• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

We have only had 1 coach leave right?

So far only Brett Ballard has left the Wake BB staff.

The speculation went way up when Steve Woodberry got a whole bunch of Twitter followers from Oral Roberts University. ORU just fired BB coach Scott Sutton, (Yup, youngest son of Eddie Sutton, former coach at KY, etc.)

Part of the speculation is that Justin Bauman, the Wake DBO could join the staff of Ballard (Or Woodberry if he gets the ORU job.) That would be a lot of turnover.

Not sure what you mean by premature, Pilchard. This has been a very active season. Two coordinators and two assistants in football and one assistant in basketball is high turnover regardless of either Woodberry and/or Bauman leaves. I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Who was the second coordinator? Ruggiero didn't go anywhere

So far only Brett Ballard has left the Wake BB staff.

The speculation went way up when Steve Woodberry got a whole bunch of Twitter followers from Oral Roberts University. ORU just fired BB coach Scott Sutton, (Yup, youngest son of Eddie Sutton, former coach at KY, etc.)

Part of the speculation is that Justin Bauman, the Wake DBO could join the staff of Ballard (Or Woodberry if he gets the ORU job.) That would be a lot of turnover.

It would also be a positive. Two assistants getting HC jobs in one off-season shows it's a really good job to take.

If Woodberry and Bauman leave in the next couple of days, maybe be can hire a friend of Bamba or Kevin Knox. :)

Anyone else notice that Woodberry added a bunch of Oral Roberts follows today? Are we going to have more staff turnover than we thought?

Oral Roberts Hoops Coach Fired After 2 Bad Seasons Where He Was Only Allowed To Recruit “Professed Christians” With No Tattoos

From the original story:

After Wilson became the university president in June 2013, sources report, he presented to the basketball program a new guideline — that ORU would attempt to recruit only professed Christians.

Instead of recruiting any athlete who was a solid person and academically acceptable while outfitted with the ability to contend for Summit League championships, Scott Sutton did as he was told, sources say. Instead of signing athletes and hoping they might be inspired by the ORU culture, Sutton narrowed his focus to prospects who would testify that they already were Christian.

Oral Roberts Hoops Coach Fired After 2 Bad Seasons Where He Was Only Allowed To Recruit “Professed Christians” With No Tattoos

From the original story:

After Wilson became the university president in June 2013, sources report, he presented to the basketball program a new guideline — that ORU would attempt to recruit only professed Christians.

Instead of recruiting any athlete who was a solid person and academically acceptable while outfitted with the ability to contend for Summit League championships, Scott Sutton did as he was told, sources say. Instead of signing athletes and hoping they might be inspired by the ORU culture, Sutton narrowed his focus to prospects who would testify that they already were Christian.

If that's the criteria for recruiting only a desperate coach will take the job.

I mean it's basically the criteria at UVA under Bennett too. He's quite devout.

No player on UVA has a single tattoo? I've never seen anything where there is a Christian litmus test to play for UVA. Please show such a link.

No player on UVA has a single tattoo? I've never seen anything where there is a Christian litmus test to play for UVA. Please show such a link.

It's not a litmus test for recruits, I wasn't saying it was. Though in order to play there you have to be cool with all this:

Bennett has built the Cavaliers’ program around the biblical principles of humility, passion, unity, servanthood and thankfulness. He calls them the “Five Pillars,” which he got from his father, ***, who’s now retired from college basketball coaching.

“Whether you’re a believer or not, those are significant for a team,” Bennett said. “They’re (posted) in our locker room, and they’re everything to our program. To be great in basketball, those things have to be there.”

Cavaliers’ senior guard Joe Harris, who was named the most valuable player of the ACC tournament in March, said Bennett emphasizes one of the pillars almost every time he addresses the team.

He apparently talks about it a lot on the recruiting trail too. Not saying they can't have tattoos or have to be Christian though. Just a similarity.

They aren't that much alike. One is a hardcore multi-level litmus test. The other a general statement about being a good person. If you add synonyms, I'd bet dozens (probably even hundreds) of coaches have similar principles. Virtually none have criteria that you must announce your Christian faith and no tattoos.

I personally can't stand tattoos, but don't see it has anything to do with being a Christian. Now if a school wants their players to be Christians, that is their prerogative, but to attach an extraneous condition like this seems silly to me. To be honest I know several strong Christians who have a tattoo and some have several. Matter of fact I don't know anyone who doesn't know Stephen Curry is a self professing Christian and he has a tattoo

Last edited:
I personally can't stand tattoos, but don't see it has anything to do with being a Christian. Now if a school wants their players to be Christians, that is their prerogative, but to attach an extraneous condition like this seems silly to me. To be honest I know several strong Christians who have a tattoo and some have several. Matter of fact I don't know anyone who doesn't know Stephen Curry is a self professing Christian and he has a tattoo

Leviticus 19:28
http://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-28.htm

Back