• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Terdo lost us that game last night tryin to tag from first. Damn.

Going to be real interesting to see what they do next year with Maybin, Peraza, Jace, and Mallex. If Peraza or Jace could play 3rd base, that would help, although I guess the primary fear is that neither is a power bat and 3rd base is seen as a power position. Depending on the type of return they could get, may make sense to deal Maybin while his value is high.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them deal peraza or Mallex, whichever they value less. You can't have a line up with jace, Mallex, Jose, & (presumably) bethancourt. The return for either of them, especially peraza, should be pretty good.

It would have to be a good offer, because even with the multiple options next year at 2B and CF, we still have no LF.

How can we get rid of CJ? Think we can dump him with a prospect?

And this isn't the year we're supposedly going to go crazy in the international market, right?

Right. I think those bonuses reflect last year's record and the international signing money we traded for.

Sent this to my Braves email thread, so will post this hitting prospect update here as well:

Given that we are playing our worst baseball of the season, I will try to inject a little optimism into the serv by giving an update on some of our top hitting prospects:

Mallex Smith (CF) absolutely tore up AA (batted .340 with a .418 OBP and 23 steals) and has been promoted to AAA. He has struggled so far in AAA, but has just 26 at bats so far. Some scouts have compared Mallex to Kenny Lofton.

Jose Peraza is batting .291 with a .317 OBP in AAA. He has been playing at both 2B and some CF. Given that he hits for almost no power, his OBP really has to be better than that if he is going to be an MLB caliber starter. He has only walked 12 times all year, which really drives down his OBP. He is one of the youngest players in AAA (only turned 21 in April), so nothing to be concerned about at this point. Given the way Mallex has played and how much the club LOVES Jace, I would not be stunned to see Peraza traded this offseason.

Rio Ruiz (3B), who came over in the Gattis trade, is struggling at AA, but there are some reasons for optimism. First, he also just turned 21, so he is very young for AA. For some perspective, the college juniors drafted in the first round this year are all 21, and VERY few will play in AA this year. Ruiz will get a whole year there. He has a weak average (.224), but he walks a bunch, so his OBP is a solid .342. Unfortunately, he is currently hitting for NO power at all. That said, plate discipline is one of the best predictors of a young guy eventually breaking out, and Ruiz definitely has that.

Dustin Peterson is in High A Carolina, and has been playing above expectations. He came over in the J-Up deal and is currently batting .281/.354/.414, all SIGNIFICANT improvements from what he did with the Padres last year. He is a LFer so will need to hit for a bit more power to be a viable Major League regular, but this has definitely been an encouraging year from him.

The next two guys are the youngest and.furthest away from the majors, but are the two guys I am most excited about.

Ozhaino (Ozzie) Albies is absolutely tearing up low A Rome. If he was from the States, he would have just graduated high school so again, he is very young for his level. He is batting .329/.380/.419 with 22 steals, and, since a slow-ish start in April as he adjusted to moving up a level, he has been even better than that. He is very small, 5'9'' 150, and will likely draw Jose Altuve comparisons as he moves up the ladder. Given the way he has played so far, those comparisons are certainly fair, though again, he is still a ways off from the majors.

Braxton Davidson, our first round draft pick last year, is also having a very solid year in Low A Rome. Another guy who is quite young (just turned 19), he is batting .266 with a .403 OBP and a .399 SLG. He is a big guy (6'2 210) who should eventually fill out and hit for more power. The good thing is, he already has great plate discipline, which is a skill that is very difficult to teach...you either have it or you don't.

Ruiz is going to need to repeat AA. Peterson has had an excellent season and it is too bad he lost some time while in a groove due to bus crash. Really need Davidson to maintain his current contact rate and not be Cody Johnson.

As 19 year old in Rome, Cody's K:BB ration was 4.5 to 1

Davidson's as a 19 year old at Rome is currently 1.4 to 1

One concern that I did not mention is why we have a lot of guys with impressive OBPs in the minors, the SLG numbers are really grim. From the major league level on down, no organization has less power in the system than the Braves do right now.

My favorite brave Kris Medlen has started his rehab assignment for KC. Hoping for the best for him.

So we draft pitchers and get our position guys from free agency. I like it.

Apparently, we are looking to make a trade(s) for more bonus money to avoid penalties. We've agreed to sign Pache as well and expected for Juan Morales and some others to fill out DSL roster if we can figure out the money.

Heck yeah bravos, ManBan looked good but was pulled because of dehydration. Maybin walks the Braves off against Scherzer.

I don't get the way the international thing works at all, but it seems like the Braves know what they're doing, so that's good.

Unfortunately, we are getting bent over acquiring money to make good on our verbal agreements and avoid penalty. Had to part ways with some big upside albeit raw 'spects and need one more deal for about 100k bonus.

Back