• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

I have no idea, but I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of D2 coaches make $144k or more

Coppin State hot takes, what a time to be alive.

Welcome to the off season. But hiring Juan Dixon rather than Joe Schmo from NE SW North Dakota Mining College has got people talking about a program that doesn't have the money to get PR.

FWIW, do not agree with RJ that Dixon was the best possible candidate. Was pointing on the reasoning that Coppin used to select Dixon:

- From Baltimore
- Won a NC and played in the NBA
- Prominent name in the Baltimore/MD basketball community
- Assisted at U of MD (granted not a full-time assistant)

No doubt that the hire was a reach as Dixon's head coaching resume is one poor season coaching women's basketball.

Also, agree that there were more deserving candidates for Coppin to consider, but hiring basketball coaches is not about fairness. Coppin is taking a shot and making a splash hire. They certainly have received more pub already than if they hired a deserving unknown. So, they may have won the press conference, but that minor blip is over. Now up to Dixon to either succeed or fail.

I didn't see Pilchard posting, so I'll decry his post as well in order to make sure our board snowflake isn't offended. This is the mentality of losing AD's. Making a splash in coaching is dumb. Hire good coaches and you will win. Yes, sometimes you will get lucky and hire a guy with little credentials and low and behold he becomes a good coach, but by in large programs are sunk, or continue to wallow in sucktitude because AD's don't find the best candidate. There is a massive difference in hiring a guy like Danny Manning who has learned how to coach over a period of a decade and a half and hiring a former superstar player who has shown zero aptitude for coaching thus far in his career. This is all I am going to say about Coppin State, but this is one of my pet peeves. Being a coach is a mental game. It has very little to do with your success as a player. The only advantage being a good player has is in recruiting, and that doesn't always translate. In the end you have to know the game, and you have to know it better than people who have spent their whole life studying it, not playing it. Good luck to Juan, but it was a dumb hire.

This has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with using proper metrics for hiring. It is 1950's way of thinking, and it gets AD's fired because they make stupid decisions.

If Juan Dixon(UMD legend) can get Under Armour(UMD based company) to finance even a small portion of the Coppin State's athletic budget, so the basketball team won't be whored out for as many losses as they have taken over the years, then its a huge win to have him as the Coach.

I see this as a positive hire for Coppin State.

Because of funding, awareness and recruiting issues, hiring a name is cost-effective and lends itself to having a better opportunity.

Wrangor won't answer the question of why a top D2 coach would take a job which has terrible facilities, no budget and has to play a schedule to the fund program that virtually guarantees you a deep losing record versus waiting for a better job or even an assistant's job at a place where you can move on to a better job.

And it's not like the pay at this school is so good. It's among the worst in D1. Some D1 assistants make as much.

Guys from D2 rarely get a second chance if they lose bigly at their first D1 school.

Coppin State is an outlier in D1 due to finances and other issues. In general, Wrangor might have a point, but we are talking about a very specific situation that has a litany of inherent problems.

Last edited:
This is so odd.
Before Juan got there, the UDC Women's team had three straight 20+ win season under DeWayne Burroughs, who left to become the head coach of... Coppin State's women's team. Awkward.

Has Woodberry unfollowed all those Oral Roberts folks now that he is out of the running?

I seriously doubt Woodberry would go to to ORU for anything other than HC.

Could he be under consideration for an assistant coach job? Would that be a step up for him, to go from third assistant at Wake to first assistant at ORU?

He's second assistant. No way would that be a step up. Maybe he just made some good contacts in the process and wants to keep in touch.

Could he be under consideration for an assistant coach job? Would that be a step up for him, to go from third assistant at Wake to first assistant at ORU?

No. Not even close. ORU is not even a mid-major.

Woodberry rarely unfollows anyone on twitter once he has started following them.

Wrangor won't answer the question of why a top D2 coach would take a job which has terrible facilities, no budget and has to play a schedule to the fund program that virtually guarantees you a deep losing record

Money dude.

Can anyone give me an approximate minutes estimation on the starting Coppin State lineup next season?

My best guess on Woodberry is that he interviewed and decided not to take it/didn't get hired. He probably just forgot or doesn't care about unfollowing them.

Back