• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that and not leaving your franchise QB and league MVP with an incompetent OL and no WR for 2 years, one of which he still somehow got us to the Super Bowl. Plus we're still $16 million under the cap. Get someone who isn't afraid to pay people (note, not overpay) and make some free agent splashes.

Who are these magic people we were supposed to pay without overpaying?

Also, I don't really see how those things held us back significantly. Look at our WR corps in our Super Bowl year. And he unearthed several decent-to-solid OL options from UDFAs and cast-offs

Last edited:
I'm guessing gman was being a dick to Olsen and Davis and/or not making progress on Turner and Norwell and Star

I've read in the past that Beane did most of the traditional GM work and gman did scouting and roster planning. With Beane in Buffalo maybe gman wasn't cutting it. Still seems like a weird move.

Umm, any big name FA, specifically non injury-prone tackles? I don't specifically have anyone in mind, especially at this point. Was more talking about the future.

Edit: after a quick check, it appears Gary Barnidge, Ryan Clady, and a bevy of WR options (not Bersin) are still available.

Well, that and not leaving your franchise QB and league MVP with an incompetent OL and no WR for 2 years, one of which he still somehow got us to the Super Bowl. Plus we're still $16 million under the cap. Get someone who isn't afraid to pay people (note, not overpay) and make some free agent splashes.

Splashing $ in free agency usually doesn't amount to success on the field. Gman lacked tact and I hated how he treated Smitty, but he's handling the franchise like other proven winners and has an above average success rate on draft picks 2nd round or later, something we had never had before. Apparently there was some friction between him and Big Cat. Still not a fan of this move. Gman had us moving in the right direction as a franchise.

Splashing $ in free agency usually doesn't amount to success on the field. Gman lacked tact and I hated how he treated Smitty, but he's handling the franchise like other proven winners and has an above average success rate on draft picks 2nd round or later, something we had never had before. Apparently there was some friction between him and Big Cat. Still not a fan of this move. Gman had us moving in the right direction as a franchise.

Agree, to an extent. But we are in a position where we're a "contender" with a young nucleus, and should be a desirable place to play for marquee veteran FAs. I don't expect to be able to get them on the cheap, like the NBA ring-chasers, but from what it looks like, we never even swing the bat.

We did spend a boatload on an offensive tackle this offseason, IIRC. Whether you like the signing or not, money was spent. If a guy's still available on the street right now, I'm gonna guess he's not a significant difference maker.

And the overspending on talent that reading through the tea leaves Jerry maybe wants to do again, was the reason he didn't have money to spend before the last couple years

Agree, to an extent. But we are in a position where we're a "contender" with a young nucleus, and should be a desirable place to play for marquee veteran FAs. I don't expect to be able to get them on the cheap, like the NBA ring-chasers, but from what it looks like, we never even swing the bat.

Agree and disagree.

Panthers are interesting in that they have cap space but also have Norwell,Turner, and Star approaching free agency. They needed vets to sign up on one year prove it deals but don't have the starting spots to offer those vets to audition for a longer term deal elsewhere.

They've got good depth in many places. And hamstrung by not a brilliant coach that's fiercely loyal to his incompetent OC. Gett made good signings. He's never going to be accused of being a people person and sometimes struck out but got it right more often than not. This is an emotional move by JR and a dumb one.

40-23-1

Also, I don't really see how those things held us back significantly. Look at our WR corps in our Super Bowl year. And he unearthed several decent-to-solid OL options from UDFAs and cast-offs

I don't think the last part is actually true, and I think Cam having serious injuries at the end of each season underlines it

I don't think the last part is actually true, and I think Cam having serious injuries at the end of each season underlines it

You don't think Norwell (UDFA), a healthy Oher (a castoff), Remmers as a RT outside of the SB (a castoff) were "decent to solid OL options?"

I think Gettleman worshipped Parcells and the curmudgeon persona. So he cultivated that, and he didn't have the cache to do it. And the players, the team, and the front office didn't like him. And especially Richardson didn't like him. I worked out this summer a good bit with Olsen, and just helped with a kids' camp with him. Trust me when I tell you that the players didn't like Gettleman but most of all they didn't trust him. Olsen was pissed this summer, and would have done more than most people and writers think he would have to stand up for himself. I think he would have held out as long as it took, and Gettleman was not the guy for that situation. He would have been stubborn enough to have a lengthy standoff with Olsen (and the same it all true for Davis I think) and Richardson knew it.

I get the bad feeling that this is going to mire us in mediocrity for the next 3 - 4 years, aka, Cam's prime.

I get the bad feeling that this is going to mire us in mediocrity for the next 3 - 4 years, aka, Cam's prime.

How so ? The team's good on paper, just added two promising young early round backs. Has young solid players emerging in the secondary. Has MVP talent at QB and MLB. Is solid up front on defense. Needs depth at offensive line, like everyone in the league, and need a more proven and younger corps of defensive ends/edge rushers for the long term. We'll see what happens at WR this year.

Locking up Olsen and Davis for a couple of years at market value isn't going to hamstring the team.

I'm just never a fan of shaking things up when what we had was working. I thought Rivera and Gettleman had good chemistry in that they communicated well, and Gettleman got the guys Rivera needed to succeed. Now we may bring in a guy who doesn't mesh as well, and we could start drafting and acquiring all sorts of guys Rivera may not know how to use. Idk, like I said, it's just a bad feeling. I'm a big fan of consistency when something is working. Could it be a preemptive move before a crash? Perhaps, but I'm not betting on it.

Agree that we have a lot of talent. It's why I was so excited about the season until we decided to mix things up. It just seems like an unnecessary change at this point, and one more thing the team has to worry about. But I guess the assumption is that Gettleman was creating more problems than introducing a new GM before a contending season would.

Last edited:
I've read in the past that Beane did most of the traditional GM work and gman did scouting and roster planning. With Beane in Buffalo maybe gman wasn't cutting it. Still seems like a weird move.

Then why hell did he not make this move in January and just promote Beane? Now we have to GM search a week before training camp. The timing of this is completely infuriating. This was an idiotic and impulsive move made by a curmudgeonly old asshole that has to make sure he's the biggest swingin' dick in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back