• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

94 -

Do you see him as a 'centerpiece' ? He was our 3rd/4th option no ?

He is the "centerpiece" in the sense that the offense revolves around the quarterback and Claw has said he wants a QB in each class, so this guy giving the verbal is the most important commit in the class.

94 -

Do you see him as a 'centerpiece' ? He was our 3rd/4th option no ?

There is too much that I don't know about Bowers to really weigh in. Don't know his height or his 40 time. Don't know how he would stack up against other QBs in a camp setting. Don't know how much of his production in HS came from having a corps of D1 receivers to throw to. Seems like a really good kid and I'm hoping that we got a big kid with a big arm. We will find out in time. As Deaconblue said, whether you view him as the centerpiece depends on whether you view the QB as always being the centerpiece of every class.

I agree with StrickDeac's post that Wake may not be done recruiting Taylor Powell. I'm very eager to see a new interview with Powell to see what he says about Wake, and I'm putting him back on my Board until we get clarity.

Even though I love following football recruiting, every once and a while I like to try to remind people how silly and broken the system is. Watching my Twitter timeline over the past week, it seems like the last stages of the spring evaluation period have deteriorated into everyone just offering everyone (note: Wake hasn’t really been a part of the recent offer mayhem). As Nick Saban discussed here some offers are contingent on players coming to camp and receiving a satisfactory evaluation. Which begs the question, is an offer that is contingent on camp performance actually an offer?

Here’s a look at some selected schools in the ACC and around the region to show how many offers they have made for the 2017 class. Remarkably, Louisville (the perennial leader in this stat) has extended roughly 18 times as many offers as they will likely take in commitments, and over twice as many offers as some other ACC schools.

Some ACC Schools
Louisville - 358
N.C. State - 204
Wake Forest – 197
Duke - 178
Boston College – 175
Pitt - 171
Virginia – 148

Some Other Schools Wake Seems to Overlap With This Year
Mississippi State - 296
West Virginia – 223
Maryland – 215
Vanderbilt - 207
Indiana - 189

Nice work as always, 94. I'm sure that the staff takes flyers on regional 5-4*s (you never know). I think that they offer 6 for every spot that they have open and continually add as they commit to other schools. That would explain so many offers for a class of 18-20. As far as Bowers is concerned, I trust the coaches to choose a player that they have met and talked too, rather than a scouting service that never seen the kid.

2018 prospect Nate Thompson picked up another P5 offer yesterday from South Carolina. That makes 3 P5 in the last month. I hope Wake doesn't wait too long on offering.

Last edited:
South Carolina QB Connor Mitch who is from Raleigh is going to graduate and transfer. He will have 2 years of eligibility left. Mitch was the starting QB for the first two games ( one a win over the Tarholes) until he got hurt and never played another down. He was a 4 star recruit. Mitch didn't play much and was not overly impressive in his limited playing time but still is an intriquing transfer for some team.

"South Carolina QB Connor Mitch who is from Raleigh is going to graduate and transfer. He will have 2 years of eligibility left. Mitch was the starting QB for the first two games ( one a win over the Tarholes) until he got hurt and never played another down. He was a 4 star recruit. Mitch didn't play much and was not overly impressive in his limited playing time but still is an intriquing transfer for some team."

Agree with Deac--this is a big gamble but it may pay off somewhere.

“It’s boosted me up so now I know where I’m ranked and what I need to do so I can get way better offers,” he said. “I want to become special in any kind of way.”

Nice

Has potential and I think we are seeing a pattern develop in that we seem to be changing our recruiting philosophy a bit lately. Grabbing guys that don't have major offers but have a lot of upside and hoping to hold on to them if bigger offers come along. We are recruiting in the "sleeper" category more now, let's just hope they are better than others think

This edition of the Big Board highlights which other P5 schools have offered each recruit. Additionally, I have put an asterisk on offers received in May so that you can see who is “hot” right now, but also to show how much offer lists have expanded in the last three weeks.

