• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

More evidence that Coach K is some sort of vampire.

I think Mack has to be on the top of their list as Donovan is unrealistic (unless they will pay him at least $8M/year).

Buzz has no ties to VT and little hope at continued success there. He could be bought.

The deal Marshall has at Wichita makes him really difficult to sign. I'd guess, O$U would have to offer at least $4.5M/year for 8-10 years to get him to think about it.

Cinci is home and the dream of Cronin. But O$U can offer more money. Is he smooth enough for them?

Smooth ? What do you mean by smooth ? Matta is not smooth. The list of bums preceding Matta may have been smoother, but they were bums. Gary Williams was decidedly unsmooth.

rj doesn't know smooth bums.

Fred Hoiberg: "Anytime your name is associated with great job, it's an honor. But I'm head coach of the Bulls/have no intention of leaving."

Disaster for Ohio State. At Iowa State and Creighton, he has made the NCAAT once without his son. Has never advanced past the first weekend without his son.

Disaster for Ohio State. At Iowa State and Creighton, he has made the NCAAT once without his son. Has never advanced past the first weekend without his son.

Yeah, I was going to ask if he has any more sons.

Was impressed by Creighton this past year. Dougie McBuckets was long gone, and they were really good until they lost their PG and 2nd best player in mid-January (would've been equivalent to WF losing Crawford a quarter of way into the ACC season). At that time Creighton was 18-1 and a legitimate top 20 program. Not easy to do in Omaha, Nebraska. Even with that loss, Creighton had a good season and made it to the Big East tourney Final. So, McDermott does have coaching chops beyond relying on his kid.

That said, weird that tOSU would fire Matta in June (allegedly due to poor recruiting) to bring in McDermott. Not sure McDermott can massively upgrade recruiting as he excelled at Creighton by bringing in under the radar talent. Would think that the better course for tOSU would've been to keep Matta for one more year, and then make a big run at Mack or Cronin or some other hot name that could massively upgrade the talent in the program.

Did Mack and Cronin turn them down?

Back