• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Hmmm, I was just considering paying for Rivals because of the work Les was doing. Will have to rethink that now.

Exactly my thought when I joined Scout today. Glad I dragged my feet on Rivals membership.

We have 5 LBs in this class? 94, can you remind me how that plays out? Who plays another position from that group or plays a variation of LB in the 4-2-5?

We have 5 LBs in this class? 94, can you remind me how that plays out? Who plays another position from that group or plays a variation of LB in the 4-2-5?

94 addressed this in a previous post that in two years a lot of LBs (Lee, Dawson, Williams) will have graduated and there's plenty of PT for them. Some could play rover or the standing DE.

94 addressed this in a previous post that in two years a lot of LBs (Lee, Dawson, Williams) will have graduated and there's plenty of PT for them. Some could play rover or the standing DE.

Well said. I there is likely a Rover in this group and probably a greyshirt as well (speculation). So you could look at it as taking 4 for 3 spots and already having the LB for next year's class via a greyshirt. I think that LB has maybe been shortchanged a little in terms of scholarships in previous classes while the staff focused on more glaring weaknesses. There may be a little uncertainty about Riggins leading up to signing day, but that's based solely on all of the offers he received after he committed. I think he is probably solid.

With all of that being said, I think there is an element of the staff showing some flexibility on scholarships and being opportunistic when there is talent available, especially when those guys really like Wake.

Let's wait on Monroe to make the announcement himself before we celebrate too much though.

Some thoughts on where things will stand if Monroe does in fact commit.

I think there would probably be 3 spots left. Maybe 4, but that would be somewhat of a stretch.

One spot has to be set aside for Mike Allen because there is probably a 50% chance that he commits to Wake.

There are no WR commits yet, so one would think that a spot has to go to that position. A place might be held for Mac Hippenhammer, but Wake's chances are really small (< 10%). Les had the scoop on Twitter last night that Ahoskie WR Jacquarri Roberson visited yesterday. I've predicted that both he and Justin Gibbs will ultimately end up at Wake, but now I'm wondering if the staff has room left for 2 WRs.

That would leave one (maybe two) other spots. At least until Mike Allen makes his decision. There is also a question as to whether the staff wants to keep a spot available heading into the fall. Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what position the next non-WR scholarship goes to. Could there be a scenario where Wake would end up with only 1 WR and 2 OL in the class?

Bottom line though: I think things may get reasonably quiet on the recruiting front.

Some thoughts on where things will stand if Monroe does in fact commit.

I think there would probably be 3 spots left. Maybe 4, but that would be somewhat of a stretch.

One spot has to be set aside for Mike Allen because there is probably a 50% chance that he commits to Wake.

There are no WR commits yet, so one would think that a spot has to go to that position. A place might be held for Mac Hippenhammer, but Wake's chances are really small (< 10%). Les had the scoop on Twitter last night that Ahoskie WR Jacquarri Roberson visited yesterday. I've predicted that both he and Justin Gibbs will ultimately end up at Wake, but now I'm wondering if the staff has room left for 2 WRs.

That would leave one (maybe two) other spots. At least until Mike Allen makes his decision. There is also a question as to whether the staff wants to keep a spot available heading into the fall. Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what position the next non-WR scholarship goes to. Could there be a scenario where Wake would end up with only 1 WR and 2 OL in the class?

Bottom line though: I think things may get reasonably quiet on the recruiting front.

Has Hippenhammer expressed an interest in a field of study? It appears that his mom is a physician. If he has similar aspirations, he could be the next Deac FB'er to go to Bowman Gray.

We desperately need to show some life this coming season if for no other reason than to reestablish a recruiting appeal. I can't help but sense that we are struggling to entice a minimal ACC level of talent this year due to our lack of on-field success.

I agree about needing more OL in this class, but I feel like we have missed on most of our targets and haven't seen many new offers. I'm hopeful some high quality recruits will come on our radar in the coming months, but I feel like they should be selective and not press the panic button and take a less skilled player out of necessity

Am i imagining that we offered Oline recruits earlier this year than last year?

We need to get a center. Harris (sr), Terry (jr) will be gone when '17 class takes the field. The CBs are in the same shape. Five sr and jr's. Three sophs and froshs. The new LBs could be used immediately for help on special teams. Does anybody remember when we brought a kick back to the house?

My guess is Ryan Anderson moves back to center next year and either Gilliam or Benzinger starts at Tackle

Back