• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why hell did he not make this move in January and just promote Beane? Now we have to GM search a week before training camp. The timing of this is completely infuriating. This was an idiotic and impulsive move made by a curmudgeonly old asshole that has to make sure he's the biggest swingin' dick in the room.

He IS the biggest swinging dick in the room. He's the owner. Gettleman was the one that had that need, not Richardson. Gettleman saw things from the business side only, and if a player tried to challenge that then Gettleman just dug in further. No doubt it's a business, but there's more to it than that when you are dealing with a TEAM. I'm telling you, this was headed for a thing with Olsen and maybe Davis too. How would you have felt about Gettleman if Olsen is still in a holdout situation a week before the season? That's why the move wasn't made in January.

He IS the biggest swinging dick in the room. He's the owner. Gettleman was the one that had that need, not Richardson. Gettleman saw things from the business side only, and if a player tried to challenge that then Gettleman just dug in further. No doubt it's a business, but there's more to it than that when you are dealing with a TEAM. I'm telling you, this was headed for a thing with Olsen and maybe Davis too. How would you have felt about Gettleman if Olsen is still in a holdout situation a week before the season? That's why the move wasn't made in January.

Lot of assumptions here though. Olsen may have held out, he may not have. He may still even with Gettleman out if he doesn't get a restructure if that's what he wants. But also, letting one potential contract dictate whether our largely successful GM should keep his job I think that's not a great basis (and I love Olsen and would hate to have him leave/hold out/be unhappy) for a decision. I'm sure we'll get more details about this as time passes but if Big Cat let him go because he thought Gettleman would play hardball with Olsen and TD then I don't agree with this at all.

What will be more fun is when Cam convinces Calvin Johnson to come out of retirement, and the new GM makes it happen. BOOM.

Happy Birthday to Jerry Richardson !!!

jerry-richardson-colts-1959-ap.jpg

If all it takes to be the Panthers GM is someone who is nice to the players and can spend money the organization doesn't have, then I should submit my resume. I wouldn't be nearly as mean to Funchess as you guys are.

If we rehire Hurney Smitty might end up signing an $80m contract.

It's so fucking stupid. I would rather not have a GM and let Ron make personnel decisions for the year instead of rehiring that turd.

what the hell. Maybe we should fire D Manning and hire [Redacted] again.

Overall G-man was good but I think the fact that one of our bad teams somehow won the division at 7-8-1 kinda masks the fact that he kept up the panthers tradition of good season then bad/mediocre good season then bad/mediocre. Not to mention those bad seasons happened after unnecessarily axing our best players at positions that turned into massive weaknesses

Last edited:
Maybe so, but 41 of the 60 players on the superbowl team were Gman acquisitions. Let that sink in a bit.

This is quite possibly the best news for ATL, NO and Tampa all season.

What do you want to sink in?

Three years after getting canned, the Super Bowl core was Hurney guys?

After we drafted in the top ten for a few years because the teams he had been putting together were trash

If Can blew out his arm like Jake and then we had to enter back into the quarterback crapshoot we would royally suck again for a few years. Happens. And damn, the way Cam keeps getting injured while we pick up poo poo platter tackles to protect him we could be looking at that situation yet again. Ps we drafted in the top 10 this year

Hurney named as interim GM. Go fuck yourself, Richardson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back