29mni4p.jpg

1zow4r5.jpg

Alright, I’m starting to get excited about football recruiting again. Camps start in just two weeks. The Board seems to have shaken out further, so there is a clearer picture of the realistic targets going forward. I have 39 players that I am watching closely for what should be 10-12 remaining spots. 28 of those recruits have at least three other P5 offers and my hope is that the upgraded facilities will help Wake attract their fair share of those players.

Let’s take a look at Wake competition for these recruits. First off, I’m keeping a close eye on 5 recruits with 10 or more P5 offers: WR MJ Jarrell, DE Mike Allen, DT Jalen Twyman, DE/DT Victor Dimukeje and DB Josh Blackwell. These recruits have diverse (and seemingly ever expanding) offer sheets. Setting aside those five recruits for a moment, here is who Wake overlaps with most often for the remaining 34 recruits:

Boston College: 12 recruits
Syracuse: 9
Rutgers: 8
NCSU: 8
Illinois: 7
Kentucky: 7
Mississippi State, Iowa State, Indiana and Maryland: 6 recruits each

With Wake pushing harder into Alabama and Georgia it is no surprise that we see some of the same schools that Wake overlapped with two years ago. There are number of northern schools that are trying to make inroads into some of the areas with deeper talent pools. Boston College always seems to top this list each year as they make a number of offers in the South - but usually don’t end up landing any. If Wake can win battles against northern schools like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa State and Indiana then it seems like Wake should be in good shape.

It is also interesting to note which schools don’t appear on the list. Other than the battles for the aforementioned Jarrell, Allen, Twyman, Dimukeje and Blackwell, it doesn’t seem like Duke (3 recruits), Virginia (2 recruits) and Virginia Tech (0 recruits) will be major factors. Vanderbilt (4 recruits) and Georgia Tech (4 recruits) also don’t show up as much as one might have thought.

Some other notes:

QUARTERBACK

Taylor Powell was recently offered by Indiana. Wake and Indiana might be his only P5 options right now as I don’t see him mentioned with Vanderbilt anymore. Powell threw for Texas A&M recently but they appear to have headed in a different direction.

LINEBACKER

With two LBs in the fold, this situation is interesting since the remaining recruits might be competing for “best player available” type slots. I don’t think that taking a third LB is unreasonable this year as Wake hasn’t taken many LBs in the past 3 classes. I’m convinced that Wake is neck and neck with Kentucky for Chase Monroe. Dylan Meeks said recently that he is favoring Wake and Indiana. Tre Allen seems to like Wake a lot and has very recently blown up with offers from schools like Mizzou and Ole Miss. On top of those players, Jeffery Burley (Jackson HS / Jackson, GA) frequently mentions Wake, and included the Deacs in his top 5, although he hasn’t yet reported an offer. Burley does have scholarship offers from Minnesota, Mississippi State and N.C. State.

DEFENSIVE BACK

Trey Creamer will visit Wake on June 3 and apparently will make the trip with new teammate Avery Showell. Showell is a safety with offers from schools like Minnesota, Rutgers and West Virginia. Although Showell doesn’t yet have a Wake offer, he recently mentioned Wake as a “dream school”.

This edition of the Big Board highlights which other P5 schools have offered each recruit. Additionally, I have put an asterisk on offers received in May so that you can see who is “hot” right now, but also to show how much offer lists have expanded in the last three weeks.

29mni4p.jpg

1zow4r5.jpg

Alright, I’m starting to get excited about football recruiting again. Camps start in just two weeks. The Board seems to have shaken out further, so there is a clearer picture of the realistic targets going forward. I have 39 players that I am watching closely for what should be 10-12 remaining spots. 28 of those recruits have at least three other P5 offers and my hope is that the upgraded facilities will help Wake attract their fair share of those players.

