• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Coaching Carousel: Southern Miss HC to Tampa Bay

Dave Glenn also mentions Beamer/Withers but says there are other candidates as well:
David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 2h2 hours ago

DG confirms 2 ECU candidates:
VT AHC Shane Beamer (38, son of Frank)
JMU HC Everett Withers (52, born Charlotte, played App St, 1-yr HC UNC)
David Glenn Show ‏@DavidGlennShow 2h2 hours ago

To be clear, DG emphasizes there are more/unconfirmed candidates, too. But he can confirm interest/discussions between ECU & Withers/Beamer.

They interviewed State OC Matt Canada as well.

Earlier in the year I thought Ruffin was a good candidate to replace London. He knew how to beat Frank Beamer so it would be ironic if Shane replaces him.

I have to admit that I don't give a shit about the ECU coaching search.

Also laughing at TheReff (again) for assuming that USC will have a good defense because Muschamp was able to recruit at Florida. That would be like assuming that USC was going to be a perpetual powerhouse because Spurrier did it at Florida.

Looking at the ECU board it looks like they had hoped they were getting Chizik but it would now appear that's not happening. Sounds like it's down to Shane Beamer or Everett Withers of JMU or possibly Randy Shannon.

The Ruffin McNeil firing is a classic example of athletic program with an inflated view of itself (realize that McNeil was offered an "extension", but they tried to lowball his assistant coaches, knowing that McNeil wouldn't go for it; bottom line the AD wanted a new coach). Under McNeill, ECU:

- went to bowl games 4 out of his 6 years
- went 42-34
- beat VT, UNC and NC State twice
- won 10 games once and 8 games twice
- stepped up in the FBS conference hierarchy by moving up from the C-USA to the American conference.

Really can't wait to see what ECU's record is over the next 6 years. BTW. McNeil is an ECU alum. Bad.

I think it's just an AD trying to bring in his own guy. It's a strange strategy to me. Ride the popular coach until things go south then the AD can say, "Well he wasn't my guy" and let him go. Worst case scenario, the coach wins a ton and the AD gets credit anyway.

It's a shame UAB's football program lost so many guys, or else I think Bill Clark would be perfect for a job like ECU or better. He turned UAB from a team that won 12 games the previous 4 years combined into a bowl team in a single season. He's probably still too green for a bigger program, but he is on the up and up. Unfortunately, UAB is inevitably going to have some tough years ahead because of the shut down that will likely hamstring Clark's career for at least 3 - 5 years.

And that's been the case for as long as I can remember.

I hope ECU hires the football equivalent of Jeff [Redacted]. Fuck those purple pansies.

Agreed. As others stated, ecu appears to have a very inflated opinion of its football program.

I don't see how Ruffin's firing supports that. It seems everything coming out of ECU is that people were surprised and very disappointed that he was fired.

I don't see how Ruffin's firing supports that. It seems everything coming out of ECU is that people were surprised and very disappointed that he was fired.
The administration, not the fans.

It makes me wonder if their wasn't something else going on, it sure doesn't seem there was any pressure to make a change. I hope Ruf gets a good job elsewhere, seems like a good guy and he loves ECU.

You can add Brady Hoke to the list of names.
James Madison head coach Everett Withers, former Michigan head coach Brady Hoke and former Va. Tech assistant Shane Beamer have all interviewed for the Pirates head coaching vacancy, according to sources, and former Auburn head man Gene Chizik, the UNC defensive coordinator, is also believed to be someone ECU is interested in. Word is there may be two other candidates in consideration and that the school is hoping to have its new coach in place by Sunday.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/east-carolina-pirates-brady-hoke-shame-beamer-everett-withers-gene-chizik-head-coach-121015

Talking to an ECU alum last night and he seemed to think it had to do with the possibility of a new chancellor. McNeill was trending down and a new chancellor wouldn't ok the fire of a popular alum coach his first couple of years, so it's now or in several years. Makes some sense in wacky AD thought process sort of way. He's pretty pissed at the firing.

Back