• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread: Acquired Brandon Phillips, Pitchers & Catchers rpt SOON

I think the Braves org philosophy going forward is just that...to have wave after wave of pitchers so that their rotation is almost always homegrown...in other words cheap. In the past eighteen months, they have drafted/acquired what I think is 12 pitchers that were taken in the first 45 picks in the draft (Fried, Folty, Wisler, Blair, Jenkins, Newcomb, Allard, Muller, Wentz, Anderson, Touki, Soroka) plus Sanchez, who would likely have been taken that high as an 18 year old. Add in Sims, first rounder in '12, and that is 14.

That is a LOT of pitching talent to acquire in less than two years.

I hope so too but it will have to be free agency/pitching prospect trades because Maitan will be nowhere near the big leagues.

as the father of a 16 year old, I hope the Braves are staking their future on one

2016 Atlanta Braves Thread: later fredi!

Anderson is from my high school in upstate NY. As a relatively new Atlantan, I'm psyched about this pick.

Is it weird to say that Anderson and I shared the same rubber?

Makes me feel old to know that I last pitched for that high school a year before he was even born. Yikes.

Anderson is from my high school in upstate NY. As a relatively new Atlantan, I'm psyched about this pick.

Is it weird to say that Anderson and I shared the same rubber?

Makes me feel old to know that I last pitched for that high school a year before he was even born. Yikes.

"Toed the same rubber" might make it sound a little less weird.

There are a lot more roster spots for pitchers than any other position, so obviously every team is going to draft more pitchers than any other single position.

Suspect they looked at the draft, saw a lot of HS pitching, not many power hitters, so they took what was available. They're queued to pick up several highly-regarded international position players in a few weeks, perhaps their 3B or corner OFer of the future in Maitan. They also currently sit in the pole position to draft #1 overall next year, and while it's way early, the favorite to go first overall next year is the catcher from U of Florida, JJ Schwarz. So, maybe they're taking a bigger picture view of where their amateur talent will come from.

In any event, I've never seen any of these kids play, so I kind of have to defer to the scouts and experts.

The Braves' director of scouting was on the TV broadcast over the weekend series. He said his job is to get the best players possible regardless of position. He also referred to pitchers as "baseball currency" a couple of times. Chip/Joe harped on that point the rest of the game & used the Shelby Miller trade as an example of pitchers being used to get position players. They also mentioned that teams can trade drafted players at the end of the MLB season (a la Swanson). Sounded like they were hinting at some major off-season trades.

I really doubt the organization went in to the first draft thinking they wanted to grab three high school arms. I would guess they would have taken Moniak or Senzel at 3 but grabbed Anderson under slot hoping for a prep bat they liked to fall to 40 but they all went too.

Hopefully, a consensus 1-1 position guy emerges for 2017 but it looks like 2018 might be the year for a generational bat.

Going to see Rome play in Columbia tonight. Hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel!

Hopefully, a consensus 1-1 position guy emerges for 2017 but it looks like 2018 might be the year for a generational bat.

Wentz and Muller both signed. Anderson will sign soon after his HS graduation, which is June 23.

Austin Riley and Soroka looked like crap. Know it's one game watching but even their mechanics looked awful. Not encouraged.

Austin Riley and Soroka looked like crap. Know it's one game watching but even their mechanics looked awful. Not encouraged.

Twitter says that after the 2nd, he looked fine. Still has amazing command as an 18 year old. Allowed his 15th walk this season in 71 innings to 65 strikeouts. Has not allowed a homerun in his professional career yet.

Twitter says that after the 2nd, he looked fine. Still has amazing command as an 18 year old. Allowed his 15th walk this season in 71 innings to 65 strikeouts. Has not allowed a homerun in his professional career yet.

Yes. He settled down but they were hitting the ball hard all night.

@ .250 Bud Norris has the highest batting average of any Brave in tonight's starting lineup

Back