• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

I am inclined to agree with you considering that prior to 2017 we will have to figure out C, SS, 3B, 2B, and CF.

I think 2018 or 2019 will be the year. CF should be figured out with Mallex. SS with Ozzie. 2B is a question of whether Jace can produce or not. 3B looks like it *should* be figured out. Whether it's Rio or Riley, who knows. Riley is further off though as he was just drafted this year. Catcher is a question mark as well. Probably will be solved by trades.

I think 2018 or 2019 will be the year. CF should be figured out with Mallex. SS with Ozzie. 2B is a question of whether Jace can produce or not. 3B looks like it *should* be figured out. Whether it's Rio or Riley, who knows. Riley is further off though as he was just drafted this year. Catcher is a question mark as well. Probably will be solved by trades.

Agree with most except that we are expecting the Cuban to be a primetime player at 33

Maybe some of the international players we will get this year with our big money slots will pan out soonish.

Agree with most except that we are expecting the Cuban to be a primetime player at 33

Agreed. Totally forgot about that. By then, Olivera & Markasis won't be playing top ball. Corner OF spots will become a hole that we'll have to fill.

Deacdixieboy, unless Maitan is even better than expected, it should be at minimim 4 years till he's ready, which would be 20 years old. Realistically, we should see him at age 22 or so, maybe 21. International signings take a while because they're normally signed at 16.

Anyone else see the article on the Hot Stove thread that we are even shopping FF??

Anyone else see the article on the Hot Stove thread that we are even shopping FF??

Have to think that's unlikely. I will say, I supported all the trades made last year. They were painful, but made sense if you've accepted that they weren't going to extend Heyward. The Simmons trade doesn't make sense to me, but I'm hanging in there. If they trade Freeman, at that point I think any strategy is not motivated by a desire to win in 2017 or 2018, but rather the strategy is to have a Marlins-level payroll, minimize Liberty Media's losses next year, and maximize profits when the new park opens. That would not sit well. Not to sound alarmist, but I've been a Braves fan for 30 years, and if they trade Freeman, I'm not sure I could stomach sticking around. Fortunately, again, I don't think it'll happen.

Have to think that's unlikely. I will say, I supported all the trades made last year. They were painful, but made sense if you've accepted that they weren't going to extend Heyward. The Simmons trade doesn't make sense to me, but I'm hanging in there. If they trade Freeman, at that point I think any strategy is not motivated by a desire to win in 2017 or 2018, but rather the strategy is to have a Marlins-level payroll, minimize Liberty Media's losses next year, and maximize profits when the new park opens. That would not sit well. Not to sound alarmist, but I've been a Braves fan for 30 years, and if they trade Freeman, I'm not sure I could stomach sticking around. Fortunately, again, I don't think it'll happen.

Agreed re: Freddie. He is the type of player that has more valuable to the Braves (only good hitter, face of franchise) than he would to another team (pretty good, but not great 1B).

I larhely agree with SayHey re: the trades -- with the exception of the deal for Olivera. I am actually hoping he tears it up in the first half and then we deal him at the deadline for young guys. Could get a big haul given his cheap salary.

I larhely agree with SayHey re: the trades -- with the exception of the deal for Olivera. I am actually hoping he tears it up in the first half and then we deal him at the deadline for young guys. Could get a big haul given his cheap salary.

To be clear, I was only referring to the off-season trades last year. The Olivera trade only baffles me more now that we know he can't play 3B. How is it possible the Braves didn't know that?

The Olivera trade is perhaps the main thing making me think a Freeman trade is unlikely. Trading for a 30-year-old Cuban prospect, then trading away your 26-year-old face of the franchise would make absolutely no sense.

I think I agree. The only trade that I don't understand is the Wood/Peraza trade. JHey & Upton made sense - $$. Gattis made sense - he's built to be a DH. Kimbrel made sense - there is no need to be paying $13 million to a closer. We had Grilli playing really well until he blew his achilles out. Simmons - he can't hit worth a lick, will probably regress in hitting this year & is due to regress on D in the coming years. But trading Freeman wouldn't make sense at all.

I think I agree. The only trade that I don't understand is the Wood/Peraza trade. JHey & Upton made sense - $$. Gattis made sense - he's built to be a DH. Kimbrel made sense - there is no need to be paying $13 million to a closer. We had Grilli playing really well until he blew his achilles out. Simmons - he can't hit worth a lick, will probably regress in hitting this year & is due to regress on D in the coming years. But trading Freeman wouldn't make sense at all.

What is all this "can't hit worth a lick" talk with Simba? His ranks among ML SS last year:

AVG: 6th
OBP: 4th
SLG: 17th
OPS: 13th
2B: 14th
3B: 19th
HR: 28th

I don't think those ranks are anything to sneeze at.

What is all this "can't hit worth a lick" talk with Simba? His ranks among ML SS last year:

OBP: 4th
SLG: 17th
OPS: 13th
2B: 14th
3B: 19th
HR: 28th

I don't think those ranks are anything to sneeze at.

yeah the ranks aren't bad, but i think that goes to show that SS is generally a position without much hitters. a .321 OBP put him 4th among SS. The two seasons prior to this season, his OBP was sub .300 which is horrible. 2014 was .286 which cannot be justified as good. If you look at those ranks for 2014 or 2013, it's nowhere near as good. I think the fear the management has of him regressing at the plate are reasonable.

2013:

OBP: 11th
SLG: 6th
OPS: 7th
2B: 9th
3B: 3rd
HR: 4th

2014:

AVG: 15th
OBP: 18th
SLG: 16th
OPS: 16th
2B: 19th
3B: 8th
HR: 14th

The Braves would never say it publicly, but I think their rationale was that Simmons was regressing defensively, and that by 2018 (again, the year I think they are realistically aiming for), he would not be as valuable to them as Newcomb/Ellis would be. They could certainly be wrong, but my gut says that it what their rationale was.

Also think that once Price and Greinke sign, Braves will trade Julio to a team that missed out on those two. He would have to be a lot more attractive to a team that needs a starter than paying 80 million plus for Cueto or Zimmerman.

2013:

OBP: 11th
SLG: 6th
OPS: 7th
2B: 9th
3B: 3rd
HR: 4th

2014:

AVG: 15th
OBP: 18th
SLG: 16th
OPS: 16th
2B: 19th
3B: 8th
HR: 14th

When a .248 BA puts you 6th among your position, your position doesn't have hitters. I don't think you should claim value in his bat based off ranks of a weak hitting position.

But to say he can hit well isn't true. The fear of regression at the plate + fear of regression (which is statistically coming soon with regards to age) on defense made us go get top value for him.

When a .248 BA puts you 6th among your position, your position doesn't have hitters. I don't think you should claim value in his bat based off ranks of a weak hitting position.

But to say he can hit well isn't true. The fear of regression at the plate + fear of regression (which is statistically coming soon with regards to age) on defense made us go get top value for him.

Come on buck, OF COURSE you claim value based off the ranks among players that play his position.

maybe so. but a .248 hitter has very little value except on the defensive side.

especially when your offense already blows.

Woof. That's just a straight salary dump. Guess that clears up the OF logjam.

Back