• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

Why trade Andrelton ? Is our park not being built anymore ?

Seems odd to me that you'd structure your entire rebuild around young pitching prospects, then trade one of the best fielding shortstops in the history of baseball. Seems like the best thing you could do for those young pitchers is to have Simmons in your infield. He's also young and signed long term to a reasonable contract. Front offices should always be willing to listen to offers, but unless it is a ridiculously great offer, not sure how you could trade him.

8:58am: The Mets checked in on Simmons this morning and were met with the asking price of Jacob deGrom or Matt Harvey, tweets Sherman, which is steeper than New York would care to pay.

Simmons to the angels. We better be getting fucking mike trout back.

Lefty Sean Newcomb and righty Chris Ellis are going to the Braves in return, per MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez (via Twitter) and Joel Sherman of the New York Post (also on Twitter). Those two hurlers were widely considered the best prospects in the Los Angeles system. Newcomb, in particular, is a major asset, as he landed inside the top twenty of prospects league-wide on MLB.com’s latest list.

Halos shortstop Erick Aybar is also heading to Atlanta in the deal, Gonzalez tweets. He’ll likely serve as a placeholder for the Braves, who have a highly-regarded young shortstop in Ozhaino Albies who is a few years off but moving quickly through the system. Atlanta will pick up around $3MM in the swap as well, presumably to offset some of Aybar’s salary, according to Sherman.

ugh.

Newcomb is going to be a stud though, so I can't complain about getting him back. As much as I hate this trade, I think we won it. Newcomb will be a front end starter. Ellis will be a mid to back end starter. Newcomb slots in as #1 prospect, I assume. He was #19 on MLB.com's 2015 list and he only improved his stock. First reaction from beat writers, analysts, etc. seem to be that we got a pretty good haul.

Hopefully we trade for some hitters with all these pitchers. Follow the Giants theory of farming pitchers and buying hitters

I saw DOB Tweeting earlier today that the Braves are really high on Albies, so maybe they don't view it as as big of a loss

It may very well all work out but this sucks right now.

I saw DOB Tweeting earlier today that the Braves are really high on Albies, so maybe they don't view it as as big of a loss

I think everybody is high on Albies. Kid has great tools. Only problem is, he's still at least a year away, more likely two years away.

This is another move that I hate right now and firmly believe I will still hate two years down the line. But we'll see.

We need major league talent. At this point 2017 will not be the year they were promising when we get shut out every other day and are throwing a bunch of unproven arms out there.

Back