Let’s take a look at Wake competition for these recruits. First off, I’m keeping a close eye on 5 recruits with 10 or more P5 offers: WR MJ Jarrell, DE Mike Allen, DT Jalen Twyman, DE/DT Victor Dimukeje and DB Josh Blackwell. These recruits have diverse (and seemingly ever expanding) offer sheets. Setting aside those five recruits for a moment, here is who Wake overlaps with most often for the remaining 34 recruits:

Boston College: 12 recruits
Syracuse: 9
Rutgers: 8
NCSU: 8
Illinois: 7
Kentucky: 7
Mississippi State, Iowa State, Indiana and Maryland: 6 recruits each

With Wake pushing harder into Alabama and Georgia it is no surprise that we see some of the same schools that Wake overlapped with two years ago. There are number of northern schools that are trying to make inroads into some of the areas with deeper talent pools. Boston College always seems to top this list each year as they make a number of offers in the South - but usually don’t end up landing any. If Wake can win battles against northern schools like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa State and Indiana then it seems like Wake should be in good shape.

It is also interesting to note which schools don’t appear on the list. Other than the battles for the aforementioned Jarrell, Allen, Twyman, Dimukeje and Blackwell, it doesn’t seem like Duke (3 recruits), Virginia (2 recruits) and Virginia Tech (0 recruits) will be major factors. Vanderbilt (4 recruits) and Georgia Tech (4 recruits) also don’t show up as much as one might have thought.

Some other notes:

QUARTERBACK

Taylor Powell was recently offered by Indiana. Wake and Indiana might be his only P5 options right now as I don’t see him mentioned with Vanderbilt anymore. Powell threw for Texas A&M recently but they appear to have headed in a different direction.

LINEBACKER

With two LBs in the fold, this situation is interesting since the remaining recruits might be competing for “best player available” type slots. I don’t think that taking a third LB is unreasonable this year as Wake hasn’t taken many LBs in the past 3 classes. I’m convinced that Wake is neck and neck with Kentucky for Chase Monroe. Dylan Meeks said recently that he is favoring Wake and Indiana. Tre Allen seems to like Wake a lot and has very recently blown up with offers from schools like Mizzou and Ole Miss. On top of those players, Jeffery Burley (Jackson HS / Jackson, GA) frequently mentions Wake, and included the Deacs in his top 5, although he hasn’t yet reported an offer. Burley does have scholarship offers from Minnesota, Mississippi State and N.C. State.

DEFENSIVE BACK

Trey Creamer will visit Wake on June 3 and apparently will make the trip with new teammate Avery Showell. Showell is a safety with offers from schools like Minnesota, Rutgers and West Virginia. Although Showell doesn’t yet have a Wake offer, he recently mentioned Wake as a “dream school”.

Deac94, does it look like we are still going after Talylor Powell since the Bowers commit? What are our thoughts on potentially taking 2 QBs in the class?

Deac94, does it look like we are still going after Talylor Powell since the Bowers commit? What are our thoughts on potentially taking 2 QBs in the class?

There are signs that Wake has continued to recruit Powell, which absolutely took me by surprise. I am dying for someone to publish a new Powell article to see what he has to say about Wake. There are a number of potential reasons why Wake would still be recruiting a QB, and I don't want to get into speculating just yet.

Has potential and I think we are seeing a pattern develop in that we seem to be changing our recruiting philosophy a bit lately. Grabbing guys that don't have major offers but have a lot of upside and hoping to hold on to them if bigger offers come along. We are recruiting in the "sleeper" category more now, let's just hope they are better than others think

I agree with this, but would note that Clawson and staff have done this from the time they have arrived. Not afraid to trust their own evals and swing for the fences with some raw, high upside guys. I've mentioned before that it will be very interesting to see how Jake Benzinger and Alex Bachman do this year. They were two of the original "zero star" recruits and I know that Les from Rivals (who attends and summarizes all the practices) likes them both.

The Nya commitment in particular reminds me of the Phil Haynes commitment that first summer after Clawson arrived.

Back