• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Relax, bro. That was a reference to godeacsbravesetc's controversial allegation a few years back that Hanson was a well-known cokehead in ATL.

RIP, Big Red.

Sorry for the overreaction. Was a bit drunk and writing a very stressful paper! Very sad news. It's hard to see people's livelihoods get shaken up at such a young age. Most of them have no back up plan, and sometimes sad things like this happen.

No worries, man. It's terrible news. It's crazy how fast his career came and went. Have to wonder if that contributed to his problems.

He always had pretty good mechanics in my opinion. Would've loved to see an organization give him a minor league pitching coach shot.

In other, more lighthearted news, the team is having Olivera play LF in winter ball & looks like that's gonna be his spot when the season comes. Now we will have to move one of OFs in order to accommodate that move.

In other, more lighthearted news, the team is having Olivera play LF in winter ball & looks like that's gonna be his spot when the season comes. Now we will have to move one of OFs in order to accommodate that move.

Front office has to disappointed it has come to this so quickly.

Front office has to disappointed it has come to this so quickly.

One would imagine. In five years, when he's done, hopefully we'll know who our 3B is, Riley or Ruiz. Ruiz struggled at AA last season. Riley smashed in both leagues he played in.

Do people think the rumors about our pursuit of Weiters are true?

weiters is expensive and injury prone. I doubt the Braves go after him but I am sure they have at least inquired. I believe he is also represented by Boras.

i expect the Braves to aggressively try to sign AJ again.

Braves have a lot of holes. I agree that the Bullpen is the most pressing need at this point, especially with a young pitching staff.

Sounds like they are not going to re-sign Minor. Must be health concerns there....

Do people think the rumors about our pursuit of Weiters are true?

Rumors are that we're not pursuing him, which I actually like. I'd rather go cheaper like Lucroy. Wieters is going to be expensive. We have a surplus of arms in the farm. Figure out which ones we really like & are confident in them becoming a front end starter, keep those, make a package around the others.

So what are people's thoughts on the future at catcher? Hoping that CB doesn't suck?

So what are people's thoughts on the future at catcher? Hoping that CB doesn't suck?

There's always been faint rumblings of Lucroy. We have the prospects to do so. But I think the management is going to give Bethancourt one more shot. The farm is really, really weak a catcher, probably the weakest spot in our system.

Sorry for the overreaction. Was a bit drunk and writing a very stressful paper! Very sad news. It's hard to see people's livelihoods get shaken up at such a young age. Most of them have no back up plan, and sometimes sad things like this happen.

Always a great combination. :thumbsup:

Umm anyone else see that apparently we are discussing a Simba trade with someone in the NL West?

Umm anyone else see that apparently we are discussing a Simba trade with someone in the NL West?

Yep. Could get a MASSIVE haul. Don't expect it to be the Padres as we decimated their system last year. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

That would make me so unbelievably sad. How does Simba not fit our plan with his very reasonable long term contract? Also, would the haul be that massive? I don't know...

DOB said we want to add pieces without adding future payroll obligations & Simmons allows us to do that. I could see Puig + prospect for Simmons + lower level prospect. But that wouldn't really lower payroll. It'd be great if we could swap Simmons for Arenado straight up but that won't happen.

The alert I just got says Padres...not sure what they can still give us.

Soon the entire organization will consist solely of Freeman, Olivera, and 175 pitching prospects.

Back