play him at corner this offseason). Latter was mentioned at safety. Davis didn't get mentioned, but was at safety all summer and had to finish out a game at safety this season when injuries took a toll.

He said that Cam Glenn was a "rising star" and Jessie Bates is making plays every week on scout team.

Back