• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

How has he been doing in the minors? I feel like if he doesn't work out as a starter, he could be a nasty closer with his velo m

4 starts, 2.05 ERA, 14 walks, 20 Ks, 1.18 whip. As like most of our other arms, he needs to cut down on his walks.

More reasons to dislike Liberty Media. Piling on at this point. Interested to hear wakelaw06's take on the tax shennanigans:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/for-taxpayers-braves-put-down-bats-pick-up-screwdr/nrFfY/

They really F'ed the Mississippi folks:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-atlanta-braves-stadium/

Over the last 15 years, the Braves have extracted nearly half a billion in public funds for four new homes, each bigger and more expensive than the last. The crown jewel, backed by $392 million in public funding, is a $722 million, 41,500-seat stadium for the major league club set to open next year in Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta. Before Cobb, the Braves built three minor league parks, working their way up the ladder from Single A to Triple A. In every case, they switched cities, pitting their new host against the old during negotiations. They showered attention on local officials unaccustomed to dealing with a big-league franchise and, in the end, left most of the cost on the public ledger. Says Joel Maxcy, a sports economist at Drexel University: “If there’s one thing the Braves know how to do, it’s how to get money out of taxpayers.”

Last edited:
More reasons to dislike Liberty Media. Piling on at this point. Interested to hear wakelaw06's take on the tax shennanigans:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/for-taxpayers-braves-put-down-bats-pick-up-screwdr/nrFfY/

They really F'ed the Mississippi folks:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-atlanta-braves-stadium/

Over the last 15 years, the Braves have extracted nearly half a billion in public funds for four new homes, each bigger and more expensive than the last. The crown jewel, backed by $392 million in public funding, is a $722 million, 41,500-seat stadium for the major league club set to open next year in Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta. Before Cobb, the Braves built three minor league parks, working their way up the ladder from Single A to Triple A. In every case, they switched cities, pitting their new host against the old during negotiations. They showered attention on local officials unaccustomed to dealing with a big-league franchise and, in the end, left most of the cost on the public ledger. Says Joel Maxcy, a sports economist at Drexel University: “If there’s one thing the Braves know how to do, it’s how to get money out of taxpayers.”

The stadium stuff is ridiculous, but, to be honest, it's just the way things work these days (and for at least the last decade). Avalon (? - I think) has posted a ton about public financing of professional stadiums and how it's almost never a good deal for the taxpayers. The more interesting thing to me was the structuring of Liberty Media's purchase (or non-purchase asset swap) of the Braves. This is the best article I've found detailing the tax structuring and reasons for the deal. I was still in law school at the time, but my understanding is that there were a lot of similar deals done to take advantage of an expiring provision in the Code. Nothing illegal or even particularly shady about it - a predicable consequence of changes in the tax law. The question of why the provision was included in the Code in the first place is obviously a separate issue and I'm sure one that can be answered with one word - lobbyists.

http://outfieldflyrule.com/2015/11/13/the-atlanta-braves-liberty-media-and-misplaced-anger/

I'm not watching but Folty is giving up dingers in his season debut again. I wish they paired him with Flowers.

Holy fuck they just hit another. 3 dongs to first 5 batters.

Chip just said that the Mets hit three homeruns in the first inning and the Braves for the year have five. I knew our offense was anemic, but holy shit.

The Folty starting ship has probably sailed. Not that a homer prone reliever is ideal....

Yeah, Wisler spun a gem tonight. I didn't watch but I do wonder if he could have gone 9. 106 through 8 but it is early in the season so it makes sense.

Bud Black is the apparent leader to replace Fredi when he gets fired. Pretty uninspiring.

It's too soon to give it to Chipper since this team is hot garbage. I'm cool with letting Chipper take a bench coaching job under a guy like Black, fire Black in a couple years and blame him for the team's woes, and let Chipper take over once we actually field a roster that has some semblance of a major league club.

It's too soon to give it to Chipper since this team is hot garbage. I'm cool with letting Chipper take a bench coaching job under a guy like Black, fire Black in a couple years and blame him for the team's woes, and let Chipper take over once we actually field a roster that has some semblance of a major league club.

I love Chipper but I don't he's smart enough to be a big league manager.

I love Chipper but I don't he's smart enough to be a big league manager.

He may not be a smart Chipper, but he's our Chipper.

Seriously though, you may be right. Although from my perspective it would be a clear upgrade from Frediot. Ever since that hire I have felt like the Marlins are laughing at us for taking their sloppy seconds. I would at least like to see Chipper get a chance as hitting coach; I think he could manage that. Downside is that it would be very ugly if it didn't work out.

It always seemed like Chip was destined to be a hitting coach. Try that first, for sure.

I think this discussion is all irrelevant anyways, because Chipper mentioned during spring training that he doesn't want to be a travelling member of the team. I don't think he's going to want to be anytime soon based on how he said it.

Yeah, for now at least he is comfortable dippin 4wheelin and killin large furry things, including that new playboy bunny (4th?) wife of his on his sweeeeeeeet ranch in bumfuck TX.

Once he fucks that up he might be back tho.

Back