• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Jim Nill strikes again.

Really going to like the Benn, Seguin, Sharp line.

Writers seem really high on the kid Stephen Johns too.

That return on investment in such a short time has to be a professional sports record. Can we get a finance guy to do the present value return number?

If they get $850MM, the return on investment would be over 900%. But, since it was over 16 years, that's about a 16% annual growth rate. (Assuming I did the math correctly.) Not enough to beat Sterling and the Clippers, thanks to that ridiculous price, at 17%.

I have no idea how much money they all took out of the business over the years, though, other than that the Pens owners took out their initial investment.

Ryan Kesler signs six-year $41.25 million extension with Ducks

Giving a 30 year old a six year deal with that cap hit a full year before he hits free agency seems..... not smart.

Andrew Berkshire @AndrewBerkshire
The Penguins are paying Malkin, Crosby, and Kessel $1.25M more than the Ducks are paying Perry, Getzlaf, and Kesler.

Scott Lacey @goat_musings
@DownGoesBrown better be doing 5000 words on Kesler contract.

Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown
@goat_musings Does the word "ha" repeated 5,000 times count?

Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown
Bob Murray was named GM of the Year last season.

Which teams have had the best and worst off-seasons according to the numbers?

Wins-to-Salary-OffSeason.png

Not bad, Caps.

Edit: lol, Coyotes.

Yeah...your last post had me look up cap numbers and I was shocked at where we are. We are in good shape considering the moves we made.

Pittsburgh however...if I am reading it right they have only 17 active players and only #4.7 million cap room. How are they going to fill their roster?

Yeah...your last post had me look up cap numbers and I was shocked at where we are. We are in good shape considering the moves we made.

Pittsburgh however...if I am reading it right they have only 17 active players and only #4.7 million cap room. How are they going to fill their roster?

Ahahaahaha...Rutherford.

After all the hype, only two groups apply for an expansion team, one in Vegas and one in Quebec City:

NHL expansion deadline: No Seattle bids; Las Vegas, Quebec City apply (Reports)

Scott Burnside of ESPN reports that Foley’s application was submitted to the NHL under the name Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC, would does little to disprove the notion that this team will be called the Black Knights. Cue your favorite Monty Python and/or Martin Lawrence and/or Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament jokes.

Quebec City, meanwhile, has the financial heft of Quebecor and an arena set to open in September with a capacity of over 18,000. The media company announced on Monday that “we submitted our candidacy for the NHL expansion process in order to bring the Nordiques back to Quebec City.”

Habs sign Alex Semin for $1.1 million. Dang, that's like enforcer money.

ETA: and Caps sign Holtby for five years, $6 million. Goalie contracts are scary.

Last edited:
Regarding Semin...could he have not gotten more money in Russia.

Glad we locked Holtby up. Don't want a disgruntled net minder. Kind of a scary contract but if he can play at the level he played last year it will be worth it.

Regarding Semin...could he have not gotten more money in Russia.

Probably, but if he wants to continue to play in the NHL, the best bet is to find an opportunity where he can do well next year no matter the price, to make him a more attractive free agent next year. That's a great contract for Montreal, the only risk is that they wasted $1.1MM.

The interesting part will be whether the Habs are a good fit. Their coach is the fun police.

Back