• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

thanks. I missed that. I was wondering where he was. Very frustrating for him.

Coach Clawson addressed 2016 recruiting on his radio show today. As I think we have assumed, he said they were "close to done". He left open the possibility of 1-2 more players.

The more surprising news was that they may pursue another year of eligibility for Devin Gaulden. When talking about the corner position for next year he said they would have 4 corners (Gaulden, Watson, Henderson and Austin). For obvious reasons he can't mention Essang Bassey yet. But given the lack of players at CB, it is maybe not surprising that they will try to get Gaulden for another year. It does make the scholarship count that much more interesting though.

If they want Gaulden back for a year, we are pretty desperate at corner. He looks like a freshman out there, not a fifth yr senior

Coach Clawson addressed 2016 recruiting on his radio show today. As I think we have assumed, he said they were "close to done". He left open the possibility of 1-2 more players.

I would have to think that we're just waiting on Collins and Kamara at this point, right?

Or, if necessary, another grad student whose cover skills are a wee bit better.

I wonder if our coaches are requiring things that weren't expected at Wisconsin?

If they decide to bring Gaulden back I assume it will be because they think he will continue to develop. He had so many injuries while at Wisconsin that not only did he not see much game action, he likely missed a lot of practice time as well. From an experience perspective, he might basically be a sophomore right now.

In terms of scholarships, one would wonder if his return is linked at all to Gross-Armiento. Maybe he will slide into that scholarship.

If they decide to bring Gaulden back I assume it will be because they think he will continue to develop. He had so many injuries while at Wisconsin that not only did he not see much game action, he likely missed a lot of practice time as well. From an experience perspective, he might basically be a sophomore right now.

In terms of scholarships, one would wonder if his return is linked at all to Gross-Armiento. Maybe he will slide into that scholarship.

thanks 94. wasn't aware he was hurt that much at Wisconsin.

Christian Colon decommitted from Penn State. Can't be good for Kamara, right?

This weekend was originally reported to be Donald Stewart's official visit to Wake. I haven't seen any recent confirmation, but I am assuming it is still on. Here is an updated primer on him:

Donald Stewart (Wide Receiver / Paramus, NJ)

Rating: 3-star (5.6), #18 overall recruit in NJ

Combine Results (have to go back to April 2014): 6’3 / 185, ran a 4.53 40.

Overview: Has 13 P5 offers. Scout’s National Analyst Brian Dohn went to see him in person earlier this month and came away raving (Dohn: “I absolutely loved him”). Dohn praised his body control and ability to adjust when the ball was in the air. He has consistently stated that great academics will be a primary factor in his college decision. Has a 3.5 GPA and is currently taking AP classes in an effort to maintain eligibility for Stanford. He is well-spoken in his interviews. Also competes in track. Says that he likes Wake because of the overall academics, the business school and that the coaching staff was one of the first to start recruiting him and continued recruiting him hard throughout.

Where Things Stand: Plans to take official visits to Wake Forest (this weekend), Michigan (November 28) and Stanford (January 15). Boston College, Vanderbilt and Rutgers are competing for the remaining two visits. He has stated that Stanford was his dream offer. Early on in the process he said that he was in daily contact via Twitter with Jim Harbaugh, but a Michigan website says the Wolverines no longer have a spot for him.

Most Recent Confirmed Visit to Wake: Spring game

Emmanuel Walker had 10 tackles in a 61-15 win for Lake Marion.

Jamie Newman had three TD runs (63, 60, 3) and two TD throws (33, 7) to lead Graham to a 40-18 win.

Talehni Suhren and Ardrey Kell won 44-42. Big matchup next week against #1 ranked team in area, Charlotte Catholic (Go Cougars!)

Johnny Ray and Wando lost 40-28 to Goose Creek. Wando falls to 2-7 on the year

Traveon Redd and Magna Vista won 61-0

Essang Bassey and Columbus lost 24-17. Slim chance Columbus earns its first playoff berth in more than 20 years next week.

Zander Zimmer and Bishop Moore won 44-6. Zimmer was also named District 11 first team (5A through 8A classifications)

Laronde Liverpool and Landstown upset #5 ranked (locally) Salem 21-17 to end a five-game skid.

Jamuari Wakefield and Providence were on a bye.
Here's an article on Wakefield from last week I missed: http://jacksonville.com/sports/high...-jamauri-wakefield-plays-numbers-victory-over

Je'Vionte Nash and Oakleaf won 40-0

Malik Grate and Pendleton won 14-7

Jeremiah Brown and SW Guilford were taken apart by East Forsyth, 42-0

Christian Beal had one TD in that game. No other stats for him yet.

Jacquez Williams and Liberty County won 47-14. Williams had 11 rushes for 135 yard and a TD. He also had two catches for 83 yards and a TD.

Carlos Basham and Northside won 48-3. No word if Basham was one of 8 senior starters suspended for the game for participating in a skip day on Monday.

Lukas Masterson and Gulf Coast won 24-23. They play for the district championship next week.

Greg Dortch had 3 catches for 25 yards (Highland Springs only completed 7 passes on the night) in a 21-0 win.

Cade Carney and Davidson Day stayed undefeated with a 63-7 win. Carney had 4 carries for 72 yards and 3 TDs.

Dominic Maggio and Boys Latin won 40-13.

Last edited:
We need an explosive athlete at receiver and another CB badly . Maybe another safety .

We need an explosive athlete at receiver and another CB badly . Maybe another safety .

Chuck Wade? Tabari Hines? Cortez Lewis? Explosive WRs are not the issue, its allowing our qbs to survive long enough to get the ball to them consistently. Which includes establishing a run game. I will agree with you about athletes in the secondary though.

After replacing Gaulden, I thought Dionte Austin played pretty well; certainly a better cover corner.

Back