• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

If players like Monroe and Allen want to commit, we must take them. Based on my numbers, we should be good moving forward at wide receiver, even if we do not land one this year. We could use another OL, but if one does not surface, I can see Claw going after that position next year like he has LB's this year.

JP, that sounds like a plan. We filled up on DE's and S's last year. We'll have 5 LBs dress out this season (Lee, Williams, Wary, May, and McNeil) so stocking up is not a bad idea. We could use some more depth at CB though.

Last edited:
Also gotta remember how valuable LBs are on special teams. there will be plenty of PT for these 5 LBs, let them separate themselves. If Clawson had it his way, LBs would contribute on special teams their RS Fr year with spot duty at LB. then RS Sophomore year they get more snaps at LB

We need talent and depth at any position where we can get it.

2017 Football Recruiting - Avery Showell and Jeffery Burley commit to Wake

Per LesJohns

Chase Monroe committed.

Last edited:
Wow--staff continues to do a great job. Need at least 5-7 this year to show recruits that progress has been made. Starting to get a lot of ACC caliber talent into the program.

Wow! Chase Monroe! I have no idea who this is. But it sounds like I should be pleased. (I will go back and read what the thread experts have been saying about him, thanks for your work.) Welcome, Chase "The Ballcarrier" Monroe! Glad you're a Deac.

Welcome, Chase!

I bet Cade Carney helped us reel him in. We are looking stacked at linebacker moving forward. Need to shift focus to Corner and OL.

It's gonna be fun watching Davidson Day games this year!

Their coach, Chad Grier, told me yesterday that they're scrimmaging East Forsyth & North Davidson on Aug 10 at the Jamboree at Winston-Salem Parkland. I don't know the exact times and details, but if you're in the are you may want to go check them out.

Here are my notes on Wake’s latest commit.

CHASE MONROE (Davidson Day HS / Davidson, NC)

Rivals Rating: 3-star (5.5)

Other P5 Offers: Kentucky, Mississippi State, Illinois and West Virginia

Official Measures: 6’1.5 / 218 (on April 24th)

Recruitment: Monroe was perhaps Wake’s first legitimate target in the 2017 class. His Wake offer goes all the way back to June 8 of last year. Since then Monroe has spent a lot of time around the program. Kentucky and Mississippi State offered in February 2016, and at one point Monroe was told that he was the top LB on Kentucky’s board. Kentucky recruited him very hard and there was a stretch where he picked up eight different 247 Crystal Ball predictions for UK. West Virginia (where former teammate Will Grier has transferred) likely received some late consideration after they offered over the summer after seeing him perform at their 7-on-7 tournament.

Other Notes: Monroe’s calling card is his versatility. Not your traditional, old school stay-at-home MLB, but also not an OLB type either. He’s sort of a “new world” ILB - exactly the type of LB that you want on the field against spread offenses. He is a solid tackler, can blitz, but also excels in coverage and playing in space. Can cover a lot of ground from his LB position. He will stay on the field on third down. If he develops as expected, Coach Elko will be able to do a lot of different things with him and so I think he is a really great fit for Wake’s system. Draws a lot of praise for his intelligence and character. His combine numbers at The Opening – Charlotte were good, but not spectacular. He didn’t record a 40 time. His best showing was the vertical jump where his 34.5 inch jump tied for 15th among recruits weighing 200 pounds or more. His father played at Southern Miss.

He seems to read the QB really well in those videos. Hes gonna be a good one.

Gimme Mike Allen, Justin Gibbs and Jeremiah Owusu to finish out the class and that would be a hell of a job by Claw and staff!

Back