• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cruz's swag would fit well on our squad. He could have a big year getting healthy, and not having a mouth breathing donk tossing him the rock.

Not sure if I think he would be the #1, but he might be like a #1A to Benjamin. Cruz has played his entire career in the slot, but last year Sterling Shepard took more snaps in the slot than any other WR in the NFL, so Cruz was lining up on the outside the entire season. Combine that new position with coming back from injuries that sidelined him for 2 seasons and he wasn't as productive as in the past, yet still had 39/586 as the 3rd option, which is pretty remarkable given the two guys ahead of him.

Now obviously a big reason why he wasn't playing in the slot is because they were worried about the strength of his knee, but he made it through the season fine and most people say the second year after a major injury (or two) is when a player gets back into form. I don't think he'll ever have the top-level explosion that he used to have, but he can still run routes and catch for possession, and will probably have some explosive plays if he is back in the slot and gets the occasional LB coverage. That being said, his size is the anti-KB/Funchize, and he isn't getting up into the air like this any more to catch Cam's wild overthrows, so Cam has to keep the ball down or it will be pick city.

victor-cruz-one-handed-catch-o.gif

eli-manning.jpg

I think Cruz's swag would fit well on our squad. He could have a big year getting healthy, and not having a mouth breathing donk tossing him the rock.

Yeah. He's a bonafide playmaker.

Yeah. He's a bonafide playmaker.

He is also really good at cutting off his route and getting open when the QB is pressured. Eli usually just throws it away rather than try to run, but Cruz could definitely get some separation if Cam starts moving around. It is a pretty low risk, high reward move for the Panthers given that he can't command much $ compared to their massive cap space.

DT Paul Solail released.

And Fat Mike is released! Whoa.

Last edited:
Fat Mike is free to get fatter.

It was about time. It was hard to justify giving him a valuable roster spot last year. Glad they made the right move this year. To be honest, he hasn't been effective since the 2013 season.

Has any other Panther ever been cut after having a pro bowl season? Loved me some Fat Mike, but he hit his wall.

Wouldn't mind getting a hard nosed H-back type who can play on the LOS as well. Especially if we don't draft the TE of the future.

Yeah, I think in general the trend is going to be guys who can be more versatile and play FB, H-back, and be the 2nd or 3rd tight end for this position rather than a traditional fullback.

Yeah, I think in general the trend is going to be guys who can be more versatile and play FB, H-back, and be the 2nd or 3rd tight end for this position rather than a traditional fullback.

Such as a DT/FB combo? #NikitaWhitlockBatSignal :plos:

I mean, we did cut a DT and FB within minutes of each other.

Couple recent roster moves of interest:

Bene signed with the Bengals.

The Dolphins cut Mario Williams. If we can get him cheap, I'd be OK taking a flier and see if he has any interest in trying again.

2017 Panthers Draft Thread

The Dolphins are cutting left and right.

Looking back, Jared Allen, Jericho, and Peanut were important veteran additions to the Super Bowl team. I hope GM is looking in that direction to fill gaps.

Not sure if Mario Williams fits that bill though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back