• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015-2016 MLB Stove: Talk To Your Congressman About Stopping DH Expansion

Cliff Lee’s career is over

5kMS2lq.gif

what3v3r_medium_medium.gif

leestare.gif

I was really cised for the Red Sox this season but I'm starting to get more concerned. They have so many high variance players. It could end up horribly. Betts, Price, and Bogaerts will most likely be pretty good, after that there is so much uncertainty. If Pedroia's range doesn't rebound the left side of the infield is going to be porous. Sandoval and Hanley who knows. Swihart is young, hopefully he'll hit but his defense is questionable. Then Bradley and Castillo can defend but might not hit at all. David Ortiz is 40.

Then the pitching is banking on Porcello rebounding with what might be a terrible infield defense. Eduardo Rodriguez was really inconsistent last year. Clay Buchholz is Clay Buccholz. Tazawa looked terrible down the stretch, Koji is 40.

Dexter Fowler to the Cubs in a one year deal for $8 MM (mutual option for $9 million for next year, which means almost nothing). He turned down a one year $15.8 MM qualifying offer from the Cubs in November. His agent should waive his fee for that mistake. BTW, the Orioles had a 3 year $33 million deal on the table. Joe Maddon is a draw; Orioles are not. Chris Coglan also dealt to the A's to make room for Fowler. Jason Heyward will play RF, and Schwarber will platoon in LF (probably with Soler).

Last edited:
uhh, they didn't just have a deal on the table - it was reported that he agreed to it! He told Adam Jones he was excited to be an Oriole! Then insisted on an opt out and backed out when the Os said no

If the Cubs and Joe Maddon were such a draw, he would have agreed to the QO and that would have been that. Instead he took $7 million less. Not even mentioning the Os terms.

His agent should be blackballed

Last edited:
Dexter Fowler to the Cubs in a one year deal for $8 MM (mutual option for $9 million for next year, which means almost nothing). He turned down a one year $15.8 MM qualifying offer from the Cubs in November. His agent should waive his fee for that mistake. BTW, the Orioles had a 3 year $33 million deal on the table. Joe Maddon is a draw; Orioles are not. Chris Coglan also dealt to the A's to make room for Fowler. Jason Heyward will play RF, and Schwarber will platoon in LF (probably with Soler).

I heard this was always on the table, honestly, no clue if this makes us better - probably not, less Soler in the lineup, platoon Schwarber now - imagine Soler/Schwarber/Folwer should still each get 120 or starts, with Schwarber going to catcher for 20 or so games. Cogs was replaceable as Baez will take his role - but that is an amazing deal for the Cubs.

Technically, its a 1/$13, so not that far off.

uhh, they didn't just have a deal on the table - it was reported that he agreed to it! He told Adam Jones he was excited to be an Oriole! Then insisted on an opt out and backed out when the Os said no

If the Cubs and Joe Maddon were such a draw, he would have agreed to the QO and that would have been that. Instead he took $7 million less. Not even mentioning the Os terms.

His agent should be blackballed

Not exactly true, he was looking for 3/$45 or 4/$60 (which the cubs wouldnt do) and didnt get anywhere near that because the market died with teams not wanting to give up the pick.

Fowler was a key part in the team coming together last year and he has a pretty strong bond with the core of the team.

What's not true? I didn't mention anything about his previous demands, and it's definitely widely reported that he agreed to that deal. Buster Olney:

ESPN: Dexter Fowler, Orioles strike three-year, $35M agreement

And re: Adam Jones, there's a bunch out there - here's one from Jayson Stark on Twitter

Jayson Stark
ESPN Senior Writer
The Orioles didn't announce the Dexter Fowler signing today, but Adam Jones pretty much did: "I spoke with him. He's excited. He should be on his way here now."

The opt out stuff is circulating on Twitter now

What's not true? I didn't mention anything about his previous demands, and it's definitely widely reported that he agreed to that deal. Buster Olney:

ESPN: Dexter Fowler, Orioles strike three-year, $35M agreement

And re: Adam Jones, there's a bunch out there - here's one from Jayson Stark on Twitter

Jayson Stark
ESPN Senior Writer
The Orioles didn't announce the Dexter Fowler signing today, but Adam Jones pretty much did: "I spoke with him. He's excited. He should be on his way here now."

The opt out stuff is circulating on Twitter now

You said if Maddon was such a draw he would have accepted the QO - which isn't true, he wanted to stay with the Cubs, but he also wanted a long term deal, both were not possible - when he couldn't find what he wanted, he came back.

Honestly, I'm shocked he passed on a 3/$35 - but, I guess he is banking on himself and he will have to come out next year and compete with Yoanus in the FA market.

Yeah, and everything I have seen is that he backed out when the Orioles would not give him an opt out. Granted, you would have figured that would have been part of the negotiating up until that point.

He got a long term deal offered! But instead decided to make a dumb move and catfish AJ in the process just for shits and giggles.

Man, I've never gone from apathetic to loving to hating a player so quickly.

Yeah, and everything I have seen is that he backed out when the Orioles would not give him an opt out. Granted, you would have figured that would have been part of the negotiating up until that point.

Dan Duquette and the Orioles don't do opt-outs. It's widely known at this point.

He got a long term deal offered! But instead decided to make a dumb move and catfish AJ in the process just for shits and giggles.

Man, I've never gone from apathetic to loving to hating a player so quickly.

Cespedes more or less did the same thing, both were looking for more money than was out there, both liked the O's long term deal, but both wanted the opt out control that teams are giving now - and the O's said no.

I'm convinced that the Cespedes offer helped get Davis on board, and then it was pulled when Davis was signed. It could have been seriously considered, maybe not. But that one didn't matter.

So the Orioles thought they had a deal with a guy who tried to renegotiate then backed out? That must suck for them.

Back