• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Clawson said today that they are planning on taking 3 more players in the 2017 class. More if there is any unplanned attrition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any thoughts on positions that we are prioritizing?

Clawson said today that they are planning on taking 3 more players in the 2017 class. More if there is any unplanned attrition.

It's early in the season and things can change, but if Carney and Hinton are the "go to" RB and QB for the rest of the season, I can see some attrition at those spots, given Carney is a frosh and Hinton is a sophomore. WF has 5 other RBs returning next year, and one recruit in the pipeline for 2017. Without any transfers, WF will have 6 scholarship QBs on its roster in 2017, which is an unusually large amount. In this day and age, really hard to keep that many players around at those positions who aren't playing much.

Last edited:
There's almost a 100% chance that either Bowers decommits or one of the quarterbacks on the current roster transfers.

Byrd seems like an RB who could pair with Carney in a two-back set. We need to have 5 or 6 RBs on the roster, so losing more than one would be disappointing.

Byrd seems like an RB who could pair with Carney in a two-back set. We need to have 5 or 6 RBs on the roster, so losing more than one would be disappointing.

Ph has always loved the idea of two back sets.... Not sure if that's something that's better in theory in practice. Really hard to run an offense when 3 players (the QB and the two backs) don't primarily function as blockers.

Ph has always loved the idea of two back sets.... Not sure if that's something that's better in theory in practice. Really hard to run an offense when 3 players (the QB and the two backs) don't primarily function as blockers.

I like the I-formation and I have fond memories of Tarrence Williams and Chris Barclay in the misdirection together.

What I'm describing is essentially what we're already doing when Hines motions into the backfield (see Carney's 1 yard TD). Or any spread option attack that uses a FB running inside the tackles.

Number wise we could use 1 DB and a OL. The third, keep for a special player.

We don't need a two back set. We need two different types of backs. Carney, in a best case scenario, would be a grinder used to wear down defenses. Byrd (or Bell, or whomever else) would be used for 3rd down/long yardage plays and packages that attacked the edge. A two-back set would be part set of packages that exploited the two styles of runner, but should not be the focus of the offense.

Byrd and Christian Beal are change of pace/faster backs. Although different in productivity, Carney, Bell and Reid do essentially the same things and are cut from the same mold. Colburn appears to be a little bit of both.

We're likely to see 2 back sets this weekend from Delaware

Pilch talks as if I'm referring to some crazy concept of two backs in the backfield. He knows too much about football to just dismiss it like that.

I didn't say to convert the entire offense to the I. just a change of pace or short yardage,,,and who would not like to see an Orbital-I ran now and then....

We don't need a two back set. We need two different types of backs. Carney, in a best case scenario, would be a grinder used to wear down defenses. Byrd (or Bell, or whomever else) would be used for 3rd down/long yardage plays and packages that attacked the edge. A two-back set would be part set of packages that exploited the two styles of runner, but should not be the focus of the offense.

Carney appears to be the quickest from a flat-footed dead start. The others want to dance, Carney breaks arm tackles.

True. It's not a great offense but Hinton and Carney are the best fits for it.

I love the fact that Troy Simon changed his Twitter name to "Wake 3-0"

Back