• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

Can anyone give me an approximate minutes estimation on the starting Coppin State lineup next season?

Clearly you were joking, but here's my best guess:

I can't give minute estimations, but it looks like they need to go the JuCo route---lots of seniors last year. No idea who plays the 5.

PG- Clayton
SG- Thomas
SF- Brownlee
PF- Simpson
C- ???

I've always wondered if you are like 325th in KenPom and lose a bunch of seniors, is that good or bad for the team? Outside of the top 5 stars, most teams who are older are usually better, especially in those conferences, but at some point you just realize the guys on your team just aren't that good and it's good for them to move on.

I can't give minute estimations, but it looks like they need to go the JuCo route---lots of seniors last year. No idea who plays the 5.

PG- Clayton
SG- Thomas
SF- Brownlee
PF- Simpson
C- ???

I've always wondered if you are like 325th in KenPom and lose a bunch of seniors, is that good or bad for the team? Outside of the top 5 stars, most teams who are older are usually better, especially in those conferences, but at some point you just realize the guys on your team just aren't that good and it's good for them to move on.

I remember college football previews about WF football that used to say something like: "WF has 18 returning starters, but given the Deacs winless conference record last year, we are not sure that's a good thing. " Ouch.

Can anyone give me an approximate minutes estimation on the starting Coppin State lineup next season?

There is only one man here with the combination of basketball savvy, foresight, and moxie to do that for us. May we be blessed enough to get his read on this.

PG- Clayton
SG- Thomas
SF- Brownlee
PF- Simpson
C- ???

I believe Chas Brown is actually a junior. He's referred to as a junior in multiple articles on the Coppin State website in game recaps this year.

ETA: He would slot in at Center.

PG- Clayton
SG- Thomas
SF- Brownlee
PF- Simpson
C- ???

Probably Chas Brown. Juco transfer listed as F/C, junior class, who played a lot second half of last season, assuming he is still on the team. He started every game he played beginning Dec 22, and averaged 26 min per game.

Last edited:
Because of funding, awareness and recruiting issues, hiring a name is cost-effective and lends itself to having a better opportunity.

Wrangor won't answer the question of why a top D2 coach would take a job which has terrible facilities, no budget and has to play a schedule to the fund program that virtually guarantees you a deep losing record versus waiting for a better job or even an assistant's job at a place where you can move on to a better job.

And it's not like the pay at this school is so good. It's among the worst in D1. Some D1 assistants make as much.

Guys from D2 rarely get a second chance if they lose bigly at their first D1 school.

Coppin State is an outlier in D1 due to finances and other issues. In general, Wrangor might have a point, but we are talking about a very specific situation that has a litany of inherent problems.

I have said enough about Coppin State. I imagine I don't have anything that would convince you. Peace brother.

Re: Woodberry - I am pretty relieved that Woodberry didn't get the ORU job. It would have obviously been good for him personally, but losing 2 assistants in one year is often difficult to overcome. I am glad he is with us for another year, and I fully expect that he will get another shot at a HC if we continue to have success. So I hope we win a ton of games next year, and he gets an even better job.

Bauman recruiting with Manning. Jeff Battle cameo, too.

C-wrrt5WsAE2IG7.jpg

PG- Clayton
SG- Thomas
SF- Brownlee
PF- Simpson
C- ???

You mean like Devin and CMM ?

sounds like Matta was just fired. so weird, especially the timing.

He's had some health problems and "retired", but there was almost assuredly some pushing on tOSU's side. Buyout probably got negotiated down closer to what he would have been owed in 2018 rather than 2017.

He's had some health problems and "retired", but there was almost assuredly some pushing on tOSU's side. Buyout probably got negotiated down closer to what he would have been owed in 2018 rather than 2017.

Ohio State gets to experience the other side of the fake health retirement versus Urban Meyer.

That is weird.

I looked up ESPN recruiting page. O$U has no Top 100 signees.

I wonder why the timing...

Do they have their eye on an NBA guy that is just becoming available?
Were they waiting to see about certain recruits?
Did Matta do something to piss someone off over the weekend?

Weird.

Seemed like the program had lost its mojo in recent years as the Buckeyes win total has dropped the past 7 years in a row.

tOSU under Matta:

Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten Conference) (2004–2017)
2004–05 Ohio State 20–12 8–8 6th Ineligible
2005–06 Ohio State 26–6 12–4 1st NCAA Round of 32
2006–07 Ohio State 35–4 15–1 1st NCAA Runner-up
2007–08 Ohio State 24–13 10–8 5th NIT Champions
2008–09 Ohio State 22–11 10–8 T–4th NCAA Round of 64
2009–10 Ohio State 29–8 14–4 T–1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2010–11 Ohio State 34–3 16–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Ohio State 31–8 13–5 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2012–13 Ohio State 29–8 13–5 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Ohio State 25–10 10–8 5th NCAA Round of 64
2014–15 Ohio State 24–11 11–7 6th NCAA Round of 32
2015–16 Ohio State 21–14 11–7 7th NIT Second Round
2016–17 Ohio State 17–15 7–11 T–10th

Both Sean and Archie were assistants under Matta as was John Groce.

Last edited:
Back