• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

This is another move that I hate right now and firmly believe I will still hate two years down the line. But we'll see.

I'm out. Been a Braves fan since the 1970's. I'm done. And I won't return.

This front office is digging itself a hole. By the time this team is competitive again there won't be anyone who cares about coming to the games.

Tough to swallow but I feel a little better having glanced at the Angels' SB Nation blog. Those fans are pissed.

This nails it imho. Last year made some sense until Markakis. That spend threw serious doubt over the idea that the Braves really knew what they were doing.

"It probably wasn't about money, though. It was about the Braves thinking they were selling high, which meant this was their best chance to build a super team to blow the doors off the stadium that no one wanted that people can't get to. Okay. I'll appeal to authority, here. Maybe the Braves know something we don't.

What it looks like from here, though, was that the Braves traded a rare, generational defender under team control for the next five seasons for a couple of pitching prospects. Did the Braves get more than the A's got for three months of Scott Kazmir? Probably. But the fact that we're asking this question suggests they got an ordinary return for an extraordinary player.

Trusting the process worked in Kansas City. We all looked stupid on that one. Maybe this will be a reverse-brilliant trade after all. From here, though, I have no idea what the Braves were thinking. Newcomb can't just become a good pitcher to even this deal out. He has to be outstanding. He has to follow the path everyone expects, which isn't how pitching prospects usually work.

Smooth defensive masters usually keep on keepin' on, though, especially when they're just entering their mid-20s. He was safe, he was filled with upside beyond his predictable value, he was relatively inexpensive, and he was a fan favorite.

I don't get it. I just don't get it." -Brisbee

This nails it imho. Last year made some sense until Markakis. That spend threw serious doubt over the idea that the Braves really knew what they were doing.

"It probably wasn't about money, though. It was about the Braves thinking they were selling high, which meant this was their best chance to build a super team to blow the doors off the stadium that no one wanted that people can't get to. Okay. I'll appeal to authority, here. Maybe the Braves know something we don't.

What it looks like from here, though, was that the Braves traded a rare, generational defender under team control for the next five seasons for a couple of pitching prospects. Did the Braves get more than the A's got for three months of Scott Kazmir? Probably. But the fact that we're asking this question suggests they got an ordinary return for an extraordinary player.

Trusting the process worked in Kansas City. We all looked stupid on that one. Maybe this will be a reverse-brilliant trade after all. From here, though, I have no idea what the Braves were thinking. Newcomb can't just become a good pitcher to even this deal out. He has to be outstanding. He has to follow the path everyone expects, which isn't how pitching prospects usually work.

Smooth defensive masters usually keep on keepin' on, though, especially when they're just entering their mid-20s. He was safe, he was filled with upside beyond his predictable value, he was relatively inexpensive, and he was a fan favorite.

I don't get it. I just don't get it." -Brisbee

This isn't necessarily true though. http://www.hardballtimes.com/fielding-aging-curves/ this article goes into when defense peaks and its right around. Tango says taht for SS it peaks around 22-24. Although Simmons is a stud right now, there is no telling when he'll start to regress, if he hasn't already. He also can't really hit worth a lick. When we are all complaining about our offense sucking, Simba didn't help it.

I think the big thing the braves are going for is arms as currency. Somebody on r/braves posted a list of our pitchers under 24, and its absurd. Those have way more value on the trade market than position players.

Also, people didn't think that the Angels could swing this deal because Newcomb was untouchable. I'm excited to see what this guy has. Do I wish we kept simmons, yes. But I understand it.

This front office is digging itself a hole. By the time this team is competitive again there won't be anyone who cares about coming to the games.

So much this. Blowing up the team and getting rid of fan favorites is not the thing to do when you're in the middle of trying to pay for & fill a new stadium. I stuck with the team through the abyss of the 80s, but my patience is about gone with these boneheaded moves. #FireTheWholeBravesFrontOffice

I'm out. Been a Braves fan since the 1970's. I'm done. And I won't return.

It's a liberating feeling. I've been free for ten years. This team will suck until some rich guy buys them who wants to win.

