• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

Somebody had posted he is making a little over $1M.

Actually, according to this, he's making $1.16M not "close to $2M". http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/miller-highest-paid-coach-atlantic/2f8Jru3hw6UF6JAZzehtgP/

I've found three other articles saying his base salary is around $700K with bonuses on top of that.

I would guess State would start its bidding at $2.5M.

Trying reading the article before you post it.

UD would not reveal Miller’s current total compensation, but outgoing UD President Dan Curran indicated that the popular coach has received two raises since his pay was bumped to $1.16 million two years ago, after the Flyers advanced to the Elite Eight in the 2014 tournament.

“It’s been increased appropriately,” Curran said. “He is where Shaka was.”

Curran was referring to former VCU coach Shaka Smart, who was the A-10’s highest-paid coach before he took the University of Texas job in April 2015. ESPN reported at the time that Smart made $1.8 million in his last year at VCU.

Several points just to bring up:

Gottfried’s annual compensation to at least $2.48 million annually through 2020 with his base salary at $760,000. NC State is on the hook for 3 more years of his base salary so that is $2,280,000. So with Debbie Yow retiring one of these days [contract runs thru July 2019] as their AD, would she want to hire a new coach {again} that may not work out or be the type the next AD would like? I still think things have gotten so bad in Raleigh that she pulls the trigger on this firing. They are making tons of money with the ACC deal even though they have tons of money in bills from buildings.

Several points just to bring up:

Gottfried’s annual compensation to at least $2.48 million annually through 2020 with his base salary at $760,000. NC State is on the hook for 3 more years of his base salary so that is $2,280,000. So with Debbie Yow retiring one of these days [contract runs thru July 2019] as their AD, would she want to hire a new coach {again} that may not work out or be the type the next AD would like? I still think things have gotten so bad in Raleigh that she pulls the trigger on this firing. They are making tons of money with the ACC deal even though they have tons of money in bills from buildings.

Even though her current contract is through 2019, that doesn't mean necessarily that she retires then. She was born in September 1950 so she would be just shy of age 69 when her contract expires. She could re--up for a few more years, and retire just before she hits 72. Wellman is as old now as she would be when her current contract ends.

She's retiring when her contract is up. She's already announced that.

Sources say that Gott is out at the end of the year and Yow will hire Bzz because State fans were so impressed when he was our head coach. To a man, they all thought Bzz deserved a longer tenure as he was turning the program around. Much the same way as Wake fans think that Gott should stay at NCSU for similar reasons. If anybody asks Jay Bilas, I'm sure he will be in Gott's court lobbying for him to stay.

rj wants his sense of humor back

Jeff Goodman really likes to stick it it to State fans for some reason. Says he'll change his avatar for a month to an NC State related photo if Miller goes to State.

She's retiring when her contract is up. She's already announced that.

I do wonder how she's been able to comfortably dictate the terms of her own retirement, given that she's been not particularly competitive in a competitive industry for 20 years. Her handling of the Gary Williams relationship and the financial troubles at Maryland might have been enough to get somebody else fired (I don't recall exactly what led to the Fridge moving on, but that was about the same time, IIRC), and then she gets to NC State and...let's just say the mediocrity marches on. She cans TOB and replaces him with a guy who hasn't been able to sustain the success of his fired predecessor, and she launches a tantrum halfway through the last coaching search, resulting in a memo blaming Gary Williams for her inability to land her targets (as though that isn't the way it always is for N.C. State), and she can't let the conspiracy theory go during the press conference introducing her panic hire Gottfried. "Hello, everyone, this is your new coach, but he's not really my fault." Gee, thanks, boss.

If she can't even deliver an N.C. State alum to N.C. State to replace her last failed hire, how is she not the next one fired?

The answer is her fanbase elevates her tantrums and grandstanding over holding her to realistic expectations. She bloodied Karl Hess and rubbed the League's nose in it. I can't think of another apparent accomplishment for her tenure. Anybody could have spent Clemson and Florida State's money fixing up an old gym. Slow clap. Win something. Anything.

Last edited:
Archie's going to OSU
State will end up with Keatts

Jeff Goodman really likes to stick it it to State fans for some reason. Says he'll change his avatar for a month to an NC State related photo if Miller goes to State.

State fans are really fun to stick it to. I think I'm still banned over there.

I was wrong with my ages of coaches... I thought Calipari was much older than 58 and Pitino older than 64. I had them both 6 years older in my mind. Maybe, like the presidency, being a head college basketball ages the hell out of you.

Matta's seat may be warming but he's likely to be back next year. Matta's protégé, John Groce, OTOH, is a dead man walking at Illinois, and there are plenty of Illinois fans who believe (or perhaps hope) that Archie Miller will be at or near the top of the Illini's list. Groce has a terrific recruiting class signed for next year which may make the Illinois job that much more appealing, assuming the next coach is able to keep the class together.

God, that would really suck for State fans if they couldn't hire an alumnus that was coaching at Dayton. Ouch. That's tough.

If only there were another former NC State player in coaching who's ready for a step up:

Also:

Back