• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh...I really don't think a RB is worth a 1st round pick with so many teams using RBBC or going through multiple backs a season...though its tough to argue with recent success of Gurley, Gordon, and Elliott.

Ultimately, those RBs would look like hot trash running behind left tackle Mike Remmers. With that said, our line was even worse than people realize because JStew was so good and hid some issues there.

I could also see GMan double dipping on second day for RBs and then dropping one of 2 picks/CAP and carry 4 RBs on the roster this year with the hopes that one of the group emerges as a replacement for JStew for the next season.

I think OL is too important of a need to skip on this draft. Oher might be finished, and even if he comes back there is no guarantee he plays at the level he did the previous season. With Kalil (again assuming he can come back and play at the level we'd expect), Trai Turner, and the highest rated OL in this draft the line is looking much better. But to not address it at all in the draft will be a complete misfire, especially given how beat up Cam got this year. I think he lost confidence in both his line and the officials to keep him protected, so the Panthers have to address the one they have control over. If Cam Robinson goes before our pick, try to trade down and pick back up the fourth you traded away for Andy Lee.

Looks like we'll have an extra 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Norman. Either Hooker or BamCam would be lovely 1st round. I'm all-in on either of those two. Which means we'll probably draft a tweener LB or another DT.

Looks like we'll have an extra 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Norman. Either Hooker or BamCam would be lovely 1st round. I'm all-in on either of those two. Which means we'll probably draft a tweener LB or another DT.

I really hope we don't get into a habit of not signing talent and plugging holes through the draft.

Well, we resigned Luke and Cam and have intentions of resigning Kawann. Aside from Norman, who are the key guys G-man has let walk ?

This year's FA's:

Unrestricted Free Agents (15)
RB Fozzy Whittaker
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
OT Mike Remmers
G Chris Scott
C Ryan Wendell
DE Charles Johnson
DE Mario Addison
DE Wes Horton
DT Kawann Short
DT Kyle Love
LB A.J. Klein
CB Teddy Williams
CB Leonard Johnson
S Colin Jones
S Michael Griffin

Restricted Free Agents (5)
WR Brenton Bersin
WR Philly Brown
WR LaRon Byrd
G Andrew Norwell
LB Ben Jacobs

There are some key defensive starters and rotation guys on the UFA list.

Drafting Butler was a pretty clear sign that GMan plans to let KK or Star go.

My guess is we resign Star, end up tagging KK for next year and then assuming Butler shows enough improvement he'll let KK walk next offseason

Edit: forgot we picked up the option on Star - so maybe a little less likely what I said, but still possible

Addison and Remmers (I know, I know) are at the top of the list, other than the obvious DTs.

Also, I'm a Buckeye homer, but I would love to draft Curtis Samuel in the 2nd round. Probably greater needs, but he could be the slot receiver we desperately have been looking for, and also provide some serious backfield help, a la Ty Montgomery. In fact, I think he can be a lot better than Montgomery (who is pretty damn good).

He was tOSU's entire offense for much of the year, and obviously against Clemson. His combine numbers are going to be off the charts though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip into the late 1st. If he somehow slips to the 3rd, he'd be a must-take IMHO.

Good for him. He deserved a shot after last year and I'm happy our stink didn't cost him his chance.

So now Wake and the Panthers need a DC and both will likely hire from within.

Congrats to McDermott. Look forward to beating him in his return to Charlotte next year.

‏@AdamSchefter
Sean McDermott's likely DC in Buffalo is Panthers LB coach Al Holcomb, per source. Logical hire and promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back