This isn't necessarily true though. http://www.hardballtimes.com/fielding-aging-curves/ this article goes into when defense peaks and its right around. Tango says taht for SS it peaks around 22-24. Although Simmons is a stud right now, there is no telling when he'll start to regress, if he hasn't already. He also can't really hit worth a lick. When we are all complaining about our offense sucking, Simba didn't help it.

I think the big thing the braves are going for is arms as currency. Somebody on r/braves posted a list of our pitchers under 24, and its absurd. Those have way more value on the trade market than position players.

Also, people didn't think that the Angels could swing this deal because Newcomb was untouchable. I'm excited to see what this guy has. Do I wish we kept simmons, yes. But I understand it.

I definitely hope this is true. My agreement with the article is more about the Markakis move casting doubt onto the rest of the moves than it is this one move in particular.

So much this. Blowing up the team and getting rid of fan favorites is not the thing to do when you're in the middle of trying to pay for & fill a new stadium. I stuck with the team through the abyss of the 80s, but my patience is about gone with these boneheaded moves. #FireTheWholeBravesFrontOffice

With season tickets that are almost double the price of comparable seats at Turner Field. My season ticket block split has aisle seats in the 9th row right at the end of the Braves dugout. We currently pay about $43/ticket. For seats in the same location at SunTrust Park, we would have to pay $90/ticket (which would include a $10 food/beverage credit, so $80 for the seat).

Astros East.

I'm hoping we get it back on track faster than the Houston rebuild. I've got family in Houston, including one that works for the Astros, and as miserable as the 11-13 seasons were, they all agree the return and the promising future has been worth it.

Coppy and the Braves don't seem to be tearing it down as hard as the Astros, though, so hopefully we'll just suck for this year, and get excited about the young kids next year, then be relevant from '18 on.

Who wants to buy stock in the Braves??!?! Time to buy low I guess!

Interesting note in the article that seems contradictory to the consensus on this thread that the Braves will have trouble "paying" for the new stadium:

"In a filing with the SEC earlier this month, Liberty said that revenues for the Braves fell $16 million in the nine months that ended in September. That was largely due to lower attendance and concession sales at the Braves' Turner Field. But the bright spot of the team's poor performance is that operating profits increased by $9 million -- mainly because the team had such a low payroll."

I hope our front office realizes that prospects don't always pan out. I get that we're in rebuilding mode but if all these "prospects" don't develop and produce at a high level out we're going to be in trouble for a long time.

I saw DOB Tweeting earlier today that the Braves are really high on Albies, so maybe they don't view it as as big of a loss

I've seen Albies each of the last 2 seasons. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of him but he has a ton of tools. He won't be Simmons in the field (who is?) but likely will be a huge disrupter offensively. I thought the Braves might convert him to center field and keep Simmons. Guess they are penciling in the Smith kid in center.

I've seen Albies each of the last 2 seasons. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of him but he has a ton of tools. He won't be Simmons in the field (who is?) but likely will be a huge disrupter offensively. I thought the Braves might convert him to center field and keep Simmons. Guess they are penciling in the Smith kid in center.

Why would they move Ozzie to CF? Mallex started hitting AAA pretty well after he got adjusted. He killed AA. Having him & Ozzie at the top of the line up in the future is going to be fun.

If anything, the braves started playing Ozzie at 2nd because Simmons was blocking him at SS. They've now moved him back.

They won't do it because of the new stadium, but I wish the Braves would just come out and say that they are building more for 2018/19 than they are for 2017. I think that when they made the Heyward deal and got Miller back, they thought they would be able to get similar ML-ready young guys back in other deals, and once that turned out not to be the case, they pushed the timetable back internally.

Why would they move Ozzie to CF? Mallex started hitting AAA pretty well after he got adjusted. He killed AA. Having him & Ozzie at the top of the line up in the future is going to be fun.

If anything, the braves started playing Ozzie at 2nd because Simmons was blocking him at SS. They've now moved him back.

I have more hope for Peterson than most do.

They won't do it because of the new stadium, but I wish the Braves would just come out and say that they are building more for 2018/19 than they are for 2017. I think that when they made the Heyward deal and got Miller back, they thought they would be able to get similar ML-ready young guys back in other deals, and once that turned out not to be the case, they pushed the timetable back internally.

I am inclined to agree with you considering that prior to 2017 we will have to figure out C, SS, 3B, 2B, and CF.

Back