• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Another interesting offer was announced today. DT TJ Raham tweeted that he picked up offers from Wake Forest, Iowa State and Kent State. Rayam was originally in the 2016 class and flew under the radar before ultimately signing with UMass. However, instead of enrolling at UMass he decided to go the prep route (New Jersey's The Peddie School) in the hopes of improving his recruiting stock and it looks like he has been successful.

Rayam is the son of a former Alabama DL and won a Class 7A heavyweight wrestling title when he was attending high school in Alabama.

I like this.

Sounds like one of the DTs committed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very iffy just from his offer list. Guess we had to reach here late.

They haven't moved signing day to August, have they? It's not late.

If that's the commit, it's based upon solid evaluation and not because "it's late."

I meant late in our number of spots left available. If this evaluation was shared by only 1 other power 5 team, I would feel much better. Winning recruiting battles with Gardner Webb and Middle Tenn should not be our goal if we want to win some games

While there are plenty of strong clues that DL Zach Anderson was the commit last night, he hasn't tweeted it himself and none of the recruiting services have reported it.

The DT scholarship budget for the 2017 class likely went from 1 to 2 when departing DT Khalil Welsh's scholarship went to 5th year senior Shelldon Lewinson.

I meant late in our number of spots left available. If this evaluation was shared by only 1 other power 5 team, I would feel much better. Winning recruiting battles with Gardner Webb and Middle Tenn should not be our goal if we want to win some games

I get that, but if Anderson is indeed the commit in question, I don't think it would be because the staff is settling.

Demetris Harris is committing tom at 4. I say its GATech.

I have the impression that Harris is Wake's top remaining OL target. He has narrowed his choices to Wake, GT and South Florida. There were 3 new 247 Crystal Ball predictions today. Two for GT and one for South Florida.

Here is my updated commitment list and Board. For each position group I have made a guess at whether there is still a spot specifically set aside for that position, or alternatively whether a recruit would only get a spot to the extent that the staff has a “best player available” scholarship that they are willing to use on a player.

2zydawk.jpg

34q0ebk.jpg

Zach Anderson confirmed his commitment on Twitter (and also to Wake Rivals). He also tweeted that he has received two offers since his Wake commitment, although he didn’t say what schools had offered him.

I believe that CB Tre Norwood’s visit is scheduled for Thursday.

Demetris Harris’ announcement looks like it will be one of those rare announcements where there will actually be some suspense, although Georgia Tech remains the favorite.

This article link confirms that Avery Showell was recruited to play strong safety.

Great work as always 94. Does the strong safety play the weak side, the rover the strong side, and the free safety play centerfield? Who covers the slot WR? No wonder why this defense confuses QBs.

Great work as always 94. Does the strong safety play the weak side, the rover the strong side, and the free safety play centerfield? Who covers the slot WR? No wonder why this defense confuses QBs.

In the 4-2-5 there is generally no strong safety/free safety distinction so the article probably had that part incorrect. My understanding is that the field corner, rover, and one of the safeties are always together on one side of the field. The rover typically covers the slot WR or TE depending on which personnel are in the game. The field corner is always out wide. Very rarely (for example in the NC State game when Nyheim Hines had torched us) the Rover will come out in favor of a slot corner. When the ball is placed on the opposite hash, those 3 players (field corner, rover, and a safety) simply flip sides of the field.

The other side of the field has the boundary corner and other safety. Ideally, these two "groups" of DBs get use to playing together as a unit.

In many 4-2-5 the safeties are permitted to make formation adjustments for their side of the field without having to consider what the other side of the field is doing.

Is there any way Paul Johnson could be on the hot-seat this year?

I'm pretty worried about our OL recruiting success for this year in particular. I know the staff still has some time to recruit, but I feel like we've missed on all our top OL prospects. The two we have don't have any other P5 offers. Hopefully they can work some magic and find some talent.

OL has been a problem for years and I have seen little to indicate it will get better anytime soon

Cornerback Jamar Richardson committed to Ole Miss. So my cornerback board goes back to 3.

On OL recruiting it will be interesting to see if the staff makes any new offers, or whether they focus on locking up someone else that currently has a Wake offer. I can't imagine that they would stay at two OLs in this class. OL is also one of the most difficult positions to recruit in December and January (in my opinion).

Cornerback Jamar Richardson committed to Ole Miss. So my cornerback board goes back to 3.

On OL recruiting it will be interesting to see if the staff makes any new offers, or whether they focus on locking up someone else that currently has a Wake offer. I can't imagine that they would stay at two OLs in this class. OL is also one of the most difficult positions to recruit in December and January (in my opinion).

Creamer watch?

Back